Thread: dumb question :o

dumb question :o

I'm really stupid and this is a stupid question, but can i install things(video drivers mostly) from just the CD? My windows partition is fat32 and i was wondering if knoppix could....store? the data that i installed on knoppix and used them everytime i booted in. I have gone though ENDLESS amount of permissions, and i just decided to post on this forum. And it's kinda hilarious because i go into text mode, and into my cd drive that has the drivers on it and my super user account doesnt have permisson . But like i said It's prolly not even possible please dont flame me I'm kinda a new user to linux myself but i learning fast about how to use it. Thanks again

*bump*? lol

Junior Member registered user
    The problem with installing software is that you can't write to a CD-ROM. Anything that's anywhere other than your home directory sits on the CD and can't be modified.

The things you CAN save, however, are the results of installing files with klik (klik.berlios.de), and any settings you may have changed. They work fine. There aren't any graphics drivers there though.

You CAN save files that are in your Knoppix home directory to disk.
    Go to the KDE menu, then Knoppix, then configure, then 'create persistent home directory'. Unless you have space set up for a little linux partition (which you probably don't), you're probably going to want to make an image file on your C drive when it asks you.
    Once the program creates the image, it will tell you how to get Knoppix to load that as your home directory.

The problem with making the persistent home directory a file on your C drive is, you can't access the C drive while Knoppix is using that file, so be warned.

Senior Member registered user

Re: dumb question :o

Quote Originally Posted by archvile
    I'm really stupid and this is a stupid question, but can i install things(video drivers mostly) from just the CD?
    What video card/model/chipset? Some knonppix variants have some drivers that Knoppix does not.

Oh and BTW- I don't think it's such a stupid Q. The question I hate to see is "What's the root password?" That's been answered 6.3 million times I swear!

Re: dumb question :o

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by archvile
    I'm really stupid and this is a stupid question, but can i install things(video drivers mostly) from just the CD?
    What video card/model/chipset? Some knonppix variants have some drivers that Knoppix does not.

Oh and BTW- I don't think it's such a stupid Q. The question I hate to see is "What's the root password?" That's been answered 6.3 million times I swear!
    Nvidia Geforce 4 ti4200, mostly because the resolution is all messed up because it set my monitor to generic, and the only other way i could think of to fix this was to install video drivers. thanks

I dont exactly know what it is, but perhaps makeing a "persistant home directory"? Just a Image file not the entire partition. Thanks again

anyone? hehe

You may want to check this thread for the Nvidia live installer script that you can use running from the CD. I think you can then make a persistent home to save the settings not sure about that never use the persistent home myself the script worked fine when I tested it though.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=4016&start=30

Nvidia Geforce 4 ti4200, mostly because the resolution is all messed up because it set my monitor to generic, and the only other way i could think of to fix this was to install video drivers. thanks
    Hang on. Your monitor is working fine, but you've (say) a smaller display than you expected?

Take a look here:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

you may find (for example) that typing

knoppix screen=1280x1024

at the boot: prompt is exactly what you need.