Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE 3.2 upgrade

KDE 3.2 upgrade

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a simple process or not and I have looked around a bit but I'm hoping someone could maybe point me to this in an easier way.

Anyways, I did a fresh install of Knoppix 3.3 and while its working quite well and everythings usable I'd love to go from KDE 3.1.5 to KDE 3.2 since its even more usable and refined. Basically, whats the easiest way of doing that?

I know apt-get is (obviously) the way to go about it and I'm already using the unstable/testing sources but is there a meta-package I can point to like "apt-get install KDE3.2?" or is more involved than that?

Any advice is appreciated and...if none...I'm sure I'll eventually find a way

Re: KDE 3.2 upgrade

Try adding this to /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://rs.fuzz.nl/muesli/686/kde_head/ unstable/

I don't know if you'd need to do this, but also in apt.conf I changed
    APT:efault-Release "unstable";
    to some random gibberish inside the quote. I don't know if that's needed, but someone recomended that to me when I was trying to install an earlier cvs build of kde a while back, so I figued might as well while I was editing files. If you're using a mix of unstable and testing though, it might not be such a good idea. I think with no real designation it just upgrades to the latest version, though perhaps someone with more experience and knowledge than me might comment on that

After that, I just did a apt-get dist-upgrade , it downloaded and installed almost everything. I think the only problem came from k3b. I forced that package, and havn't had any problems burning cds with the new install, so I think everything's OK.

Ok, so basically I'm looking at commenting out whats in my sources list and adding in that line and doing a dist-upgrade?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril
    Ok, so basically I'm looking at commenting out whats in my sources list and adding in that line and doing a dist-upgrade?
    The sources have changed from the line above you now need.

Code:
    ## KDE 3.2 built for unstable and 686 or better processor
     http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/softwa...bian/kde_head/ unstable/
    In the file then use dselect update to update the packages list of both dkpg and apt so they both know about the new change and you may want to try apt-get -s -t ftp.snt.utwente.nl dist-upgrade if the output looks good then remove the -s to install. Any packages it says it needs will most likely be coming from unstable so apt-get install package/unstable then try again with the dist-upgrade. Any error you get unpacking the files you need to cd /var/cache/apt/archives then dpkg -i --force-overwrite package and you should dpkg --configure -a to make sure no package has been left unconfigured.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril
    The sources have changed from the line above you now need.

Code:
    ## KDE 3.2 built for unstable and 686 or better processor
     http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/softwa...bian/kde_head/ unstable/
    In the file then use dselect update to update the packages list of both dkpg and apt so they both know about the new change and you may want to try apt-get -s -t ftp.snt.utwente.nl dist-upgrade if the output looks good then remove the -s to install. Any packages it says it needs will most likely be coming from unstable so apt-get install package/unstable then try again with the dist-upgrade. Any error you get unpacking the files you need to cd /var/cache/apt/archives then dpkg -i --force-overwrite package and you should dpkg --configure -a to make sure no package has been left unconfigured.
    Ok, I think I followed most of that. We'll see tonight whether I bork the install or not Thanks for the help btw

Member registered user

kicker flicker

anyone else who has upgraded to KDE 3.2 with the CVS-HEAD noticed any annoying flicker with the icons on the kicker when using any color scheme that doesn't have a grey background?

I noticed this happening after the 20040212 or maybe it was 20040214. The flicker is annoying, using grey is bland, anyone have any ideas/fixes for this?

Re: kicker flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa
    anyone else who has upgraded to KDE 3.2 with the CVS-HEAD noticed any annoying flicker with the icons on the kicker when using any color scheme that doesn't have a grey background?

I noticed this happening after the 20040212 or maybe it was 20040214. The flicker is annoying, using grey is bland, anyone have any ideas/fixes for this?
    Never noticed that at all but I have mine set to transparent you may want to give try that. That is with all the cvs versions and the Debian packages from experimental I just switched too tonight now that they have almost everything I need.

I'm still using the original 02/04 version of the 3.2 packages. Is there any reason I should update? It's been very stable for me already, so I'm a little wary of doing so...but if there are major enhancements or something I'll update them. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    I'm still using the original 02/04 version of the 3.2 packages. Is there any reason I should update? It's been very stable for me already, so I'm a little wary of doing so...but if there are major enhancements or something I'll update them. What do you guys think?
    Well you know the old saying if it ain't broke why fix it, that being said I had no problems with the newer packages or with the ones I have installed from experimental in Debian. I have been running them most of the day on my testing drive and they seem very stable.

Re: kicker flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa

I got that too, but only on my Toshiba laptop. I upgraded both my desktop machine (an Athlon XP box) and my laptop (A Toshiba with a Celeron CPU) to KDE 3.2 using the instructions on this thread. Both upgrades went along pretty smoothly, had to manually force a couple of packages, but once I did that, everything worked beautifully.

However, on the laptop, I got the icon flicker, but it wasn't on the desktop, it was on the taskbar. And while the icons were flickering, my CPU would get pegged at 100% and stay there. I fixed it by setting a background image on the taskbar. As soon as I put a bg image on it, the flickering stopped and the CPU went back to normal. but if I try and keep the taskbar with its usual grey bg, the computer goes nuts. Also, this problem happened only on the laptop, the desktop is just fine.

If your icon flickering is on the taskbar, try that, setting a bg image on it and see if it goes away (there's some decent taskbar background over at kde-look.org)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast