Thread: Apt-get on standalone system

Apt-get on standalone system

This is probably more of a Debian question than Knoppix, but here goes.

Just installed Knoppix on an AMD64 a few days ago. Runs great.

Am converting from RH-9 to Knoppix, mainly because of whacko problems with RH libraries and functions when I try to download and compiile even something simple. I am totally tired of RPMs that need dependencies that need dependencies that need.... and so on. Apt-get reads good, at least.

I am on the wrong end of a 26k barbed wire and tin can phone line so apt-getting on the 'Net is totally impractical. However, I am told that you can download debs on another machine then install from CD. At the moment I am just trying to learn to install from the 7 cds that came with the Debian distro.

All of the books and tutorials automatically assume that you have a good internet connection and say almost nothing about apt-getting with only CDs.

I guess my main question is - how do you point apt-get to the cd roms? I have done an apt-cdrom add and it worked. The index is in /etc/apt/. But when I try to install even a very small program, it automatically tries to connect to the FTP servers and of course, fails. I can't find anything in the manuals, or the Kpackage manager that allow me to tell it to assume a CD source install. It must be there - I just don't see it.

If I have overlooked a very simple man page or tutorial, go ahead and yell and I will gladly track it down. I have a feeling that I am seeing the trees but not the forest and I am making this too hard.

Thanks all
    CptKrf

Senior Member registered user

Re: Apt-get on standalone system

--Howdy, Cap. I feel yer pain. I went from DSL (165KB/sec) back to 56K dialup (3.0KB - 4.5KB/sec) and man, it is teh sux0r.

--But bro, your best bet might be to start ' apt-get update ' late at night, say around 9pm, and check to see if it finished around 10 or 10:15pm. Then let ' apt-get upgrade ' run overnight, and check it about 6-8am. From there you can keep an eye on it, if it asks questions. Make sure you have an idle-seconds timeout setup on the modem, so it hangs up after idling for a while.

--I'm just being realistic here. CD-based debian is by definition out-of-date, and there are regular security updates and bugfixes. You can get around much of the download pain by only doing upgrades once a week, and backing up the day before in case Something goes wrong. This is pretty much the way I've settled into doing things.

--BTW - For dialup, life for me is at least a little easier due to keeping my Squid server. If you're interested in what this can do for speeding up your dialup connection, (and DSL as well) lemme know.

http://www.squid-cache.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CptKrf
    This is probably more of a Debian question than Knoppix, but here goes.

Just installed Knoppix on an AMD64 a few days ago. Runs great.

Am converting from RH-9 to Knoppix, mainly because of whacko problems with RH libraries and functions when I try to download and compiile even something simple. I am totally tired of RPMs that need dependencies that need dependencies that need.... and so on. Apt-get reads good, at least.

I am on the wrong end of a 26k barbed wire and tin can phone line so apt-getting on the 'Net is totally impractical. However, I am told that you can download debs on another machine then install from CD. At the moment I am just trying to learn to install from the 7 cds that came with the Debian distro.

All of the books and tutorials automatically assume that you have a good internet connection and say almost nothing about apt-getting with only CDs.

I guess my main question is - how do you point apt-get to the cd roms? I have done an apt-cdrom add and it worked. The index is in /etc/apt/. But when I try to install even a very small program, it automatically tries to connect to the FTP servers and of course, fails. I can't find anything in the manuals, or the Kpackage manager that allow me to tell it to assume a CD source install. It must be there - I just don't see it.

If I have overlooked a very simple man page or tutorial, go ahead and yell and I will gladly track it down. I have a feeling that I am seeing the trees but not the forest and I am making this too hard.

Thanks all
    CptKrf

Senior Member registered user
    In Europe, start around 5am before the Americans wake up!
    OG.

Junior Member registered user
    I'm no expert on this since I just started using debian (knoppix hd install) last week.

It might be due to the fact that your 7 debian cds are the "stable" release and some of the stuff on knoppix 3.3 is the "testing" release.

Try commenting out all links to ftp site in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file and change your all instances of "testing" to "stable".