Thread: login problem

login problem

hey guys,
    I installed knoppix on a old pentium 166mhz, with a 128mb sdram @133 mhz, on a 4 gb hard drive. that I was working on for my computer engineering class at my high school and it installed fine but when it was giving me screens to setup stuff up, it didn't give me a screen it setup a username. It gave me screens for root password and user password but no screen for username. I rebooted and I got the the login screen it kept saying login failed. any sugguestions for a linux newbie?
    I also tryed to login with the username: Root and then my root password, same thing.

Thanks for any help.
    sincerely,
    Schunn99

P.S. my junior year of High school is killing me!!! Just one more year and then COLLEGE.

Also does anyone know about what level of math do I have to reach order to get a BA in computer engineering?(calclus I?, II? or something higher?)

Member registered user
    This FAQ has the answer to you login problem http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqRescue

Also does anyone know about what level of math do I have to reach order to get a BA in computer engineering?(calclus I?, II? or something higher?)
    First of all Computer Engineering is an ambiguous name for a number of different fields in computer studies. I have seen this title include Software Engineering (another ambiguous title), computer architecture (the programmers level view of the computer), and computer hardware design. The math that will be most useful to you depends on what kind of computer engineering you want to do. I can't speak for all colleges but I can give you an example of my graduation requirements for a BS in Computer Engineering at the University of Iowa.
    Calculus I – Single Variable Calculus
    Calculus II – Multi Variable Calculus
    Calculus III – Vector Calculus
    Matrix Algebra
    Probability and Statistics
    Discrete Math (aka Discrete Structures)

To compare, here are the required math classes for a BA in Computer Science.
    Calculus I – Single Variable Calculus
    Calculus II – Multi Variable Calculus
    Linear Algebra
    Discrete Math (aka Discrete Structures)

Obviously math is important in all fields related to computers. How much math you really need to be a successful programmer or to design hardware is still being debated by the experts. The September 2003 feature article of the Communications of the ACM was “Why CS Students Need Math.” There are good professional programmers who have never taken more math than high school level algebra! Although I have studied a broad range of of Electrical and Computer Engineering from the electromagnetic theory up to programming I focus mostly on software. I personally find that linear algebra, probability and statistics, and discrete math are the most useful in my every day programming. Calculus doesn't directly apply to discrete computers, but it is important when communicating with and writing applications for scientists. Also calculus is important if you want to study the physical electrical level of computers.