Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Editing, K3b cdaudio burning, Sound is slowed?? solved

Senior Member registered user

Sound Editing, K3b cdaudio burning, Sound is slowed?? solved

Ok, I need to do my job here...

I have a home business that takes analog sound sources - usually from speaches on cassette tape - and digitize them, edit them, cut out pre and post "silence", break the speaches up from one side of a 45 minute tape, into individual speaches, saving them as individual files, and then "burn" them onto a Audio CD, to be used by my customers...

This process was easy in Windows, create, edit, burn, and it worked.

In Knoppix/Debian, it appears it isn't...

I have wasted more than two days on the following trial:

(1) Using Audacity, I've created, both a oog, and a wav, file formats - initial 45 minute tape extraction, edited that file - both oog and wav - to strip to individual speaches - then using K3b, burned the oog, and also the wav "tracks" to a Audio CD.

PROBLEM:
    Upon trying to play the K3b Audio CD, the pitch of the speaker is way lower than it should be, like they were talking in slow motion.

I have tried using oog through the complete process, till I burned it to the cd, and the same with wav - both file formats appear to create a Audio CD with these same results. What it sounds like is, if a male speaker is talking, their voice is lowered, and slowed down, like if they were a suprano, they sound like a bass.

I have tried playing the cd through XMMS and KsCD, same results - but if I save the wav/oog file in Audacity, and reload it, after using the form of export "format", the loaded file sounds fine.

I have tried everything in Audacity as far as settings - prefered settings are what I used in Windows - 44.1KHz 16 bit PCM. though at the start I had tried using the defaults, which was 32 bit float 44.1KHz. Oog compression was at mid-point - 5, but that doesn't really mean much considering I also did a wav format, and that is uncompressed.

I tried other editor/creation software that I had obtained: ReZound, and Ardour GTK - but ReZound screams about a OOS something having an error, and Ardour appears to want to deal only with internet streaming.

I need to get my business work done here, and so far, I have only wasted two days, with customers beating down on my back, and nothing to show for it.

Where is the problem, why does everything run great, sound great, until I burn it to a cd? Digital is digital right? How can something that sounds fine get so screwed up (digitally) after it is placed on a cd? Does K3b change digital bits when it burns? Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how was it resolved?

I have an Optirite CD-RW - 52x32x52 - detected exactly by both Knoppix/Debian, and by K3b - I didn't "overburn", and I stayed below the recommended "write" speed of the cd's I am using.

I have a AMD 1.7 GHz, 512 RAM, 41 gig hard drive, w/ 500 meg Swap - more than 21 gig free space on the file system hard drive, and Knoppix hard drive installed v3.3

Any assistance on getting my business back on "working" order again, will be greatly appreciated,
    Cuddles

I've no idea what the solution is here, but I have experienced the opposite (that is, stuff speeded up) when burning oggs created by a rather nasty conversion program (on Windows) from poor quality .wma to CD.

My guess -- nothing more -- is that it has something to do with the frequency of the recording. (In my case they played fine through XMMS.)

You might try looking at

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/MP3-CD-Burning/

to see if it gives you any clues. (For example, k3b is really just a front end to command line programs which are. at least, likely to hurl error messages at you.) Alternatively, about the most knowledgeable sound people out there are the Alsa folk on

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user

I'm (reasonably) sure that the answer is simple, so don't despair.

Fingers99,

the /usr location didn't exist after the point of /usr/share/ ... I searched for the "en..." part, and even for the "HOWTO..." part, and lastly, for the "MP3..." part - no find...

I did hit the ALSA location, but, I don't think they will be able to help - I don't think I am using it - I never started it, never set it up, and I think ArTS, or some capitalization of that, is what I am using. (possibly why ReZound is yelling at me? )

I will still (hope) that someone "here" can still help me - I think this is my "best" shot for getting it resolved

Thanks though Fingers99,
    Cuddles

Ah, you need to

apt-get update && apt-get install doc-linux-html

and you'll find them -- well worth having.

Maybe you should be using Alsa. But to see, try

alsamixer

from the command line.

Alsa is generally believed to be the canine's gonads as regards Linux sound!

Hmm, gonna have to check out the apt-get part on a later time, but...

Upon doing a "alsamixer" in a shell, I get the following response:

# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I think "I'm" missing something ?? [giggle]

Clues?
    Cuddles

Could be either that you don't have alsa (which would be odd, but you could check by popping open synaptic and seeing if it's listed under installed packages) or that it's there, but not started, in which case try

alsa_init

I've seen Stephen (who knows a lot more than me) refer to (IIRC)

alsa autoconfig

but I've not had to use that post 3.2 (I'm not sure it's in 3.3).

You'll probably have to do some tinkering with Kde's Control Centre after starting Alsa to get the system sounds working again, but this is the least of your problems and Alsa really is where it's at.

First of all Fingers99 -=- 73.4 MB for the doc-linux-html install - heck! - better be worth it dude -=- its on d/l [slash] install as I type...

I tried alsa_init - it appeared to "do something", until it hit "permission denied" messages upon saving out configs - dummy me - I wasn't logged in as Root - (see seperate post on Root/Noob question) - so I did a su, and did it again - this time it saved out configs - tried to do a "alsamixer", and same error as previously posted.

I did a apt-cache search, and only thing that came up was "alsamixergui" - tried to run it, to see it I already had it, it couldn't find it...

In preperation for doing ALSA, I went into Control Center, and disabled Arts from auto-starting any more...

What would my next step be? After I finish with the html install, I thing I need to reboot to make the arts shutdown, or not restart change, and who knows, would you think that alsa needs a reboot to activate it???

Cuddles

The proper line is /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to configure the alsa then you need the default levels setup on boot alsamixer should do that once the devices are created. If not then the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 in the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh near the bottom will work, do not really know about the rest of the problem I just play audio no mix and record type of things. You may want to try debian-user@lists.debian.org mailing list although some there can be a little snotty when they hear you are using Knoppix. As long as you are asking a smart question you should be alright and remember to request a CC if you want to get a email reply instead of searching the archives if you are not subscribed. Oh and there is no reboot needed with the alsa or almost anything else you do in Linux except installing a new kernel.

I think using ALSA is a good idea if you're going to be recording and such. I don't think ALSA is installed by default though...unless maybe you used the alsa cheatcode when you installed. So I'm not sure you really have the drivers and all yet. You can try Kano's script to install ALSA. It's always worked great for me in the past...it didn't seem to work the last time I ran it, but that was on the 3.4 C't edition and I found that installing it yourself isn't all that bad.

Also, if you want your KDE system sounds to still play with ALSA, you can just go into the Control Panel->Sound & Multimedia->System Notifications and click on "Player Settings". If you choose "use external player" and put in "aplayer" they'll all work great. I'm using KDE 3.2 though...but I'm sure the "use external player" option is in 3.1 somewhere.

I've recorded some stuff on my computer, but I've never actually tried burning it with K3B. I'll give it a shot and see if the same thing happens to me. Another option might be to use Snd rather than Audacity.

Stephen, I am not sure if this "did" anything, how can I check?

I did the /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig -=- and added aumix -w [space] 75 -v [space] 75 to the script you stated - and then rebooted. I still can not get alsamixer to run, I get the same error:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

-=- As a side note -=-
    I have been working with the ALSA email group, and from what we have found - my sound card, a VIA82xx on-motherboard sound card - can't use 44.1KHz, and when I run Audacity from a console window, upon hitting record, it pops out the following error:

Pa_SetupDeviceFormat: warning - requested sample rate = 44100 Hz - closest = 48000

This is coming from audacity - which is configured to a Sample Rate of 44100 Hz, everything associated with the sound recording in audacity is configured to this - even the export to wav options. Now when I do a "file [test.wav]" from a console - I get the following:

$ file test.wav
    test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

Which the folks in ALSA say this is "exactly" what it should be. The going census is, audacity is "sampling" at 48KHz, and then converting it down to 44.1KHz when it is being saved...

Problem is that if I open the "test.wav" file in any other program, and play it, it sounds fine - if I take this same "test.wav" file, and burn it to a cd, as a CD Audio disc, it plays back slow - as mentioned in previous posting. What is changing it?

Is audacity a problem program, should I be using another? If so, I need "visual" of actual sound - so I can locate blank, silence, and starts of new speaches - I also have to have the ability to load/record up to as much as 50 to 60 minutes in a single file, and then edit out and save "partial" sound speaches from this single file. I need it to be in 44.1KHz PCM 16bit, 2 channel stereo -0- from what I hear -0- this is mandatory for a audio file to be burned, and properly played back on any cd player.

Sorry, I am a little "on edge", my business is suffering from the lack of being able to get this working properly, so take pitty, if not for the attiuide, for the situation...
    Cuddles

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast