View Poll Results: Do you think that a Knoppix distro for PS2 could be useful??

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 92.31%
  • No

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix on Playstation2

Knoppix on Playstation2

Hello people!!

Is there an effort to bring knoppix to the PS2 console?? It would be very useful for those who like linux but cannot pay US$200 for the Sony Linux Kit.

I think that the answer for the above question is NO. But it is a good idea...
    The distro could be based on BlackRhino GNU/Linux and accept any USB keyboard and mouse. Could come in DVD format... This is just an idea...

What do you think??

(may be this topic could be moved to "Ideas", moderator: what do you think??)

Junior Member registered user
    problem is that you'd have to modchip the PS2, and also, it doesnt have enough ram to run from a typical knoppix style bootable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmark
    problem is that you'd have to modchip the PS2, and also, it doesnt have enough ram to run from a typical knoppix style bootable.
    Ok, let be honest, modchip isn't a problem. Is it a crime to upgrade a PS2 with a modchip?? Is it a crime to develop new applications on PS2 that can only be runned with a modchip?? I don't think so...

So well, about de amount of RAM, it could be a little simple than the regular Knoppix... It could use WindowMaker as primary window manager, or BlackBox...

well... may be it could have no much uses at all, don't you think?? without a network adapter and a hard disk, may be nothing can be done... so sad...

nevermind... forget about it, it was not a good idea... and then, sony dropped the price of the linux kit to $99, it's cheaper now for most of people...

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by leco
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmark
    Ok, let be honest, modchip isn't a problem. Is it a crime to upgrade a PS2 with a modchip?? Is it a crime to develop new applications on PS2 that can only be runned with a modchip?? :? I don't think so... :)
    depends on where you live. I have a feeling that mod chips are illegal in the USA (DMCA?)

well... may be it could have no much uses at all, don't you think?? without a network adapter and a hard disk, may be nothing can be done... :cry: so sad... :(
    sounds a fun but worthless project :) I'd partake, but I don't have a PS2

nevermind... forget about it, it was not a good idea... and then, sony dropped the price of the linux kit to $99, it's cheaper now for most of people...
    shouldn't it be possible o redistribute this thing for free?

Quote Originally Posted by c123
    shouldn't it be possible o redistribute this thing for free?
    no, no... of course not... The Linux Kit comes with a 40Gb HD, a Network Adapter, an USB Keyboard, an USB mouse, a VGA cable and a DVD with the Black Rhino distro...

It's impossible to give all those things for free....

It doesn't COME with the blackrhino distro, you can upgrade to that, but it surely does not come with it

Junior Member registered user

illigal

modchips are not illegal, its the flash on them that makes them so

hmm CvS is that you?

Edit: Nevermind, the name looked familiar

First of all, the linux kit comes with Kondara Linux, a Japanese distribution based on Red Hat Linux.

Second of all, the linux kit is $99 in the USA.
    http://www.us.playstation.com/periph...?id=SCPH-97047

BlackRhino is a additional distro that can be downloaded from www.playstation2-linux.com -- It's rarely updated and somehat buggy in respects.

There's also a port of gentoo, which I use. It's also a little buggy in places, but works better.

Even if you had a modchip, you wouldn't be able to install linux without paying for the linux kit, due to the RTE (RunTime Environment), which lives on DVD1 of the two DVDs that come with the set.

And no, modchips themselves are not illegal in the USA, but they BECOME illegal once installed (I don't belive it matters if you're playing pirated discs or homebrew software.)

Third, you're limited to 32MB of ram. Not nearly enoufgh for Knoppix to run, without a swap partition (and what's the point anyhow? You'd still need the harddrive in the system.)

Without a harddrive, the system becomes basically useless. Without a network adapter, the system is totally useless, unless you're somehow saving nedit .txt files to the memory card. *shrugs*

Greets to all.

Kamilion

Http://www.consolenewz.net/

Edit: It should also be noted, that while I own the kit, I've been able to use some of the various homebrew software, and a simple plastic card (cut in the right pattern) to boot linux entirely from a memory card and an original Playstation CD. (the old gray unit, with it's new little brother being known as the PSOne.)
    No harddrive, no network adapter, no modchip. It's useful for editing saves on another memory card, but that's about it.

Plus there's not even a 2.4 kernel for the ps2. Ouch. The latest is 2.2.21-pre1. The original kernel was 2.2.1. These are the only two kernels available for the system.

Ok Kamilion, I was convinced earlier that post, that running Knoppix on ps2 is not useful, and your arguments to prove it are so strong that I am plus convinced now !!! .::LoL::. Can I change my vote for this poll??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast