Thread: crazy error part 2

Senior Member registered user

crazy error part 2

I see behind the little screen on screen behind it, it says
    "notification"....thats what I was last working on before this error....i was trying to configure event sounds...then this thing happened!!!

Crazy error

If you can boot from CD and get a normal display, try copying /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to a floppy, restart without CD and overwrite the old file. This trick helped me when Symantec Norton Ghost'ing several PC's.
    Hope it helps!

a little more detail.....

Hi Snowflake...thanks for helping me , but can you give me those instructions in a little more detail cause I am still kind of new to this. Let me see if I understand.....I boot up from CD, and I dont know the commands yet....what is the command to copy a file? OK so i have to bring up a console and get into the /etc/ directory...then cd into /x11/ directory....and there should be a file called "xf86config-4".....ok so then what is the command to copy it onto a floppy? Now when its copied onto a floppy, I re start computer and it should boot from the floppy and replace the current version of the file "xf86config-4"? Does the floppy have to be a boot disk floppy with this new file added to it? Or just a regular floppy with just the file "xf86config-4" on it? ? ? ? ? I looked on my computer in the /etc/ directory, but there is no subdirectory called "x11" in there!!! Or is this just on the CD????? aaaaahhhhh!!!!! bob

why not copy it straight to the hdd?
    Knoppix will ofcource mount your hdd read-only by default.
    thre are ways arount that.

As root (sudo su - as it is only one coand), run
    Code:
    sudo su - remountrw /dev/sdXY
    where X is your hdd's letter (a, b..) and Y is the device number.

Now you should first rename the old xf86config-4 to say old-xf86config-4,
    next copy /etc/X11/xf86config-4 to the /etc/X11 directory on that recently reounted drive.
    that should be it.
    reboot and enjoy

does not work

Hi Oerjan...i tried what you suggested but when i did, the response was that it didnt recognize the word "remount". The computer is not letting me have any access to that file in /etc/x11/xf86config-4
    I can't find it using console no matter what i do....i can get into the /etc/ directory, but when i do cd /x11 it says it cant find the directory. I dont understand why i cant find it at console...i log in using root console, type in cd ..
    then cd /etc
    then cd /x11 and it comes back and says it cannot find that directory, but when i go back to graphical mode and look for that file in konquerir it finds it no problem. I hate to have to re install the whole OS....but i cant log in as root into KDE at all....i can log in as regular user no problem....i logged in as regular user, then did ctrl+alt+f2 and at command prompt logged in as root and did ctrl+alt+f7 to get back into KDE and try to access that file but it wont give me access to copy it, rename it, delete it...nothing. any other ideas?!?!?!?! thanks....bob

all fixed

It was a sound notification problem....I just logged in as ROOT using another window manager...apparently this notification problem was only happening in KDE. So i was able to go into control center and disable all notificastions.....re boot and go back as root into kde....everything OK!....

Re: all fixed

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    go back as root into kde....everything OK!....
    Just why are you running KDE as root to start with, it is not necessary and is a security risk. Everything you need to do as root can be accomplished by using su in a console window as normal user or from the console itself after logging in as normal user and again using su to become root.

Regular user vs. ROOT

Yes I am beginning to see that. I am trying to get used to it. How come there are 2 GUI's one for ROOT amd the other for USER? I would think if you needed to do something as ROOT then you would just bring up the root console and do your thing. Now I see that.....WOW this is more intriguing every day! OK so there is no sense in setting up a custom environment in KDE as ROOT.

Re: Regular user vs. ROOT

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    OK so there is no sense in setting up a custom environment in KDE as ROOT.
    None at all if fact when you login as normal user you should go to the Control Center and in the System Administration -> Login Manager use the administrator mode button then change it so it does not show the root user in the login screen, KDE will popup a dialog for the root password and you can change the settings. Any KDE program that requires the root password for changes should popup the same dialog.

How come there are 2 GUI's one for ROOT amd the other for USER?
    Never have understood that one myself Klaus never intended for Knoppix to be installed to the HD so it is an oversite in Fabian's script and the /etc/skel files on the CD that get copied only a couple of lines changed are needed to get rid of it, on a Debian install it is set to no root login by default.

sounds good

Hi Stephen.....I went in and set up my regular user log ons to a nice customized look on both my laptop and desktop and will leave the root accounts alone. This is such an interesting OS......It has occupied all my free time and attention...well mostly. My wife is wondering what I am up to! I explained to her I was trying to learn a new OS. It is hard though.