Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer does not completely shut down

Senior Member registered user

Computer does not completely shut down

I have a COMPAQ presario 1247 [yuk!] That HAD to be liberated to a better OS, such as LINUX. It runs fine except it will not completely shut down when I log out. The display goes off but HDD is still spinnin'. I have to yank out battery or power cable to shut it off. I went into BIOS and disabled the power management. There is no option in the BIOS to shut down computer after OS closes. Any suggestions? bob

OK, well looks like we have the same problem. There isn't any setting in my BIOS that fixes it, I've been through it MANY times and no help. Flashing the BIOS to the newest version didn't help. Really a shame as I've been EXTREMELY pleased with the OS, especially the ease of hardware config <NONE!> and the quality of the browser(s) etc. Oh well, I'll keep searching the Internet for a clue, if I find something I'll post it. Hoping you'll let me knowif you find something..

Bob,

I did figure out that I can shut mine down by holding the power button in for 10 seconds. Not exactly a high-tech approach, but might help.

SHUT DOWN PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks Lark, that sure solved the problem! As soon as I log off, when display finally goes dark I hold the power button down for about 5 seconds or so, and whole thing shuts right down! Thanks! bob[/quote]

Junior Member registered user
    Would your respective machines shut down completely using Windows?

shut down problem

Yes, when WIN98 was on it, the computer would automatically just shut down. I looked in the BIOS but couldnt find anything that made reference to power shutdown adjustments....not realy sure what to look for but the bios in that thing does not have many options.

YEs

Yes, When this PC ran with W98, it would shut itself down completely.

The power management function in linux is way behind Windows. Of course, in most case it is the problem of the motherboard vendor's problem in wrongfully interpret the spec(well that is what the linux kernel guys said) but still it is difficult to convince Joe users when Windows can handle them perfectly.

BTW, the pressing the power button for extended period of time is a 'hard reset' that is equivalent to pulling the power cord or the 'real power off' when there was no such thing as power management in the old PC days, just FYI.

Junior Member registered user
    the reason that windows is so far ahead of linux is because that windows had created a priproitray aproach to shutting down the computer. Linux programmers have been working on a way to reverse engineer this method and their work is what allows some people's computers to be completly shutdown via linux.

From what i hear though, its realted to APM BIOS...or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTempest
    the reason that windows is so far ahead of linux is because that windows had created a priproitray aproach to shutting down the computer. Linux programmers have been working on a way to reverse engineer this method and their work is what allows some people's computers to be completly shutdown via linux.

From what i hear though, its realted to APM BIOS...or something like that.
    I am not sure if I can agree with that. It is not propriotary(both ACPI and APM are open industry standard). The sad fact is, they are complex and sometimes ambigious so either the hardware vendor did it wrong or they may just follow Microsoft's interpretation(which may be closed and guarded as secret). Linux being a late comer has to painfully reverse engineer a propriotory interpretation by Microsoft on an open standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast