Thread: Newbie Mount Problem

Newbie Mount Problem

Hello.
    I have installed Knoppix 3.3 to my hard drive. ( I am dual booting with XP).
    The install went fine, but when the system booted up into Linux my CDRW and DVDRW wont mount (its does recognise them during the boot process).
    When I used the Live CD it recognised them and mounted them just fine.
    How could I fix this?
    I would also like to mount my firewire iPod?
    Could anyone help a newbie out!
    Thanks.

my fstab looks like this:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hdb9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hdb8 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdd /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

Senior Member registered user
    Try using lines like this in the /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    This assumes that the dvd/rw is the second cdrom type device in your system. If so you should also rm /dev/dvd to remove the link and then ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/dvd to create the proper link for the dvd so programs that need too will be able to find it. If this is not the case and it is first in the system then switch the /cdrom & /dvd entries in the /etc/fstab example above and leave the link alone.

Stephen,

While I got you on the topic...

I have the DVD (read-only), and then a CDRW, scd0 and scd1, respectfully.

fstab has my DVD as "ro" both linked to scd0 as cdaudio, dvd, and cdrom. Whereas, my CDRW is "also" set as "ro" only linked to scd1 as cdrom1.

Here as the problems:
    (1) If I place a AUDIO CD in the dvd device, I can't open it and view the audio files, I get a bad file system error, or something like that - In windows, I could open a data cd, or a audio cd for viewing. I "can" open a DVD in the dvd device and view it (as a data cd), and also a data cd.

(2) Considering my scd1 device, my CDRW, is mounting as "ro", will I be able to write to this device with the normal cdrecord, etc... software in Debian? Should I create a new link to scd1, named something like "cdrw" and make the entry in fstab as r+w, or something?

(3) I haven't tried this yet, but considering that cdrom1 (cdrw) and cdrom (dvd) devices are both the same options in fstab, I would guess that I can't view AUDIO cd's in my CDRW either. I can play audio cd's in both devices by just using XMMS - and "pointing" them to the devices, and both devices can be mounted, considering a DATA cd is in them, but not audio, and only the dvd can view or play a DVD - which is understandable, and good.

(4) Not using the "record" to a cd within Debian yet, can the packages "normally" supplied with Knoppix on a hdd install, record both AUDIO and DATA cd's, this is actually a three part question: (4a) Can you write a cd in AUDIO ONLY, (4b) Can you write a cd in DATA ONLY, and lastly, (4c) Can you write a cd in MIXED MODE (audio and data on the same cd) ? ? ?

(partial inclusion of my fstab file, only the cdroms)
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

Note that a ls -l on the following, display the following link:
    /dev/cdrom -> scd0
    /dev/cdrom1 -> scd1
    /dev/dvd -> scd0
    /dev/cdaudio -> scd0

Thanks for any additional help/information on this...
    Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Stephen,

fstab has my DVD as "ro" both linked to scd0 as cdaudio, dvd, and cdrom. Whereas, my CDRW is "also" set as "ro" only linked to scd1 as cdrom1.
    You may want to change the link for the /dev/cdrom to the /dev/scd1 for the cdrw drive and if it has the audio cable coming from it to the sound card/mb port then the cdaudio as well.

Here as the problems:
    (1) If I place a AUDIO CD in the dvd device, I can't open it and view the audio files, I get a bad file system error, or something like that - In windows, I could open a data cd, or a audio cd for viewing. I "can" open a DVD in the dvd device and view it (as a data cd), and also a data cd.
    You do not try to open it by clicking on the icon there is no filesystem that will be recognized try in the konqueror address bar type in audiocd:/ and then enter and you should be able to browse the CD of course this depends on if you have the kdemultimedia-kio-plugins installed and I am not sure with the links you have set which drive it will expect it in but I think it will be the /dev/cdrom link, I have no /dev/cdaudio on my system so that is where it has to be looking.

(2) Considering my scd1 device, my CDRW, is mounting as "ro", will I be able to write to this device with the normal cdrecord, etc... software in Debian? Should I create a new link to scd1, named something like "cdrw" and make the entry in fstab as r+w, or something?
    There is no need of the rw in the /etc/fstab it will just work and if you were using cdrecord from the command line it would be something like this cdrecord options_here dev=0,1,0 some.iso and K3b should find it with no problems. I have still yet to bother to create a /dvd mount point for my new dvd burner just the /dev/dvd link for the programs that need that and use the /cdrom that was already there for the mount and everything works fine.

