Thread: from knoppix to debian.

from knoppix to debian.

Hi, I found knoppix as a good way to install debian. In addition, I have been using it some time ago. There is a thing that I do not like. When I install it and updates it with the default source list, there are some packs that is not at debians mirrors, I am talking about all *. Knoppix. So can there be a better way for installing knoppix on the hd and updating to debian?

Senior Member registered user

Re: from knoppix to debian.

Quote Originally Posted by grupsapa
    Hi, I found knoppix as a good way to install debian. In addition, I have been using it some time ago. There is a thing that I do not like. When I install it and updates it with the default source list, there are some packs that is not at debians mirrors, I am talking about all *. Knoppix. So can there be a better way for installing knoppix on the hd and updating to debian?
    I think most of these packages can be safely removed, some might be replacing debian packages (so they need to be replaced by the debian equivalent) - I'm confident you can use synaptic to do this easily.

but I agree, it whould be nice if you whould write a script to do this automatically (in presence of an inet connection) so fabian might add this to his famous installer

Senior Member registered user

Re: from knoppix to debian.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    I think most of these packages can be safely removed, some might be replacing debian packages (so they need to be replaced by the debian equivalent) - I'm confident you can use synaptic to do this easily.
    One you can not remove is the Knoppix sysvinit although it is fairly easy once you know how I have a page to show you how to do it. You have to be careful about one of the other scripts as well it controls the icons in KDE never got around to figuring out that one though.

well, I have found that others people have the same ideas that I have.

On #debian at irc.freenode

"<dpkg> knoppixquestion is, like, i guess knoppixquestion is We're here to help with Debian questions. Not Knoppix questions. Ask me about knoppix2debian to learn how to convert your knoppix hard drive install to a Debian one, and then we'll help. If you don't want to do that, go to #knoppix.
    <me> knoppix2debian
    <dpkg> from memory, knoppix2debian is http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251
    "
    But does anyone know how others distroes, that are "based on" do it?