Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help needed with lm sensors

You can actually run the Kanotix kernel on Knoppix and get the vanilla source from http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/
    I didn't have to recompile a kernel to get the lm-sensors to work, and it seems you don't care for another compile
    My kernel is an older one from Kanotix though I don't see why the recent 2.4.26 wouldn't work.
    root@fujibox:~# uname -r
    2.4.24-xfs-fe-dm1
    Installing the Kanotix kernel is actually quicker (I think) than compiling on a sluggish computer like my Celeron 1000.
    I tried to document some steps I took, and this is about it: (Could have forgotten something)

root@fujibox:~# tar -xvzf i2c-2.8.4.tar.gz
    root@fujibox:~# tar -xvzf lm_sensors-2.8.6.tar.gz
    root@fujibox:~# cd i2c-2.8.4
    root@fujibox:~# make
    root@fujibox:~# make install
    root@fujibox:~# depmod -a
    root@fujibox:~# cd ../lm_sensors-2.8.6
    root@fujibox:~# make
    root@fujibox:~# make install
    root@fujibox:~# depmod -a
    root@fujibox:~# cat /etc/ld.so.conf |grep /usr/local/lib (you should see "/usr/local/lib" as the output)
    root@fujibox:~# ldconfig
    root@fujibox:~# prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh
    root@fujibox:~# prog/detect/sensors-detect

Substitute the rest with what you got from sensors-detect:

Add to: /etc/modules.conf:
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

Add to: /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
    # I2C adapter drivers
    modprobe i2c-i801
    modprobe i2c-i810
    # I2C chip drivers
    # no driver for Asus AS2K129R Mozart-2 yet, ask us for one!
    modprobe ddcmon
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/local/bin/sensors -s

root@fujibox:~# update-modules
    root@fujibox:~# shutdown -r now (and now is the time to cross fingers)

apt-get install whatever sensor software you want, ksensors, gkrellm?

Senior Member registered user
    Yes, Markus - I am a fan of Kano! Their script got my nvidia working when I was still noober and not up to kernel compiling yet . But I had trouble back when trying to grab the vanilla kernel with his script, anyhow, got a 404 or a "file not found". When I emailed him about it, he was very clear that the kernel wasn't meant for a knoppix install so I dropped it.

Now, were you running the vanilla kernel when doing the lm sensors install? From reading through the docs they are pretty strongly worded about not compiling against a kernel that you aren't actually running (though at this point I might just try ) It's something I haven't tried yet. So I have been dutifully compiling the whole shebang again and again to load those modules into the kernel.

Perhaps my best game plan would be to put on a fresh knoppix install on my main machine, get my spare machine together again to use it as a guinea pig for things like this? Different hardware, for sure, but I feel this particular problem stems from something in my configuration or some stupid mistake (bingo, likeliest ) I am making as opposed to stemming from hardware.

I really do appreciate all the support the folks here are trying to provide. With all the different distros and flavors of kernels it is hard to find the answer without appealing to a large base of people hoping one has a similar combination to myself. Thanks, I know it shouldn't be this hard and the help has been appreciated

Meant for Knoppix or not, I'm still running the Kanotix kernel on Knoppix, and have been while I installed lm-sensors.
    Just leave your old one in lilo in case something gets borked.
    If you look at the script for the vanilla source it installs the source and then patches it automagically with xfs, forcedeth and dm.
    OTOH if you're about to do a fresh install why not go with Kanotix?

Markus, when you installed the the kanotix kernel on a knoppix system, how did you configure? Did you start from scratch and do them all yourself in menuconfig or xconfig? Or did you use oldconfig, use the configuration from knoppix install?

I have been basing all but my first two compiles (where I made a bloody mess trying to configure -what 1000 things?, myself). On all the later compiles, I loaded the config.2.4.24-xfs that's from my knoppix into xconfig instead.

I am looking at kanotix page and am thinking maybe just download the iso and go for a fullblown kanotix rather than try menufig from scratch again It was my least favorite part of kernel compiling, apart from the time it took to actually compile. It's where I (and I guess anyone) is most likely to trip up.

I didn't compile anything, just installed the 2.4.24 with the script.
    I've been going at 2.6.3 and starting with oldconfig from the Kanotix kernel, but have still to get my mouse to work with it, so I'll just see how the 3.4 Knoppix works with my mouse and check if there's anything I've missed when configuring mine.

