Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LINUX CONVERT

Senior Member registered user

LINUX CONVERT

Yes! I can proudly say after using Micro$oft products for many years, since I had installed KNOPPIX to my home computer and a spare laptop I HAVE NOT USED WINDOWSXP in quite a few days now!!!! I am coming along nicely learning a little bit more each day. I understand it may be important for some people to still keep their WINDOWS computers cause of various reasons. I still have WINXP on my gateway laptop and on my other HDD in this desktop computer I am on now. But I find I have been using KNOPPIX for about 90% of the time.....I think I may be addicted...bob

That's great, Bob. Welcome to the party.
    Everyone has their own reasons for switching and I believe people should truly want to switch. In other words, if Linux is truly a better alternative, people will discover this -- as I have. Of course, a little promo never hurt.
    The security is a big factor for me -- I snicker every time one of those Windows worms shows up in my email. I feel my privacy and data are much more secure .
    Windows people poke fun at the many obscure distributions and the percieved lack of cohesiveness of the platform, but I think it is a strength. If one doesn't prefer a particular distro, there are hunderds more to chose from, even ones that almost mirror Windows (XPde). It's all about choice.
    Have fun.

Junior Member registered user
    I too have fallen in love with this OS. I like it so much I am going to start downloading redhat tonite so I can have a permenant version on one of my hard drives. I played around with unix while I was in college (but forgot most of the commands) and I am now discovering the power of linux. It is like rediscovering the joy of computing.

I knew of Unix from the Ultrix platform, mostly running on Sparc and Slick Sun Microsystems machines... Seen some of the "windowing" that they did...

What made me switch, was getting the Knoppix CD, and seeing that, as the people in the Windows World haven't, two factors that led me to installing, and running, Knoppix/Debian/GNU full-time on my business machine:

Security... and,
    Stability...

Viri are "almost" non-existant on a Linux machine, whereas, thousands are "invented" each day, that attack Microsoft machines... Microsoft is almost constantly coming up with more and more "Security patches" each day, and I am sure, on every minute of those days...

Stability is almost a joke on a Windows platform, if you just "look" at the machine the wrong way, could cause a crash... I learned to live with it, years and years of it, makes a person almost realize it isn't a problem, that it "just has to be" kind of thing... Whereas, with Knoppix, its stable, unless I mess something up, I've run days without a reboot, and have had "everything but the kitchen sink" running, at some times, at once, without a single hitch...

I remember the reboots in Windows -=- reboot to install something, reboot to setup system configs, reboot for recovering resources, reboot after a backup, reboot after running a DVD, reboot, reboot, reboot... I've run all of this, in Knoppix, and not once, had to reboot, and the resources return without having to... Amazing people can't see past the "confusing" part of Linux, and it's shell command, and see that the two factors they lack, are what are "exceptional" in Linux...

Oh well, just my two shillings,
    Cuddles

Same here!
    I first started getting interested in the linux world when I found lindows...it is that easy to install like they say but it's a nice OS to play around and learn. Then, a friend told me 'bout Knoppix live CD and I ran it. I like it so much, then I decided to install it to my HDD. I spent one whole day going throughout the docs and I found something that I didn't like, that their isn't a GUI setup to install Knoppix on a hard drive that I had to do manually. So, I tried but fail miserably. So I went on-line and found out some HOWTOs on how to install, weird enought all I had to type is knx-hdinstall and a DOS like GUI starts prompting me with easy to follow questions. Where I read that their isn't a GUI is from Knoppix own FAQs, and yet, some other source told me. It will be nice to update those FAQ to include this installer, it's super easy to use and it's pretty straight forward. Oh, well...I been using Knoppix for 2 days and I love it. I just need to tweak it alittle more and I'll have my dream OS. K4EVER

Linux Convert pt. II

Yes, after 2 months of playing around with KNOPPIX I find that it is fun and I learn a little more each time. The only thing I still have trouble with is the command line stuff. But I keep at it. I did finally manage to download and install GNOME but some of the things dont work right and I dont know how to fix them. I kinda like KDE better to be honest. And the best part is if the system ever crashes, which i doubt, or something goes haywire, I know that I can re install the OS with no problem, and re configure and re customize......unlike WINxp where you have to call Micro$oft and explain why you are re installing. I just need to get a modem that will work with KNOPPIX. Right now I have a cable connection thats working fine, but if I ever need to use a modem for dial up I am outta luck. I have a winmodem and i need to find something else that will work with KNOPPIX. bob

Bob58,

Me too, I was thwarted by the "winmodem" saga as well...

My old system had a LT WinModem, which has support in Knoppix, but could never get anyone other than ROOT to use the modem, so, the new system went through changes to have "no on motherboard" modem, and I tried a USB, but it also turned out to be a "winmodem" in disguise...

I just bought a nice, seriel hardware modem/fax combination modem... Plugs right into your seriel port, which a lot of things don't use anymore, so, having two of them not in use, was no pain giving one to the modem... Knoppix just needed to have /dev/modem pointed to /dev/ttyS0 -=- and POOF, instant working modem... Haven't been happier or more satisfied since...

I have to admit, the shell is giving me trouble as well... Coming from a Windows (always) GUI, I feel like I am dropping into a DOS prompt with the shell... But, I do see where the "power" is at, it just takes more learning of commands... I just got new "switches" for the ls command, ls -l lists in long form, and ls -la lists long form and even those "pesky" dot files and directories that you mostly see with a konquorer screen...

Learning as I go, kinda thing...
    Cuddles

if you wish a crash course in comandline linux try the floppix.com tutorilas.
    it is a debianbased floppylinux (not much room for kde there) that alows you to use modem, send/recieve mail, ftp, surf the web (links), and if you are lucky even your printer might work. edit text (using VI)...
    it is meant to tech linux in a SAFE way, the floppies have no suport for hd, CD... just floppy, so tiny risk to amage something.
    I was introduced to linux with those two floppies. but the tutorials alone are a great reference (i still have them all printed somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by dot.hack//infection
    Same here!
    I first started getting interested in the linux world when I found lindows...it is that easy to install like they say but it's a nice OS to play around and learn. Then, a friend told me 'bout Knoppix live CD and I ran it. I like it so much, then I decided to install it to my HDD. I spent one whole day going throughout the docs and I found something that I didn't like, that their isn't a GUI setup to install Knoppix on a hard drive that I had to do manually. So, I tried but fail miserably. So I went on-line and found out some HOWTOs on how to install, weird enought all I had to type is knx-hdinstall and a DOS like GUI starts prompting me with easy to follow questions. Where I read that their isn't a GUI is from Knoppix own FAQs, and yet, some other source told me. It will be nice to update those FAQ to include this installer, it's super easy to use and it's pretty straight forward. Oh, well...I been using Knoppix for 2 days and I love it. I just need to tweak it alittle more and I'll have my dream OS. K4EVER
    Mr. DotHack, I am pleased to announce to you that after 15 years of being a Windows user, I proudly changed over to Knoppix. Which is Linux anyway. Please let me tell you that I took 25 min. to install knoppix to my harddrive and about 3 days to make it dual boot with another hard drive with windowsxp. Last, Thank You Very Much For Telling Me About KNOPPIX!! You saved my life....

Im just kiddin, but thank you anyway...

welcome

nice to have you along.
    i am also liking this distro of knoppix.

Gentoo forums thou are full of nazi's so stay away from there.

Hackers School

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast