Thread: XP Lite to Counter Linux!

Senior Member registered user

XP Lite to Counter Linux!

Please read this article: Microsoft readies XP-Lite to keep Linux out of Asia

http://www.techworld.com/news/index....ws&NewsID=1002

bong

Junior Member registered user

Re: XP Lite to Counter Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by bongski55

http://www.techworld.com/news/index....ws&NewsID=1002

bong
    I think they're wasting their time. Price is an issue in why less affluent countries have gotten behind the open-source movement, and GNU/Linux in particular. However, there are also philosophical reasons such as not wanting their country's information infrastructure held hostage by a sole U.S. company. With Linux, China, India, or Pakistan, for instance, can simply create their own Linux Distros -- "People's Red Linux" for example. You can't do that with windows.

Also, no matter how much they cut the price of this junk crippled version of XP, it's still not going to compare with how inexpensively Linux can be acquired. I have Win XP professional on this computer, and even the full version of windows is inaddequate. If you want an Office Suite, you have to spend hundreds of dollars for it, same for development software, DVD/CD buring software, etc ... It's a huge scam.

rickenbacherus,

I saw that link before you posted it. Pretty funny don't you think? Who would want to get a crippled copy of XP that still costs more than linux and doesn't have as man applications on it? MS still hasn't got a clue.

Junior Member registered user
    hmm i dont suppose that you have run xp lite or 98 lite?
    imho they are quite good ( for ms) i run 98micro (its the pro version ) and it actualy makes windoze get up and ... well not boogie but it does speed it up to an aceptable speed. what they do is rip al of the html hooks out of windows as well as letting you compleatly ditch i.e. and if you have the pro version you can get 98 to sit in <50 meg.
    dont get me wrong i love knx but i still have to use ms for work and lite pc.com is good value its not a krippled windows its a windows enhancement i guess.

Member registered user

Re: XP Lite to Counter Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    If he was really into being creative, he'd just send them copies of gentoo transcoded into asian language source distro & for free!

Think about it for 20 seconds and you just know you're more likely to end up seeing cheap versions of XP lite translated back into western world languages if he carries on doing it his way.

Quote Originally Posted by gyro
    imho they are quite good ( for ms) i run 98micro (its the pro version ) and it actualy makes windoze get up and ... well not boogie but it does speed it up to an aceptable speed. what they do is rip al of the html hooks out of windows as well as letting you compleatly ditch i.e. and if you have the pro version you can get 98 to sit in <50 meg.
    dont get me wrong i love knx but i still have to use ms for work and lite pc.com is good value its not a krippled windows its a windows enhancement i guess.
    I've got a PC running XP that's been stripped down with XPLite, tho this is likely a very different take on lite than MS will adopt. For those who don't know XPLite is a 3rd party utility that switches off(and on again when you're ready) Windows File Protection, allowing you to uninstall all that stuff Bill thinks should be integral and irreversible. So I have XP without Outlook Express(nice security touch), without all the accessibility stuff, games, windows media player, audio devices, help, desktop themes, etc etc etc. It runs very nicely indeed on a 350MHz PIII with 192MB RAM and is on 24/7 as my p2p machine and Internet connection host. If you have a PC that won't be online you can even strip out Internet Explorer and all the network utilities. You can get Win2000 Pro down to 200MB installed and XP down to 300MB, but that's extreme. It's the kind of real configurability that should be there out of the box. Somehow I doubt very much that this is what MS has in mind for the Asian market.

Quote Originally Posted by gyro
    I would welcome such a lite version, just have all the unecessary removed but still give me the ability to install programs that cannot be found on linux. I am playing with the latest colinux which will be a perfect combination with XP lite.

I was under the impression from the computing press that the OEMs who supply Windows XP are already paying a 'lite' price? - Anyone have any info' on what a typical OEM actually pays per copy of XP?

Stu.....

Sorry, meant to say this was estimated at $50 a copy in 2002