(3) I haven't tried this yet, but considering that cdrom1 (cdrw) and cdrom (dvd) devices are both the same options in fstab, I would guess that I can't view AUDIO cd's in my CDRW either. I can play audio cd's in both devices by just using XMMS - and "pointing" them to the devices, and both devices can be mounted, considering a DATA cd is in them, but not audio, and only the dvd can view or play a DVD - which is understandable, and good.
    See answer to 1.
    (4) Not using the "record" to a cd within Debian yet, can the packages "normally" supplied with Knoppix on a hdd install, record both AUDIO and DATA cd's, this is actually a three part question: (4a) Can you write a cd in AUDIO ONLY, (4b) Can you write a cd in DATA ONLY, and lastly, (4c) Can you write a cd in MIXED MODE (audio and data on the same cd) ? ? ?
    4) Yes. 4a) Yes and if you use K3b then you can have on the fly conversion and writing of the mp3/ogg files to an audio CD, usually before I am finishing writing the songs on the CD jacket it is finished. 4b) Yes. 4c) Not sure I never created a mixed mode in my entire time of owning a burner so have never checked into it.

Cuddles
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Stephen,

You may want to change the link for the /dev/cdrom to the /dev/scd1 for the cdrw drive and if it has the audio cable coming from it to the sound card/mb port then the cdaudio as well.
    My DVD device has the audio cable going to the mb/sound card - In Windows, it couldn't play the sound through the data cable, and when I had the devices reversed, I could listen to audio cd's in the CDRW, but not the DVD (a real pain ) -=- Whereas, in Knoppix/Debian, it is smart enough to play the audio track from the data cable, which is much nicer

Here as the problems:
    You do not try to open it by clicking on the icon there is no filesystem that will be recognized try in the konqueror address bar type in audiocd:/ and then enter and you should be able to browse the CD of course this depends on if you have the kdemultimedia-kio-plugins installed and I am not sure with the links you have set which drive it will expect it in but I think it will be the /dev/cdrom link, I have no /dev/cdaudio on my system so that is where it has to be looking.
    No problem, I was just wondering - I can always use "jack" to "rip" the audio off of a cd-audio if I need to.

There is no need of the rw in the /etc/fstab it will just work and if you were using cdrecord from the command line it would be something like this cdrecord options_here dev=0,1,0 some.iso and K3b should find it with no problems. I have still yet to bother to create a /dvd mount point for my new dvd burner just the /dev/dvd link for the programs that need that and use the /cdrom that was already there for the mount and everything works fine.
    Cool, I was thinking of using the K3b process, so I think I am set on this one as well.

See answer to 1.
    Got it.

4) Yes. 4a) Yes and if you use K3b then you can have on the fly conversion and writing of the mp3/ogg files to an audio CD, usually before I am finishing writing the songs on the CD jacket it is finished. 4b) Yes. 4c) Not sure I never created a mixed mode in my entire time of owning a burner so have never checked into it.
    DISCLAIMER: I am only copying CD-AUDIO Discs for "backup" purposes. I do not duplicate copyrighted cdaudio discs for production, nor do I sell these duplicated cdaudio discs. I do not want to take away ANY profits, or income, from the record companies.

With that out of the way...When I am making those "backup" copies of "some" of the cdaudio discs, they contain a data track, and the audio tracks - most of these are "programs" that view the films, usually the main song while they were recording the song, but it isn't so important that I "view" the data tracks on these cdaudio discs, as much as making a true, and complete, "backup" copy of the original disc. Thats all.

Speaking of this, using K3b, that is... Windows always prefered to use WAV type audio files, and the "burning software" (Nero), converted the WAV files to what they were "expected" to be when it burned the audio onto the cd. Appears that in Knoppix/Debian the proper file type for audio files is oog Should I be using oog to save, and store my audio files "now", and I take it, K3b converts these "oog" file types into the "required" cdaudio type when it records them?

Cuddles
    Your welcome.
    And, Thank you again

Stephen

Thanks for the info.
    I will give it a try and see what happens.