Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Various questions

Junior Member registered user

Various questions

Just installed Knoppix (my first linux install) and I'm running into some issues.
    1: Display, I can't find where to change the resolution. When I goto the peripherals section and click display I get a floating x for a cursor and it waits a minute then returns to normal doesn't let me configure it. The card is an 8 mb PCI diamond Speedster (plenty old so knoppix should have info on it)

2: Printer and File Sharing The PC is networked to an Xp home box (whichI'm on now) Printer and file sharing is enabled. How can I access that through knoppix? I need to install a network printer (lexmark z605) and access my GF's backed up docs and photos. I did get internet access working.

3: I think thats it, the only 2 problems I've had thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Senior Member registered user
    not sure for one but I can answer 2.

to get to your XP type smb://[name of computer] minus []

to confige printer go to knoppix menu then config then printer

New problem..after about an hour of use, the system started getting really slow and choppy. I checked the system info and it said I only had 16 mb of ram left? (of the 128 mb it had) thing was.. I had nothing running..cept the gui... that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm restarting now to see how much RAM I have available at start..
    erm odd.. according to this I only have 4 mb of free physical memory available..yet the system is running smooth..anyone have any thoughts on this?

[edit] one other thing, I cannot seem to access my large partition I created on the harddrive. Its about 15.5 gb ext3. The root partition is Reiser so that might cause a problem (I'm not sure though) I tried using qtparted to delete it and remake it as a Reiser partition but everytime I delete it it just leaves it as ext3 and I can't recreate it. And by accessing it I can see it, and click on it, but I can't create any new directories or anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    not sure for one but I can answer 2.

to get to your XP type smb://[name of computer] minus []

to confige printer go to knoppix menu then config then printer
    Do I use the name of her comp or my comp?

I tried typing the name of the xp box like this:
    brought up root shell and ran smb://M's Comp
    all I got was this:
    >

what do I do with that?

I am able to cycle through resolutions using ctrl-alt and either + or - key.. however when I do it changes resolutions but does not change the size of the desktop..any idea how I can have my entire desktop scale down to 800x600? I can't seem to find an option for that anywhere.

For resolution and other settings try as root: /usr/bin/kxconfig

Quote Originally Posted by pulsar
    For resolution and other settings try as root: /usr/bin/kxconfig
    well what I mean is the resolution changes but the desktop doesn't resize.so you can actually pan around the desktop..how can I change the physical size of the desktop?

Yes you do want to type the name of the computer not the user.

Lets say I have a computer call ct1 with a user called ut1 I won't ty[e smb://ut1 but rather smb://ct1

get it?

Quote Originally Posted by kellinjar
    New problem..after about an hour of use, the system started getting really slow and choppy. I checked the system info and it said I only had 16 mb of ram left? (of the 128 mb it had) thing was.. I had nothing running..cept the gui... that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm restarting now to see how much RAM I have available at start..
    erm odd.. according to this I only have 4 mb of free physical memory available..yet the system is running smooth..anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Linux will use as much memory as it needs and if any is left over then it gets used to cache disk access and things like that so it is not uncommon to see nearly total usage. The important thing to look for is when you see the swap space in use then it is using the disk drive for storage.

Code:
    HappyTux:/# free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        775648     407288     368360          0      74320     198380
    -/+ buffers/cache:     134588     641060
    Swap:       257000          0     257000
    If you look at this output then you can see the I have roughly 400mb of memory in use and of that about 170mb is buffered and cached so the system itself is only using about 130mb for the actual memory in use.

[edit] one other thing, I cannot seem to access my large partition I created on the harddrive. Its about 15.5 gb ext3. The root partition is Reiser so that might cause a problem (I'm not sure though) I tried using qtparted to delete it and remake it as a Reiser partition but everytime I delete it it just leaves it as ext3 and I can't recreate it. And by accessing it I can see it, and click on it, but I can't create any new directories or anything on it.
    That is a permission problem how are you trying to mount it, what commands do you use and what is the line that you have in the /etc/fstab for the partition? You can simply use as root mkfs.reiserfs /dev/hd?? and format the partition with reiser then mount with the suitable options. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the partition to be formatted. And QTparted does not IIRC support reiserfs at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Yes you do want to type the name of the computer not the user.

Lets say I have a computer call ct1 with a user called ut1 I won't ty[e smb://ut1 but rather smb://ct1

get it?
    M's Comp is the name of the PC as its listed under Windows XP and how it shows up in the network neighbourhood.
    I'll double check it though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast