Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: help needed with lm sensors

Senior Member registered user
    Well, maybe you don't want to install Debian. I just downloaded 3 CD's of Debian Sarge (testing) only to find out that its installer isn't all there. (Sid is also that way.) You get past the basics - language and keyboard selection - and then you're summarily dumped to an "ash" shell.

Apparently I was just supposed to know, somehow, to download the (separate) beta installer CD image and use that. D'oh! What other major distro puts out CD images without prominently telling you somewhere (big bold letters, in red, flashing) that the installer doesn't work?

So I installed Woody (stable) and am still trying to upgrade it to testing and get it all working.

So, Knoppix on the hard disk has its pros and cons. The biggest thing against it is that it's difficult to upgrade its "plumbing" (kernel + modules) because all the init scripts are tied to kernel 2.4.24-xfs. The biggest thing for it is its ease of installation.

I might have a go sometime at "full" debian. But the dl's will be a problem. I am dialup at home. Have been dling these isos here & there at work but not being in IT anymore my dling is regarded a little suspiciously. I wouldn't dare shoot for 11 or so (by the time I got them all, there would be a new release, well with debian maybe not icon. And going with a base debian and having to install over the dialup at home isn't much more appealing than my latent career in kernel compiling.
    Ugh, upgrading is slow even with a broadband connection. Grabbing and burning CDs is no big deal for me, though, so if you want to pay for postage, I can burn you whatever you want.

Rob, meant nothing disparaging about Kanotix, was more a compliment to Knoppix, which now holds a nostalgic appeal for me that I will never lose. It is a maternal thing, maybe, I dunno Bringing up all those kernels.

On kanotix I fixed up the kppp problem by removing noauth - starting kppp from terminal I could see I was erroring out and pppd dying because noauth could only be used by root (it worked fine in knoppix, older KDE though). Oddly, now I can use noauth - something in one of Kano's scripts I ran later must have fixed what was originally wasn't right.

ALSA has defeated me here as well. Have the "user volume isn't stored, or is it not restored? after next login" problem. Ready to take alsa on a long walk off a short pier. Worked on that into 2am and it finally let out some smoke-alarm noise that I am sure woke the neighbors - stopped after a reboot and of course I am back to user's master muted again aaaaaaaaargh. Yes, have run Kano's alsa fix script repeatedly but the settings are lost again next login. I hatez alsa and unlike lm-sensors, I don't need it. Was quite adequately served by OSS. Debating whether to try and rip it out or do a new install without it.

Back on topic, lm-sensors, you ask? Nope. i2c was installing quite nicely then ended with error 127, bison missing with a possibly broken pipe. You don't want to know your bison isn't there at 3am, trust me. I trudged on anyhow through to lm-sensors to see what there might be down the road. And I can actually load the modules this time - modprobe will get them going, they are found and will load. I just need to get bison tonight and maybe I can get the whole shebang in there and working.

Eco, thanks for the CD burning offer. May take you up on it sometime. Or maybe I should try out the man community 10 I have here this weekend. Should check the pkg list and see if it had lm sensors in there. I know the 2.6 kernel does have the newer i2c and only needs lm sensors.

Nish - off to work on 2.5 hrs sleep

Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    So, Knoppix on the hard disk has its pros and cons. The biggest thing against it is that it's difficult to upgrade its "plumbing" (kernel + modules) because all the init scripts are tied to kernel 2.4.24-xfs. The biggest thing for it is its ease of installation.
    I just installed debians kernel-image-2.6.5-1-686 and am running it now. I replaced the sysvinit with the howto here: http://s95018669.onlinehome.us/knoppix/sysvinit.shtml
    The current sysvinit on unstable is 2.85-15. Also I had to use initrd for the kernel in lilo.
    I'll probably have a go at lm-sensors for it later, had enough for one day

I AM SENSORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry, almost. I apt getted bison, so the i2c and lm sensor installs went without incident for the first time ever . I have reached a point where it tells me what modules will need to be loaded and to try them out manually. YES, it works when I modprobe the appropiate ones, grellkm sees my sensors (this is an ecs mobo so they are screwed, but they are in MBM in doze too so I know what I am dealing with) however....
    where it wants me to load the modules from on every boot, doesn't seem to exist, this is it, I quote
    To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:
    # I2C adapter drivers
    modprobe i2c-sis645
    modprobe i2c-isa
    # I2C chip drivers
    modprobe eeprom
    modprobe sis5595
    modprobe it87
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended

"some" /etc/rc* file" aaaaaaaaaargh there is no rc anything FILE under etc. I have several folders such as RC0.d thru RC6.d that contain individual shell scripts and even an RCS.d with scripts. Anybody got any ideas? I am so close I can taste it. I have seen the promised land. Hell, if I had to I could load them manually when I wanted to take a peek, better than booting back to windows or rebooting into even BIOS to see the temps. But I know I am close. Please help.

the place is rcS.d or obsolete but works is to create rc.boot folder and put an script there.
    or re-read markus answer with the solution, 2nd page in this thread...
    I have same mother brand, same chipset, and i2c-sis645 was not supported with new kernel 2.6 a few weeks ago...but now I will tray again...

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    [i]To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:
    # I2C adapter drivers
    modprobe i2c-sis645
    modprobe i2c-isa
    # I2C chip drivers
    modprobe eeprom
    modprobe sis5595
    modprobe it87
    Put just the module names in the file /etc/modules each on a line by itself and they will be loaded automatically on boot.
    Code:
    >$ cat /etc/modules
    [snip ...]
    # Added by me for sensors
    # I2C adapter drivers
    i2c-isa
    # I2C chip drivers
    via686a
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended
    Not needed.

"some" /etc/rc* file" aaaaaaaaaargh there is no rc anything FILE under etc. I have several folders such as RC0.d thru RC6.d that contain individual shell scripts and even an RCS.d with scripts. Anybody got any ideas? I am so close I can taste it. I have seen the promised land. Hell, if I had to I could load them manually when I wanted to take a peek, better than booting back to windows or rebooting into even BIOS to see the temps. But I know I am close. Please help.
    And you should be putting in either the /etc/modutils/aliases or create the file /etc/modutils/local this line then run update-modules to enter the information in the /etc/modules.conf then reboot.

Code:
    >$ cat /etc/modutils/local
    # Added by me for sensors
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
    Those instructions just like almost all others you find are written for a Redhat type system.

Thanks a bunch, Stephen. Unless instructions say "On redhat...." or it was from an rpm, I assume they are pretty generic where linux is concerned. I am going to try this out right now

BTW, the sleep reference, under what conditions would that be needed?

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    Thanks a bunch, Stephen. Unless instructions say "On redhat...." or it was from an rpm, I assume they are pretty generic where linux is concerned. I am going to try this out right now

BTW, the sleep reference, under what conditions would that be needed?
    You can pretty much assume when they are talking even in generic terms most times they are talking Redhat/rpm based distro unless they are talking about using a command. The sensors -s reference AFAICT is never needed it has worked here for months without it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234