Re: help needed with lm sensors

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    I have a hard install of knoppix 3.3 debian style. I need to keep an eye on my cpu's temperature in linux (I am in linux 90% of the time now ). I have installed lm sensors and its dependencies and ran sensor-detect and followed its instructions which are:
    To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modutils/local and run update-modules:

#----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    #----cut here----[/i]

I follow those instructions exactly, I didn't have /etc/modutils/local so made one. But I am consistently getting the error "cant find modules" i2c-isa, sis5595 and it87
    In knoppix/debian this

#----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    #----cut here----

goes to /etc/modules/aliases

Kernel must be patched an then recompilled in order to support lm-sensors. Patches are in lm-sensors home page.
    I have not read all the thread, so excuseme if this was already mentioned

Regards,

Oscar, ty. It really has been encouraging the number of folks coming to my aide. As a matter of fact, during one of my MANY (can I possibly underline Many enough?) attempts at this dreaded lm-sensors thing I did do a search for aliases and stuck it in there.

At first, I went about my whole linux learning curve methodically, documenting, etc. I am now at a point where if I got the darned lm sensors working I wouldn't be able to tell them how I did it

Too tired with too many "real life" issues to have a go at anything tonight. My battle plan after making sure everything here is backed up is to hit it with everything I got this weekend. Insert those damned modules anywhere they can possibly go **ouch**. And, in the end, do a fresh install :P Get my good spare puter back into a whole puter again and sacrifice it to the lm-sensors gods until I know what I am doing.

I swear, it all boils down to I haven't a clue what I am doing here. I am missing something very basic and there are linux experts sitting out there and laughing their guts out and arses off. I will emerge victorious in the end!

(how does that sound for optimism? )

Well, I wanted to try to see if my suggestion - installing a kernel for which there were compatible, pre-compiled lm-sensor binaries - would work. And the answer is a resounding "no."

The short version: I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my hard drive, and installed kernel 2.4.25-1-k7 with "apt-get." It won't boot (with that kernel). Why? Far as I can tell, it's because the Knoppix init scripts are tied so closely to kernel 2.4.24-xfs.

(Kudos to the author(s) of the installation script! Very slick.)

Now my suggestion becomes: download and install Debian Sid, which it sounds like you are more than capable of doing.

Eco, nice to know I haven't been imagining some of the troubles I have had - something very special about Knoppix

My solution last night was to install Kanotix and Kano has a nice script that fetches the headers & source, patching etc so that programs (including lm sensors) will stop complaining when trying to compile. It isn't bad, but it isn't Knoppix and I do have the "can't use kppp except as root" problem. Am googling for various things to try. Permissions seem ok, my user self is in the dialout, dip and tty groups. Hope I have a breakthrough on it tonight.

With all my "experience" compiling & installing kernels (at least 2.4.24-xfs repeatedly, ad infinitum, ad nauseum) I too, am very very impressed with Fabian's install script, which Kanotix also uses, literally knoppix-installer. Which is why I am surprised kppp won't work for user after hd-install. I had no such problem with Knoppix at all, maybe a KDE thing, Kanotix is using 3.2 **shrug**

I might have a go sometime at "full" debian. But the dl's will be a problem. I am dialup at home. Have been dling these isos here & there at work but not being in IT anymore my dling is regarded a little suspiciously. I wouldn't dare shoot for 11 or so (by the time I got them all, there would be a new release, well with debian maybe not ). And going with a base debian and having to install over the dialup at home isn't much more appealing than my latent career in kernel compiling.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    My solution last night was to install Kanotix and Kano has a nice script that fetches the headers & source, patching etc so that programs (including lm sensors) will stop complaining when trying to compile. It isn't bad, but it isn't Knoppix and I do have the "can't use kppp except as root" problem.
    Ah! Does that mean you have lm sensors running?

BTW I'm not sure what you mean by "It(Kanotix) isn't bad, but it isn't Knoppix." It is a modified Knoppix!

RE:Kppp problem - I don't use kppp (removed it from my system) so I can't help you with it. But if you post your question as a new thread, someone will notice it and help.

Good Luck

rob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast