Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Back up boot floppy?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9

    Back up boot floppy?

    I have now got knoppix running from my HD (after reading posts on here, thanx!)

    Is there any way to boot directly from my HD or do I have to use the floppy that knoppix created? If no then.....

    How can I backup the floppy? They aren't exactly reliable!

    Regards
    Spangeman (an extreme novice to unix, linux and anything non-windows)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Back up boot floppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by spangeman
    I have now got knoppix running from my HD (after reading posts on here, thanx!)

    Is there any way to boot directly from my HD or do I have to use the floppy that knoppix created? If no then.....

    How can I backup the floppy? They aren't exactly reliable!

    Regards
    Spangeman (an extreme novice to unix, linux and anything non-windows)
    To backup the floppy open a console window with the floppy in the drive and as root dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/path/desired/to/store/knoppixboot.img then to write to a floppy also as root dd if=/path/to/knoppixboot.img of=/dev/fd0. To boot from the HD you will have to check your /etc/lilo.conf file and make sure that it has the proper settings for your setup then run as root /sbin/lilo -v to write the file to the HD so it can be used. If you need help with this then you should post the /etc/lilo.conf and tells us where the / partition is hda1, hda5, hdb1 ... and if you have any other OS's installed on the machine.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9

    Re: Back up boot floppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen

    To backup the floppy open a console window with the floppy in the drive and as root dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/path/desired/to/store/knoppixboot.img then to write to a floppy also as root dd if=/path/to/knoppixboot.img of=/dev/fd0.
    Being a linux newbie means that makes very little sense to me
    I know how to open a console window with the floppy but the code:

    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/path/desired/to/store/knoppixboot.img

    is a little confusing.

    can: path/desired/to/store/knoppixboot.img be anywhere on linux such as a directory in knoppix/home? As for:

    dd if=/path/to/knoppixboot.img of=/dev/fd0

    is =/path/to/knoppixboot.img where the floppy drive is? How does it know where the copied file is on my HD?

    And I'm just ignoring the HD boot coz thats way over my head

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Back up boot floppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by spangeman

    can: path/desired/to/store/knoppixboot.img be anywhere on linux such as a directory in knoppix/home? As for:
    Yes the if= is the input file in this case the floppy (/dev/fd0) you want to duplicate the of= or output file is the image that you want to save to hard disk and you can save it anywhere pretty much eg. of=/home/username/knoppixboot.img.

    dd if=/path/to/knoppixboot.img of=/dev/fd0

    is =/path/to/knoppixboot.img where the floppy drive is? How does it know where the copied file is on my HD?
    That would be where the boot image is that you have saved to hard disk and want to write too a new floppy which would be the if= or input file now then you write to the of=/dev/fd0 or output file which is the floppy so you now have a duplicate.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9
    worked a treat thank you for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering a Boot CD to do a bit stream back up
    By jowens in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 06:22 PM
  2. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  3. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •