Thread: JavaIDE With Knoppix

JavaIDE With Knoppix

Is there anyway to get/install/integrate a Java IDE in Knoppix? I run a high school java programing class, and Knoppix would be perfect!

I'm not very good at Linux, so I would have no idea where to start when making a custom Knoppix cd. Can anyone here help? I was interested in integrating Borland JBuilder Personal (free).

Senior Member registered user
    I have a CD with IBM Eclipse on it, but it loads up very slowly. Please see my website listed below!

BTW, you don't really need an IDE. I use a text editor to write code for Java (like KATE) and a console window to run javac and java (like KONSOLE). If you're running an applet, write the appropriate *.html file to load it and open from a browser (like KONQUEROR). That's all I use!

NB: javac and java on the KNOPPIX CD are really running an open source Java from the GCC project http://gcc.gnu.org called gcj. I currently teach AP Computer Science using KNOPPIX and g++ from gcc. J2SE 1.4.1 (JDK) is not open source, so its not included in KNOPPIX. The JRE is from Blackdown Java 1.3.

Good Luck,

I'm working with beginer kids, and they can't handle a straight text editor. They need a more advanced development package, with features like intellisense.

As for the cd with IBM Eclipse, I don't see it on your site. Also, if it is on your site, could you just transfer it to me? I'm on broadband, and even $10 is more then my school wants to put out for technology these days.

Does Knoppix include any JavaX classes? Javax says the swing class isn't there. Here is my app:

import javax.swing.*;
    import java.text.*;

public class Average2 {
    public static void main (String[] args) {
    double num1, num2, num3, avg;
    String input;
    DecimalFormat db = new DecimalFormat("###.00");
    input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Enter a number:");
    num1 = Double.parseDouble(input);
    num2 = Double.parseDouble(input);
    num3 = Double.parseDouble(input);
    avg = (num1 + num2 + num3) / 3.0;
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null, "The average is " + df.format(avg), "Average Computation", JOptionpage.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
    System.exit(0);
    }
    }

The error:
    Average2.java:1: Can't find default package `javax.swing'. Check the CLASSPATH environment variable and the access to the archives
    1 error

I've tried the standard classes plus java.awt.* and java.applet.* - I don't think that javax is fully supported yet. I haven't had a chance to test swing.

However, they're adding to the GCC project every day! Not too long ago, KNOPPIX had a version of gcj that didn't even implement awt or applet yet!

BTW, every time Klaus Knopper updates KNOPPIX, it includes the latest versions of all included packages.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    they're adding to the GCC project every day
    Hmm... so the JDK isn't installed in Knoppix? My students are used to using swing, and I feel that something else would put them off track (they only really know simple vb, and swing is close to VB's msgbox).

I have a CD with IBM Eclipse on it, but it loads up very slowly. Please see my website listed below!
    Thanks! I will try it.

BTW, you don't really need an IDE. I use a text editor to write code for Java (like KATE) and a console window to run javac and java (like KONSOLE). If you're running an applet, write the appropriate *.html file to load it and open from a browser (like KONQUEROR). That's all I use!
    It depends what "really" means to you. You really could solve any computational problem with a simple turing machine and a long string of 0-s and 1-s - it's proven! But its impractical. Your way is fine for typing in a "hello world" program from a textbook and maybe the next 2, 3 examples. It-s also fine for educational purposes where students have to learn coding discipline

I am a professional java developer and do rarely work from scratch. Unually there is a large program to maintain, written by others; and a huge library with 1000-s of classes to use. I need an ide like eclipse, jbuilder or netbeans for efficient work, which supports code completion with integrated javadoc display and a graphical debugger with thread support and expression evaluation, to mention the most important ide features.

The ide-s mentioned above are quite fine, but slow. KDeveloper is contained in the knoppix distribution and very nice for C++ programming - somewhere I read about a java integration module for KDeveloper. Does anyone know how to use/configure KDeveloper as a java ide in knoppix?

Yes, of course you are correct. However, we were talking about utilites for teaching students preAP and AP CompSci in High School. For this purpose, KATE/KONSOLE/KONQUEROR is fine. All I miss is swing....

BTW, the CD I have available thru my website with IBM Eclipse on it is the one with the Java re-master.

Regards,