Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sound Editing, K3b cdaudio burning, Sound is slowed?? solved

If it were me I would "apt-get remove --purge alsa-utils alsa-base knx-alsa" before anything else. And I think you're better off just compiling the drivers yourself. I promise it's not hard if you follow the instructions on the ALSA page specifically for your card. And in the link I posted before, the libasound2, alsa-utils and alsa-base packages are all specifically made for the 1.0.2c driver. So you won't have to worry about mismatching there as long as you get and compile that driver release. It's worked for me...so I know it can work for you. And I don't think you've done any real damage by apt-getting those things. Just remove and purge them and then try again...this time compiling the drivers for your card.

Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    If you are using KDE I think your applications should be using arts instead of the "real" sound driver, for xmms that would mean installing the xmms-arts package and configure xmms to use it for playback. (at least that applies when using oss, don't know if it applies to alsa too)
    No, alsa works fine with KDE apps.

Senior Member registered user
    ChampagneMojo,

I think you're right, and "I am me" [giggle]

Here is what I have done, so far...

$ apt-get --purge remove alsa-base alsa-utils knx-alsa
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Package alsa-utils is not installed, so not removed
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    alsa-base* knx-alsa*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 477 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 3150kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 107384 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing alsa-base ...
    Purging configuration files for alsa-base ...
    Removing knx-alsa ...

Now, before I muck it up again, what do I do next?

From what I understand...
    (1) Get the "right" drivers for my sound card - which is...
    ...From Info Center:
    ......IO Ports -> VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controler
    ......PCI -> same as above with (rev 50) appened
    ...Get drivers from ALSA? What is the location?
    (2) Compile, and install those drivers - stated previously, intructions are included with the drivers.
    (3) After installing above drivers, what do I need to do after that?

Please explain as simple as possible - when possible, give exact information, and details - I would do a lot better. (I don't want to muck this up like my last attempt )

Thanks for all, and any, help,
    Cuddles

oops, almost forgot...
    Knoppix, hard drive installed, on a AMD 1.7GHz, 512M RAM, 41gig hard drive, Knoppix v 2.4.22-xfs

OMG - NOW I REALLY NEED HELP HERE

After doing the apt-get remove, I happened to "accidently" do a reboot...

I got TONS of messages, approximatelly 100 or more messages that flew by on the screen during the restart, looking at dmesg has entries only as far as the mounting of my ext3 "main" file partition, and the adding of my swap partition - nothing else....

AND WORSE YET -=-
    My external MODEM no longer works. Appears that whatever I removed, has removed even my seriel port for my modem - I need to get this back...

Sheesh, why does something that deals with my soundcard, now cause problems with the seriel port - port ttyS0 - which exists, and /dev/modem points to that - as it did before...

HELP
    I need my modem, and I think I need something that was removed, back...

Don't leave me here...
    Cuddles

I'll try to explain coherently Cuddles...I hope I remember correctly.

Get alsa-driver-1.0.2c.tar.bz2 from here.

Follow the directions on the ALSA page for your card to compile and install...I'll copy em here too:

Code:
            bunzip2 alsa-driver-1.0.2c.tar.bz2
            tar -xf alsa-driver-1.0.2c.tar
            cd alsa-driver-1.0.2c
            ./configure --with-cards=via82xx --with-sequencer=yes
            make
            make install
    Then go here and get libasound2_1.0.1-0sherpya1_i386.deb. Go here and get alsa-utils_1.0.2-0sherpya1_i386.deb. Not completely sure if this one's necessary, but to be safe, go here and get alsa-base_1.0.2c-0sherpya3_all.deb. So you've saved all of those to some directory. Now you go to that directory in a shell and use dpkg...which I'm sure you know well, but I'll put the code for the heck of it.

Code:
    dpkg -i libasound2_1.0.1-0sherpya1_i386.deb alsa-utils_1.0.2-0sherpya1_i386.deb alsa-base_1.0.2c-0sherpya3_all.deb
    Then just insert all of the modules and test to see if it works. Inserting the modules is described in the ALSA page for your card too...but all you do is

Code:
    modprobe snd-via82xx
    modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    modprobe snd-mixer-oss
    modprobe snd-seq-oss
    Now you'll have to set the levels...you can use aumix for that. If you've installed alsamixergui you can also use that. Try using the aplay command on some wav file you have now. It should play the file you chose and give a description.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    OMG - NOW I REALLY NEED HELP HERE

Uhoh...I step out of the office for a second...come back and hit send and suddenly there's a bigger problem. I don't understand how anything you've done with ALSA could do that. Hopefully one of the linux experts here can help you with this though, cuz I have no clue.

Cuddles,

You could open a shell window and log as root. Type modconf, and scroll down to the driver for your modem to see if it was unloaded. It may have been unloaded somehow and not loaded again when you rebooted (just a theory). If it shows that it was unloaded, load the module and then exit modconf. Type update-modules to update the modules.conf file. Exit from root. Your modem should be initialized upon your next reboot. If not, post back the error referring to the port ttyS0. One more thing, you might want to edit modules.conf or /etc/modutils to make sure alsad (alsa daemon) is unloaded before you have your alsa driver and modules compiled. Having it running without a driver/module present can cause errors.

Durand Hicks,

My modem is an external modem (hardware) - connected to seriel port #1, off the main board - it doesn't have any drivers - just seriel port#1 & #2. I have a link pointing /dev/modem -> ttyS0 -

KPPP states that it is Unable to locate modem on either /dev/modem or /dev/ttyS0 - minicom (sp) won't stay open - it just dies...

Are "WE" sure that "something" wasn't removed with the knx-alsa package, maybe something I need for my seriel ports? (or something related?)

I can't locate any other messages, ones that are on the boot screen, scroll by too fast to read - and they don't show up in dmesg -=- also, If I need to apt-get anything right now, it isn't going to be easy w/o my modem...

I am sitting next to the "defunct" knoppix system, on a backup Win98 system for access to the internet, so I can "relay" messages, or errors, or "stuff" from the knoppix "dead" system...

H*E*L*P
    Cuddles

Ok, On reboot, same errors go flooding across the screen, before I can read them, when they start to slow down, my Debian Login Screen replaces it - so - I did a ctrl+shift+f1 - and this is what "appears" to be repeating across my screen - Hopefully this will give "someone" any idea of what happened, and what I can do about it...

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/extras/modules.dep (no such file or directory)
    iptables v1.2.9: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

(these three lines repeat for about 20 or 30 screen-fulls, then...

done.
    INIT: Entering runlevel: 5 ( then some services, like CUPSys, then KDE)

What happan to my poor sys?????
    (its sick, can someone make it better, (then we can tackle the ALSA))
    Cuddles

OK, I think I might have my own answer, but want to confirm my suspicions, first - then what do I do if I am right...

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/extras/modules.dep (no such file or directory)
    iptables v1.2.9: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    I did some digging, looking in /etc/modules - i found my messages from above - pointing to ALSA files/programs/folders - I also looked in modules.conf - and it too had these same entries - but at the top of modules.conf it states not to modify the file directly, but to look in /etc/modutils/ and use update-modules - to keep insmod and something from freaking out -=- freaking out This couldn't be closer to the truth here...

So, going into /etc/modutils/ I found two "suspicious" files:

alsa-0.9-knoppix and 1alsa

doing a cat alsa-0.9-knoppix and a cat 1alsa -=- the contents of these two files are EXACTLY the garbage error messages that my boot and shutdown screens are flooding with - now - the tough question...

Do I blow away both of these ALSA files above, and then do a update-modules ??? Will that correct my boot/shutdown messages? - I also noted that in the same /etc/modutils/ folder is a file called setserial - which I would guess is my configuration settings for my serial ports - they may never get to be running due to the ALSA gunk flooding, and thereby, no serial ports, and no modem (could I be right on this?)

From what I can tell... Debian fires off /etc/modules (or modules.conf) which is built from "update-modules" - which is built by the files located in the /etc/modutils/ folder - if I remove the ALSA files mentioned above, then re-do a update-modules to have the new modules (or modules.conf) rebuilt to exclude the removed ALSA files mentioned above, wouldn't that effectively remove all "referances" to the ALSA stuff I just got through (yesterday) doing a apt-get --purge remove on????

Someone get me going again... Tell me str8, do we have a chance to save the patient???? ( I SERIOUSLY DO NOT WANT TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH - please not now )

Thanks,
    Cuddles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast