My situatioN: I was desperate to get Linux back on my desktop PC after its 2nd disk drive failed (containing all of my Linux distros), so I thought of trying Knoppix on the surviving first disk. This first disk was partitioned like this:

2GB /hda1 Win98
1GB /hda5 old Redhat 6.1
128MB /hda6 swap
3GB /hda7 /home

I knew that knoppix needed a 2.5 GB partition to install on which I don't have, so I thought I would be crafty and do a manual install, figuring I could use /hda5 as a partition for /opt which just contains openoffice.

So I booted Knoppix from the CD and fdisk'd /hda1 and /hda5 to ext3 partitions. I then copied the contents of
/KNOPPIX/opt into /mnt/hda5 and the rest of /KNOPPIX
into /mnt/hda1. I think the copy was successful, and didn't see any errors concerning full devices, though hda1 showed 100% usage afterwards.

(I have since apt-get remove'd the uneccessary kde-i8n
language files which clears up a substantial amount of space (now 92% full).)

I modified /etc/fstab to look like :
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda5 /opt ext3 rw,auto,user,exec,async 1 2
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 rw,auto,user,exec,async 1 2

(and created mount points for /opt and /home)

I also updated lilo.conf to tell lilo to boot from /dev/hda1
)the new / partition).

Unfortunately when I reboot to my newly installed HDD Knoppix, /opt and /home never get mounted, and it drops to a shell as it can't find /home/knoppix. I can then
type
mount /opt
mount /home
/etc/init.d/xsession start
and it contnues.

Obviously I would like to get /home and /opt automatically mounted at boot time, but can't see what I am doing wrong.

Anyone have any ideas. In particular which knoppix script controls the disk mounting

Thanx in advance