Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Pointers

Member registered user

Mouse Pointers

Hi All,

While playing about with all sorts of settings and learning what this linux thing can do, I noted that sometimes the choice of colour scheme and the pointers for the mouse can prove to be an unfortunate mix, which could often use a little tweaking at least to make it all work nicely together. How can you tweak/select the pointer graphics used for the mouse? I'd like the "I Beam" not to have a drop shadow as it's silly really, since you are never quite sure which one it's using for placement in some colour schemes.

I like CDS as a colour set, but the cursor (while typing here on the forum) is almost invisible due to this colour mix thing as well, can I change that to a flashing block of any colour as I'd like? (I'd pick one which can be seen, whether it's deemed "cool" or not! )

Senior Member registered user
    AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.

Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
    http://www.kde-look.org/

Tiny Pointer

One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    AFAICT, there are 4 sets of cursor themes provided. I generally use the redglass cursor theme, as it stands out against light/dark backgrounds, making it easier for me to locate where the cursor is at. You can compile and insert additional cursor themes but most that I've worked with have to be compiled per user, but I'd rather if it could be set globally for all users, preferably.
    Hmm.. can't find those four you mention, how are you seeing them? - I looked under themes based on what you said, but no luck

Still no idea about the typing/insert cursor either - a block would likely be more visible that a line I am hoping! oh well, back to the draining board!

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Haven't looked much at eye candy myself, but most stuff for kde can be found at:
    http://www.kde-look.org/
    That's a neat site for later, thanks!

Member registered user

Re: Tiny Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
    One thing that bugs me is the size of the mouse pointer is excruciatingly small. The mouse setup has a check box to use larger pointer and it will take effect after KDE is re started. But I have re started for about a month now and pointer still is too tiny to see! Any ideas? bob
    Changes being asked for, and then getting ignored seems to be a rather regular feature of life in X, beyond that, not a clue sadly.

Is there an XPay86 etc. counterpart that maybe works reliably? That seems to be where most trouble stems from if you want a desktop, and some of this century's niceties on your box.

You can change the mouse theme and install new themes in:
    K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme

As for a larger cursor try changing in /home/login_name/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals a line under [KDE] to LargeCursor=true

crazy KDE

Hi...I checked that file [KDEGLOBALS] and there are already 2 lines, one for LargeCursor=True and another for a white cursor.....I wonder why I cant make my cursor arrow BIGGER? Very strange if it is correct in the configuration.......any more ideas??? Also : I dont have an option for CURSOR THEME for some reason. I guess someone up there doesnt want me to have a cursor I can see!

K menu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Cursor theme

Any other suggestions////thanks

Just another idea
    The kdeglobals file is also in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast