Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaked M$ code

Senior Member registered user

Leaked M$ code

In case some of you are thinking about taking a peek at it, PLEASE think again !
    If you do it will be a risk for any open source project you might contribute code to in the future.

Member registered user
    I downloaded it just for grepping for the swear words; seems to be pretty "clean" code, and well commented too! I don't understand any programming language besides html (if one can call that an programming language) so I won't burn my eyes anyway
    But I agree, DO NOT COPY any code from ms or you will most likely have your project shut down and will have to face huge jailtime/fines; dunno about getting inspiration from that code though..

Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    I downloaded it just for grepping for the swear words; seems to be pretty "clean" code, and well commented too! I don't understand any programming language besides html (if one can call that an programming language) so I won't burn my eyes anyway
    But I agree, DO NOT COPY any code from ms or you will most likely have your project shut down and will have to face huge jailtime/fines; dunno about getting inspiration from that code though..
    Even looking at it is a bad thing (unless you are sure you will never do any programming at all). In any big project there are bound to be some small parts of code that end up looking the same way even though you aren't doing any copying. If you have seen the M$ code they are likely to try to use that against you, which can get really nasty even if their claim is valid or not. The current SCO vs IBM case stands as a warning example. Even though everyone with half a brain understands by now that SCO's claim is bogus they still cause some damage. Just imagine how much worse it could be if they had as much money as M$ does.

Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    Even looking at it is a bad thing (unless you are sure you will never do any programming at all). In any big project there are bound to be some small parts of code that end up looking the same way even though you aren't doing any copying. If you have seen the M$ code they are likely to try to use that against you, which can get really nasty even if their claim is valid or not. The current SCO vs IBM case stands as a warning example. Even though everyone with half a brain understands by now that SCO's claim is bogus they still cause some damage. Just imagine how much worse it could be if they had as much money as M$ does.
    And that not the best of it he is putting his friends at the same risk if they ever visit him at the location where the code is then they are just as tainted because they have access to the code at an unrestricted location so you can not be sure they did not look at it either.

Member registered user
    Admitting in open forums that you have downloaded the code and are in possesion of it is also not a great idea, in my opinion. Given Knoppix's rising popularity and constant presence in the press it seems likely that some M$ employee somewhere is reading the knoppix forum. M$ is going to be looking for scapegoats to file charges against, don't you think? Or at least people to "punish" to make others reconsider downloading it themselves.

Was that a knock at your door?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mightydavefish
    Admitting in open forums that you have downloaded the code and are in possesion of it is also not a great idea, in my opinion. Given Knoppix's rising popularity and constant presence in the press it seems likely that some M$ employee somewhere is reading the knoppix forum. M$ is going to be looking for scapegoats to file charges against, don't you think? Or at least people to "punish" to make others reconsider downloading it themselves.

Was that a knock at your door?
    Ok, guys, you really got me scared now! I doing a wipe -r ./mssource as I write this. pheeww. <- I feel better now
    Thanks anyway, I probably wouldn't have thought about this twice without you!

I am totally sure MS has better things to do then chase after anyone in this forum that is not part of the dev team. If I DLed the code, what will they be able to do? I have no money for them to take, I am only one guy in a town of 4,000 hicks that don't know trackpants and rubber boots don't go together. If I had something of value, it would be my collection of bandanas and dust bunnies! Small potatoes are just small potatoes. I am of no use to them.

If I was advertising their code, selling it, using it, posting it or claiming to use it to hack, well then I can see some sort of involvement. But if I said I had it saved on my HD. I don't think it would be worth them chasing me all the way here just to spank me. It wouldn't profit them in any way!

But in case I am wrong... I don't have any MS code on my computer! Ummm, WAIT! Yes I do!!! Crap!!! I have the whole OS sitting here! In full code!!! I am using it right now!!! Crap!!! I'm Friggin' sunk! MS is going to kick my hoss!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    But in case I am wrong... I don't have any MS code on my computer! Ummm, WAIT! Yes I do!!! Crap!!! I have the whole OS sitting here! In full code!!! I am using it right now!!! Crap!!! I'm Friggin' sunk! MS is going to kick my hoss!
    Scoff at the idea all you want but there are real problems with looking at any proprietary code. Just go into a job interview and drop a BTW I was looking at the source code to windows the other day and see how far that idea or even the possibility of it having happened gets you.

Stephen,

You are so right...

Just look at the music industry, if you write a song, and something just "sounds like" someone elses, they give you the third degree, just to see if you "heard of" the other song.

I think the term is called "tainted"

If you program with computers, just a mere mention of "seeing" someone elses code, can have lawsuites growing out of your ears - even if you never really "saw" anything, you could be inundated [sp] by court hits, to the point your career is in drink. A lot of "software" companies make you sign legal documents, stating that not only what you create is "sole property" of the company, but that you created this product out of your own accord. (use to work as a computer programmer, as a profession, and the legal "mumbo-jumbo" you go through. One of the "big" papers you sign is usually a non-disclosure, and can be as high as 5 years "after" leaving a company, before you can "possibly" work for a competitor.

Viewing proprietary code is a serious thing. The same as the Software Police. But, if you are just "John or Jane Doe", they would rather go after "bigger" fish. One final point though, considering my hypothesis about M$ looking for ways to deflate Linux as a competition, this couldn't be more closer to the truth - Hopefully, anyone who views the code, is not on the "Development Team" for any Linux Distro - It "could" throw Linux into one heck of a lawsuit and court costs...

Just my thoughts,
    Cuddles

Member registered user
    This "I'm too small to be noticed" idea of protection is exactly what folks getting sued by the RIAA used to think.
    If you are a programmer, do not look at or download the code. You can't use it, and it may severely impact your freedom to program in the future (on both windows and linux).
    M$ has lots of money and many many lawyers on staff. If you think they will not protect their IP aggressively then you are utterly incorrect. It will only be a matter of time before arrests or lawsuits are made, I will bet you anything on that. I am sure M$ wants to catch a linux programmer with the code so they can cast doubts about linux's "clean" nature and push more of their FUD into the press.

Am I curious about the code? YES. Do I want to be able to write any code I want without interference from M$? YES. Will I download the code? NO. Should you? Not if you ever plan to release code that may somehow resemble something that is done on windows. If they find it on your PC you are done as a programmer. Not only will they prevent you from releasing code, but try getting a job after being nailed by M$.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast