Thread: error message

error message

I have recently purchased a CD with knoppix 3.3 I have tried it on both my computers. In each case the boot procedure continues normally until the point that I expect to see the desktop. Instead I receive the following message OUT OF RANGE
    Hf 28 - 70 Khz
    Vf 40 - 120 Hz
    79 KHz/ 74 Hz
    The second computer gets the same result but with different numerals.
    What do I have to do to correct this problem ?

Member registered user
    Try "knoppix vsync=60" at boot prompt.

Good luck.

I am sorry but that did not have any effect when I again tried it on either of the computers.

derek wilkinson

Re: error message

Quote Originally Posted by derek wilkinson
    I have recently purchased a CD with knoppix 3.3 I have tried it on both my computers. In each case the boot procedure continues normally until the point that I expect to see the desktop. Instead I receive the following message OUT OF RANGE
    Hf 28 - 70 Khz
    Vf 40 - 120 Hz
    79 KHz/ 74 Hz
    The second computer gets the same result but with different numerals.
    What do I have to do to correct this problem ?
    If memory serves me properly, that message is actually coming from the monitor, not the software. The software is probably sending a signal that isn't compatible with your specific brand/type of monitor.

--Chris ^_^

Senior Member registered user
    Have you tried knoppix xvrefresh=60 noddc some details on the hardware you are using may be useful as well, other cheat codes you may wish to add to the line.

Thank you for your help. I have at least got it to work on one computer but am not sure why. If I may combine yopur suggestions - I have a daytek 77A on one computer and a Princeton eois on the other. I noted one other odd thing. After the out of range message appears there is a verbal message which as far as I can make it out says "initiating ?sequence". Unfortunately at 78 my hearing is not too good. I tried some of the other cheats without effect. Then I noticed that on booting it reaches the point where there is a message "starting single x-window but it disappears before I have time to read it . So I hit the pause button and got a blank screen followed after a few seconds by the knoppix desktop. So it works but I don't know why. This works with the vsync = 60 at boot

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by derek wilkinson
    Thank you for your help. I have at least got it to work on one computer but am not sure why. If I may combine yopur suggestions - I have a daytek 77A on one computer and a Princeton eois on the other. I noted one other odd thing. After the out of range message appears there is a verbal message which as far as I can make it out says "initiating ?sequence". Unfortunately at 78 my hearing is not too good. I tried some of the other cheats without effect. Then I noticed that on booting it reaches the point where there is a message "starting single x-window but it disappears before I have time to read it . So I hit the pause button and got a blank screen followed after a few seconds by the knoppix desktop. So it works but I don't know why. This works with the vsync = 60 at boot
    It is saying "initiating startup sequence" that is a good sign at least the sound is getting detected properly it is definitely having problems with the auto-detection of some hardware in your computers. Firstly have you went into the BIOS in the computers and made sure you have turned off the option for a "Plug'n'Play" OS. Also you should use the knoppix testcd to make sure the disk was burned properly. You may also want to be adding to the cheat codes line the xmodule=?? for the video card you are using. Some more details on the hardware in the machines you are using could prove useful as well.