Thread: Hello. New to both the forums and Linux

Junior Member registered user

Hello. New to both the forums and Linux

Hello fellow forum members (I dont know what else to call you :P ). I am new to the scene here as well as a complete n00b to linux. I've a couple of 'friends' who run Gentoo, but they think themselves too high and mighty to help me with anything Linux related.

I first tried Linux just the other day, booting with Knoppix to be exact. The reason for doing so was quite simple: meh Windowz just loves to crash and refuse to boot. I have had a good 10 years with the OS (Windows in general, and I am only 17), and I am quite efficient with both the operation and repair of it. Even though it often breaks down, there has been only one instance in which it required a fresh install (not reformat mind you, too much crap to lose). And so, I found that Linux could access my hard drives without booting to Windows, so I had a friend download it. I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice GUI (hey, I did not know...) and to see it a functional OS.

Thanks for the support given by reading so far. I hope you guys can deal with me :P

Senior Member registered user
    Hehe. We can deal with you. Glad you have seen the linux light. Feel free to post any questions you might have in these forums, but I would recommend that you look at the docs section first. There is a lot of useful information in there. Search is also your friend.

Since you're just starting out in Linux here is a resource that you may find useful to get some of the basics under you belt.

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

Similar Threads

1. RSS feed for the forums
    By gnarvaja in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 07:43 PM
  2. New Forums
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:04 AM
  3. Alternative forums
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support