Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gateway Solo 2500 knoppix internet question

Junior Member registered user
    I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card? If it doesn't, will I even be able to set up an internet connection without installing Knoppix onto the computer...cause running from CD is read only, right?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdowns
    I don't really understand what you mean. "Don't try to run it but look at it"...so just look at what I typed? What's that going to do? I don't understand. If I do type "less /var/log/messages" and hit enter, I get the same "Permission denied" message.
    Oops, forgot to mention you have to be root, one way of getting it done as root is to append "sudo" to the beninning, like this:
    Code:
    sudo less /var/log/messages
    Less is just a text file viewer, use the arrow keys to scroll up or down and "q" to exit.

I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card?
    I don't know, thus the questions about log files etc... If someone already has knowledge about this card it would be nice if he/she spoke up but the contents of /var/log/messages should give us a clue on what is happening.

I've been doing some reading, and does Knoppix come with the drivers for the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card? If it doesn't, will I even be able to set up an internet connection without installing Knoppix onto the computer...cause running from CD is read only, right?
    I think that is the same card I have and it works fine and uses the tulip module.

Code:
    >$ lspci | grep Ether
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
    Code:
    >$ lsmod | grep tulip
    tulip                  38208   1
    crc32                   2848   0 [tulip]

To be honest, I don't really have any network settings that I know of. I just bought the Switching Hub so that I could connect both my desktop and laptop to the internet. I have an ADSL modem hooked into the incoming DSL line. From the modem (which was provided by the phone company), I have a line running to the hub (port 1). From ports 2 and 3, I have lines running to my desktop (running Windows XP Home) and my laptop (usually running Windows98se). The laptop has the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 pc card.
    Now this description does not sound right if it is just a hub and not a router then you should have a second network card in one of the machines to share the connection. So is this a switch or a router?

Now this here looks like you get a network connection with DHCP when you ran netcardconfig from a console.

When I typed "netconfig" into the command line, I got this message: "Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK. auto lo eth0."
    So did you try to open a browser and see if it works. Here are the commands that we need to see you simply need to open a console window (clam shell icon on tackbar) and type them in and enter key.

Code:
    sudo lspci -v > lscpi.txt
    dmesg > dmesg.txt
    sudo ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
    sudo cp *.txt /floppy
    The first four will redirect the output of the commands to a file which will then be copied to the floppy disk you mount then you can post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Now this description does not sound right if it is just a hub and not a router then you should have a second network card in one of the machines to share the connection.
    I don't know about this case but it doesn't always have to be that way. My ISP serves me 5 DHCP addresses through the bridged connection so when I don't have more machines than that simultaneously connected I don't have to use a router. Many modems also have a built-in NAT router (mine does but I don't use that feature) Anyway, if that (the router missing) is the problem in this case it could be tested by telling the other machines to release their addresses and shutting them down.

Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    I don't know about this case but it doesn't always have to be that way. My ISP serves me 5 DHCP addresses through the bridged connection so when I don't have more machines than that simultaneously connected I don't have to use a router. Many modems also have a built-in NAT router (mine does but I don't use that feature) Anyway, if that (the router missing) is the problem in this case it could be tested by telling the other machines to release their addresses and shutting them down.
    Ah learn something new every day.

windows_no_thanks:

When I typed "sudo less /var/log/messages" nothing appeared on my screen except a small white box in the bottom left corner of the shell dialogue box saying END.

Stephen:

When I typed "lspci | grep Ether" and hit Enter, nothing happened. The same with "lsmod | grep tulip." What's up with that?

Then, when I type in those six command lines, the "mount /floppy" command gives me this message "mount: mount point /floppy does not exist." At the same time I get this message, I hear the floppy disk drive making sounds. What's up with that?

As far as the network questions go, I have no router. It's just a switching hub that connects my computers. My desktop has an onboard VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet adapter. Neither computer connects to the internet through the other (i.e. desktop-->laptop-->internet, or visa versa)...I think they both connect directly to the internet. The network connection between the computers is nonexistant. I never could get it to work so that I could transfer files between them. Probably I should buy a router for that, huh? I think I made a mistake in buying the switching hub. I said I was a newb!

Anyway, what do you think I should do. And BTW, I'm not frustrated at all by this...I think it's kinda fun (something to fiddle around with when I get back from work ). I just hope I'm not wasting either of you folk's time.

When I typed "sudo less /var/log/messages" nothing appeared on my screen except a small white box in the bottom left corner of the shell dialogue box saying END.
    Hmm... looks like it's not in use when booting from CD, my mistake...

When I typed "lspci | grep Ether" and hit Enter, nothing happened. The same with "lsmod | grep tulip." What's up with that?
    Interesting, what do you get if you leave out the "| grep ..." part ?

As far as the network questions go, I have no router. It's just a switching hub that connects my computers. My desktop has an onboard VIA Rhine Fast Ethernet adapter. Neither computer connects to the internet through the other (i.e. desktop-->laptop-->internet, or visa versa)...I think they both connect directly to the internet. The network connection between the computers is nonexistant. I never could get it to work so that I could transfer files between them. Probably I should buy a router for that, huh? I think I made a mistake in buying the switching hub. I said I was a newb!
    Well, I run mine like that too. Don't know about windoze but if you have two linux boxes that can't talk to eachother even tough they are on the same physical network because they have been assigned to different subnets (and the packets aren't routed between those nets) you can set up another private subnet, for instance like this:
    On the first box:
    Code:
     sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.0
    On the second box:
    Code:
     sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.12 netmask 255.255.255.0
    After that they can see eachother at IP addresses 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12

Anyway, what do you think I should do. And BTW, I'm not frustrated at all by this...I think it's kinda fun (something to fiddle around with when I get back from work ). I just hope I'm not wasting either of you folk's time.
    Don't worry about my time, hanging around here is turning into a hobby for me, and sometimes I even manage to say something useful

That looks like it does not get detected if you typed the commands right.

Then, when I type in those six command lines, the "mount /floppy" command gives me this message "mount: mount point /floppy does not exist." At the same time I get this message, I hear the floppy disk drive making sounds. What's up with that?
    You should try /mnt/floppy in the command then that should definitely exist if not then use sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt then copy to the /mnt directory which will be the floppy disk.

Ok then it must be a connection like windos_no_thanks's then. For the switch you did not make a mistake you just need to buy one more network card for desktop machine put it in and activate the Internet Connection and file sharing. Then you would connect the cable from the laptop to the new card and share the connection and your files in windows or if you run linux on both you need a script to run to share the connection.

Stehpen:

Ok...when I typed "mnt/floppy" I got this: "bash: /mnt/floppy: is a directory" That's good, right? So, what should I do now?

windos_no_thanks:

When I type "lspci | Ether" I get "bash: Ether: command not found." I don't know what that means.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast