Thread: CDROM does not work in knoppix

CDROM does not work in knoppix

I installed knoppix from cdrom.Now when i try to mount cdrom using commands mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom or mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom ,it gives me error that /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.I also tried to configure fstab entry of cdrom but in vain.
    Pls help me i'm in blues to make my cdrom to work.Also how to install other packages besides ones available in knoppix cd coz rpm command does not work.

thanks in anticipation
    anmol

Senior Member registered user
    Hmm. Try (as root) mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /cdrom

On my most recent hdinstall i right clicked on the kde deskopt, clicked "Create New CD Rom/DVD Device, then right clicked the icon, selected properties, then chose the location of the drive from the drop down menu. Whenever I click on the icon it automounts.

Mount CDrom

I think you must have the directory made before trying to mount a device to it. To do a manual Mount you must create a directory in /mnt folder.

Say you create directory called `cdrom` like in /mnt/cdrom then do a command `mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom`
    Or you can make a different directory name like `foo` in /mnt then do a command `mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/foo`

If you look in /mnt there should be directories like /mnt/floppy - /mnt/hda1 - /mnt/crdrom etc. If they aren't there then just create them.

Re: Mount CDrom

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Worship
    I think you must have the directory made before trying to mount a device to it. To do a manual Mount you must create a directory in /mnt folder..
    I thought about mentioning this, but he said that he tried mounting to /cdrom which should be coppied from the CD. It was in my case at least.

Thank u all..i will get back soon.....

Thank you all of u for ur help..i will try all the things u mentioned...i must say this is one of the most active groups that i hav come across..

thanks..

Re: CDROM does not work in knoppix

--You should definitely check ' dmesg |less '. Linux handles cdrom drives a little weird. Also try mounting:

/dev/scd0
    /dev/sr0
    /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd (if cdrom is on 2nd IDE controller.)

--See what ' cdrecord -scanbus ' has to say, as well. FYI, the mount directory has to exist, but if it's telling you /dev/cdrom is not a valid device you should ' ls -l /dev/cdrom ' and see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj
    I installed knoppix from cdrom.Now when i try to mount cdrom using commands mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom or mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom ,it gives me error that /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.I also tried to configure fstab entry of cdrom but in vain.
    Pls help me i'm in blues to make my cdrom to work.Also how to install other packages besides ones available in knoppix cd coz rpm command does not work.

thanks in anticipation
    anmol