Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help needed with lm sensors

Senior Member registered user
    Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you simply

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.25-1-*

or, if you wanted NVidia drivers,

apt-get install nvidia-kernel-image-2.4.25-1.*

replacing * with 386, 586tsc, 686, k6, or k7, depending on your CPU? (Looks like the NVidia kernel also requires the "nvidia-kernel-common" package, but one would think the Debian package manager would install the dependencies.)

Point being, there's an "lm-sensors-2.4.25-1-*" package and an "alsa-modules-2.4.25-1-*" package (where * = same as above) all ready to go, no compilation from source necessary. (You can search the Debian package list for "alsa" and "lm-sensors" and "kernel", etc. for more info.)

And you don't have to uninstall your current 2.4.24-xfs kernel; just adjust your /boot/grub/menu.lst (assuming you're using GRUB) to default to the new kernel.

I installed ALSA on Debian Woody (using kernel 2.4.16) I did have to fiddle with configuration files, as explained on ALSA's web site, specific to my sound card. Even so, doesn't that sound easier than compiling from source? (I couldn't really test lm-sensors; it installed fine but my mobo doesn't have sensors on it.)

That does it -- I'm going to have to nuke Red Hat off my K6 and install Debian Sarge, so I can dink around with this.

Well, I won't find out what happens to a kernel compiled mistakenly under root, the compile failed around bttv (more lm sensor, or actually i2c joy ) which frankly I didn't think I even had enabled in the config.

Eco, please dink away at this, your input is much appreciated. I will take the 2.4.25-1 kernel under consideration, I have been trying all 3 methods of lm sensor installing (or rather i2c because I think that is where the prob lies): 1. outside of kernel but compiled against a "pure" 2.4.24-xfs running. 2. semi-patch of kernel tree and 3. running the mkpatch and then compiling the whole dang thing over with the newly patch i2c modules. Abysmal failure. Under no conditions have I ever had /etc/modutils/local which sensors dectect always tells me to edit to add alias char-major- 89 i2c-dev. I have checked several debian lm-sensor documentation and indeed there shold be a /etc/modutils/local <sniffle>

Where I am probably going wrong is it does say to use a vanilla and not a patched kernel no matter what method. I have been using 2.4.24-xfs for the xfs as something or another hadn't made it into unstable yet at the time this knoppix was mastered.

Cuddles, or anyone with a successful lm- sensors going, could you tell me the result of uname -r? I can't believe anymore that it is possible against a 2.4.24-xfs.anything. Once I can get the modules going properly, I don't care about which front-end, I have at times had ksensors going (they are working fine for fans and proc numbers) but don't have any preference.

I just don't know why I keep pounding away at this rather than switching distros. Or waiting for 3.4 which may have the newer i2c (2.8 whatever) already. Stubborn, I guess

Here ya go Nishtya...

Code:
    root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors# uname -r
    2.4.22-xfs
    root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors#
    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles

wow, Cuddles. I see it with my own eyes it is possible! This gives me the strength to carry on! I compiled a fresh yummy kernel this morning while in shower for another go after work at the lm sensors option #3 I am becoming obsessed with kernel compiling, I wonder if there is a twelve-step program for this?

Hmmmmm Nishtya.

Twelve step programs now

I am not sure if I should offer you a "drink", or hand you a "diploma"

From what I have heard, a "twelve step program" is used for recovering alcoholics, and even less sure if this same kind of "program" is used for "higher" education...

Lets find out...

"Grasshopper, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, or walk on rice paper without leaving footprints, then it is time for you to go..."

Sorry, I used to watch a "lot" of TV when I was younger, that was from "Kung Fu"...

Not sure if you ever posted what error messages you are getting? Can you post them, copy/paste them into a post... I did get a lot of "funny" dialog during my install, but not knowing if it was "good" or "bad", I just kept going... Could this also be the issue??? In other words, doing a "make" can you do the next step in the process, or does the next process fail due to "xxxxxx" is missing???

Having compiled my own programs -=- in the M$ Windows world -=- you compile source to get "object" code, which is then "linked" with module code and libraries... If, when you compile, you get .obj code file, you then would assume "warnings" and not "errors", and go to the "link" process next (this being from a compile example in Windows, it may not be the same in Linux)

Whenever doing source code in Linux, I have always gone on the "assumption" that if the last couple of lines don't say something like: "Fatal Error, object file not created !" -=- that I have gone on to the next step, again, this may not be the same thing in Linux... I have gotten "W"'s in an "apt-get", and always assumed they were warnings, not errors. As long as the end result works, it may just be "Too Much Information", which apt-get tends to do a lot.

I have to admit one thing, I've not gone as far as you have as far as compiling source, my WinModem was as tough as I could go, the lm-sensors source, was more "follow these steps", and even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing, it just worked. Funny thing about Linux, what is easy one place, can be horrific another. (I guess its just the nature of the beast)

Good Luck, if you need anymore assistance, I'll be around (watching) and "praying" for your success

Cuddles

sorry, Cuddles another failure. I went with the latest from the link you gave me, i2c 2.84 and lm sensors 2.86. I tried the "quickstart" option running a freshly compiled (and RUNNING) kernel 2.4.24-xfs. And this is the result, pardon the length but if anybody here has any ideas, please....
    i2c all went well with no errors at all on make or make install, then depmod -a
    then on to lm-sensors and the
    first errors encountered, "make"
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c: In function `nforce2_access':
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: `I2C_CLIENT_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: for each function it appears in.)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:204: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:219: error: `I2C_SMBUS_WORD_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:220: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:221: error: `I2C_SMBUS_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:222: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:247: warning: implicit declaration of function `i2c_delay'
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c: In function `nforce2_probe_smb':
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:325: error: `I2C_HW_SMBUS_NFORCE2' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make: *** [kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.o] Error 1

second error encountered (as root)on "make instal" duhl
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c: In function `nforce2_access':
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: `I2C_CLIENT_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:140: error: for each function it appears in.)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:204: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:219: error: `I2C_SMBUS_WORD_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:220: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:221: error: `I2C_SMBUS_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:222: error: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:247: warning: implicit declaration of function `i2c_delay'
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c: In function `nforce2_probe_smb':
    kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c:325: error: `I2C_HW_SMBUS_NFORCE2' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make: *** [kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.o] Error 1
    I then did successfully:
    Do (as root) `depmod -a'.

* Verify that /usr/local/lib is listed in /etc/ld.so.conf;
    add it if it isn't.

* Do (as root) `ldconfig'.

* Run (as root) `prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh' to create the device files,
    unless you already have them or are running devfs.

* Run (as root) `prog/detect/sensors-detect' to detect your hardware,

and then the big failures:
    We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
    You do not need any special privileges for this.
    Do you want to probe now? (YES/no): y
    Probing for PCI bus adapters...
    Use driver `rivatv' for device 01:00.0: GeForce2 GTS
    Use driver `i2c-sis645' for device 00:02.0: Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595
    Probe succesfully concluded.

We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
    Load `rivatv' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): y
    modprobe: Can't locate module rivatv
    Loading failed... skipping.
    ** Note: rivatv module is available at http://rivatv.sourceforge.net/
    Load `i2c-sis645' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): y
    modprobe: Can't locate module i2c-sis645
    Loading failed... skipping.
    If you have undetectable or unsupported adapters, you can have them
    scanned by manually loading the modules before running this script.

To continue, we need module `i2c-dev' to be loaded.
    If it is built-in into your kernel, you can safely skip this.
    i2c-dev is not loaded. Do you want to load it now? (YES/no): y
    Module loaded succesfully.

We are now going to do the adapter probings. Some adapters may hang halfway
    through; we can't really help that. Also, some chips will be double detected;
    we choose the one with the highest confidence value in that case.
    If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address, you can
    specify that address to remain unprobed. That often
    includes address 0x69 (clock chip).
    Can't exec "i2cdetect": No such file or directory at prog/detect/sensors-detect line 4366, <STDIN> line 4.
    Couldn't find i2cdetect program!! at prog/detect/sensors-detect line 4366, <STDIN> line 4.
    root@ecs:/usr/src/lm_sensors-2.8.6#

I have to know when I am licked (though, heck I have become one kernel-compiling maniac :P)

Will now wait patiently for 3.4, new kernel and perhaps a better shot at this thing.

Nish
    Have kernel...will compile

Keep trying nishtya. I think I'm in the same boat as Cuddles here...I got it working, but I'm not entirely sure how. I had the same problems you had at first, but eventually got it working. I don't know what to tell you though...have you tried first installing i2c through the source, but then installing lm_sensors through apt-get? You shouldn't have to recompile your kernel to get it going...I didn't read the thread too closely, so perhaps that was for something else. Anyways..you'll get it.

pleased to "meet you", Champagne. Thanks for the encouragement though I probably will put it away for now. I have been kernel-compiling because in the lm sensors faqs & readme's they give 3 (sometimes only 2, ) methods of installing. Two (or 1) of them requires compiling the modules into a new kernel (preferably an unpatched virginal vanilla one ) before configuring and installing it. I have seen how it does provide options under i2c & hw sensors in menuconfig that are not there until using running their mkpatch. That was the why to kernel-compiling. Still no lm-sensors, but I have learned a LOT about compiling kernels. Obviously not enough, though, and I will be needing a reinstall of knoppix soon, am having trouble removing all the castaway kernels with dpkg because of the third party modules built into them. My old kernel is still running and working but I feel bloated <burp>

However...Your idea about is intriguing. hmmmmm.... nope I know when I am licked

Nish,

I think I got (about the same, just driver/card name changes) about the same error messages, I think...

I just kept going... I did the compile of i2c, then lm-sensors, then the changes made to init.d, the loading of them, and then the sensors config...

I (also) did a reboot after doing all of this, considering they wanted some of these things loaded, and that I (also) did the "manual" loading of these modules, as well, I wanted to ENSURE that they auto-load on a boot (this is a fall-back attituide from Windows days - you ALWAYS rebooted after installing ANYTHING - I think for two reasons -=- (1) was to ensure that whatever was installed, actually got itself loaded correctly on a boot, and (2) to ENSURE that Windows would even BOOT after installing something (which many times a new installed program would "stomp" all over something else, making boot impossible, and causing me to reach "involuntarily" for my Win98 Emergency Boot Floppy, so I could "find out what went wrong"...

I have become (almost) a Guru in Win98 - having a previous system that would refuse to run Setup.Exe for any program, I got very good at installing from INF files, manually - some of my apprehension in Knoppix, stems from the fact that I have EARNED a "KINGS CROWN" for Windows "tweaking", and I guess, I don't want to give it up -=- sorry, but, as most people, I LIKE to wear my WAR WOUNDS "proudly" on my shoulders

Only thing I can think of Nish is, have you tried reboots at "strategically" placed intervals??? I know, I know, you shouldn't have to reboot in Linux, its a "live" OS, being able to start, stop, and change things "on the fly" - something Windows doesn't do -=- but, this is the only thing I can think of... Maybe, after trying the changes made for i2c, and sensors-detect errors - reboot - and try sensors-detect again - I think I had done it that way...

I know Stephen would "kick me in the rump" for suggesting that you should reboot after inserting something into your kernel - he feels that Knoppix/Linux is "live" and doesn't "require" nor "has to" have a reboot - but my Windows days have always influenced my decisions, and still do, even if I don't have too...

Considering your "errors" in sensors-detect - it appears the i2c-device stuff isn't getting loaded for sensors to find them - I know the docs suggested (for my install) that I "manually" start them, as well as place them where they would be started "automatically" on booting - I am such a stickler on "auto-start" -=- I "always" have to test them first by botting -=- as a side note -=- when you boot, I get a "short" dialog of "i2c" detection at starting up information - but only in the boot screen, not within dmesg output, do you see the same thing when you boot??? I am also not sure, but you gave the output of "i2c" output, did you also do "lm-sensors" compilation as well???

Here is what I did:
    compile, make, installing, and add what modifications suggested to any files - for i2c
    compile, make, installing, and add what modifications suggested to any files - for lm-sensors
    (I am quite sure I then tried sensors-detect - but I think I got the same errors you did)

So, I rebooted, and tried sensors-detect again, after the reboot, and it didn't go without warnings, maybe some errors, but I was able to fire up my sensors program "xsensors", or the "quick start" documentation suggested running, I think it was "sensors" to test the installation out. I then found GKrellm (sp) because it has a better GUI than xsensors.

DON'T GIVE UP NISH - I think you are getting close - Heck, even your output says it FOUND the i2c-dev module -=- I think you know you are getting close too - hence your attituide to keep trying it, I think it may just turn out to be something like: i2c needs to get kicked in the rump twice in the install, before lm-sensors sees it, and then sensors-detect needs to do "something" before it kicks in... (kinda like the secret order of things -=- press X twice, click the mouse once here, twice there, move it to the lower right, then to the upper left, turn around in a room exactly 6 feet by 6 feet, twice, first time in clockwise rotation, then in counter-clockwise rotation, sit down in your chair, stand up, then sit down again, pretend to press the spacebar, but "very quickly" before the OS realizes that you aren't going to press the spacebar, you press the "G" key instead, then wait exactly 31.5 seconds, and stare at the "one" blemish in your ceiling paint for another 2.7 seconds, before running "this" program)

OOOPS, almost forget, and while doing all of the above, "Pray to the Ol' Mighty" that it works - sometimes you just got to have "faith"...

I've been lucky on a few things, with Knoppix, but then again, I have had way too many "war wounds" from Windows - and feel tired from the "battle" - Knoppix has its issues, but, from my years of Windows, not as bad... Don't give up Nish, I think the light is visible at the end of the tunnel

Cuddles

well, Cuddles, we aren't exactly the same - you are running 2.4.22 and I am 2.4.24, can't see where it should make that much difference but this lm-sensors seems to be a tricky sonofagun so who knows! During my dozen or so attempts, I have tried the ol' rebooting trick even though I did try to load the modules manually (and get

If I do make another go, (note "IF") I think I may try this on a fresh knoppix install. I have already resigned myself to doing a fresh one, I do feel it's getting a little ripe and I think things like this lm sensors will be easy to keep trying at if I just go with a fresh install, then do nothing to it. Absolutely nothing, not even import my bookmarks so I can just keep pounding away at it. I could get more aggressive at getting it to work if I all have is simple reinstall again after I bork it A fresh knoppix install takes only a little longer than kernel compiling which I am starting to tire of (figured I only compiled a dozen or so in the last week )

Have been holding off because I really have my knoppix setup with my goodies like I want, and I will miss all that while I go banging my head into the night over lm sensors. I do have my best spare puter in pieces for the last few weeks - that would have been great as a test bed. I even have a spare hd with a knoppix install on it. Just haven't had the time to put the spare puter back together since I swapped cases with my main machine. Probably because I have been to busy compiling kernels!!!!

Nish

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast