Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATMEL based wireless cards

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by patmad
    Thanks for replying!
    I already thought this could be the problem, so I downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs and put it in /usr/src/
    Then I edited .config and pointed the KERNEL_SRC to this map.
    But when I do make install it still shows

Build all (y/n) : n
    Kernel Version Running 2.4.20-xfs
    Found Kernel Source Directory ()
    When I've compiled the Atmel sources for Red Hat and Mandrake, I found that both of those distributions' kernel sources came with a .config file ready for use, and that file should reside in the top-level of the kernel sources directory, eg. /usr/src/linux. There may also be a config-2.4.20-xfs-ARCH (or some similarly named) file in a directory inside /usr/src/linux, too, and (by convention) in /boot.

Having said all this, it does surprise me a bit that it can't find your kernel sources, but then looking at the setup.sh script, I'm surprised it finds mine. Still, what you could try is this:

Code:
    KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux make config
    This should send the environment variable into the script.

and later on I still can see some errors during make all that some file or folder is nowhere to be found.......
    If it can't find the sources properly, it'll complain a lot about nothing that is really helpful.

How can I make these sources to be recognized? Do I have to compile the kernel?
    I doubt it. It may be the case that you need to do some of the first steps of compiling the kernel before the headers are found - the RPMs for Red Hat (and possibly Mandrake) may already have some of that work done. Look at the kernel README file and search for "make dep" - I think that might be of interest, but only if the trickery with telling the script about your kernel doesn't work. Personally, I don't believe you should really need to go that far with a recent kernel - earlier kernels had showstopper bugs which prevented the Atmel cards working properly... apparently.

Thanks for helping me making this card work properly!!!
    We're not there yet! Just wait until you have to configure the thing.

it WORKS!!!!!!
    After copying the kernel-sourcefiles to the map /usr/src/linux I installed the card again, and after unplugging and plugging it it worked...!

Thank you very much for helpingme!

Now I'll try to configure it .....

After copying the kernel-sourcefiles to the map /usr/src/linux I installed the card again, and after unplugging and plugging it it worked...!

Thank you very much for helpingme!

Now I'll try to configure it .....
    Congratulations and good luck! You may only be half way there.

Actually, you should take a look at the USB device overview for some more details: http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1771

You may or may not need to use uhci instead of usb-uhci - I couldn't see it making a big difference on an updated Red Hat distribution.

Also, I heard from someone who had had more success with the competing Atmel driver found here: http://at76c503a.berlios.de

Now if only either of those drivers came with Knoppix...

AMTEL Drivers

If it helps to bolster support...I too dream of amtel based drivers in the next version of Knoppix. I have a Dabs-branded wireless PCMCIA card that I believe has the AMTEL chipset in a Dell Latitude laptop. Everything else works beautifully.

Re: AMTEL Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by troyski
    If it helps to bolster support...I too dream of amtel based drivers in the next version of Knoppix. I have a Dabs-branded wireless PCMCIA card that I believe has the AMTEL chipset in a Dell Latitude laptop. Everything else works beautifully.
    It has occurred to me that a roll-your-own live CD, like the bootable business card (http://www.lnx-bbc.org) may make it easier to incorporate such additional drivers. However, it could be easier for such short-term modifications just to remaster the Knoppix image and slip them in somewhere.

It has occurred to me that a roll-your-own live CD, like the bootable business card (http://www.lnx-bbc.org) may make it easier to incorporate such additional drivers. However, it could be easier for such short-term modifications just to remaster the Knoppix image and slip them in somewhere.
    Problem for installing the atmeldrivers is the fact that you need to have the kernel-source files (in my case about 130 mb). I think you need to implement them in the remastered Knoppix, but I haven't tried as my Debian works fine for me.

The only thing I couldn't get working is the monitoring mode (Airsnort), but it seems like it is not possible with the drivers.

Problem for installing the atmeldrivers is the fact that you need to have the kernel-source files (in my case about 130 mb). I think you need to implement them in the remastered Knoppix, but I haven't tried as my Debian works fine for me.
    Well, I've been trying to get both Atmel drivers working under an installed-to-disk Knoppix system and they appear to lock the system solid. Any suggestions? Could there be issues with the 2.4.20-xfs kernel or the default USB subsystem employed in Knoppix? Which kernel did you end up using?

I'm using a PCMCIA-card, not an USB device. During installing it, the first problem was that I did not have the kernel-source files installed in the right map (should be /usr/src) and I also didn't put the atmeldrivers in the right map (should also be in /usr/src)... after that it worked immediately (of course I didn't install the USB drivers so I have no experience in making USB-devices work)

Using Google you can find serveral instructions how to install an ATMEL-based USB wireless device.

By the way: kernel 2.4.20-xfs

succes!

I'm using a PCMCIA-card, not an USB device. During installing it, the first problem was that I did not have the kernel-source files installed in the right map (should be /usr/src) and I also didn't put the atmeldrivers in the right map (should also be in /usr/src)... after that it worked immediately (of course I didn't install the USB drivers so I have no experience in making USB-devices work)
    After giving advice on how to get the build process to find the kernel sources, I ended up needing to fight the build process myself.

Using Google you can find serveral instructions how to install an ATMEL-based USB wireless device.
    Yes, but I just wondered if you had any issues with the kernel. There are supposedly various issues with the different Atmel drivers and SMP-related patches, for example, and I wondered if this could be the cause of the experienced lock-ups.

By the way: kernel 2.4.20-xfs

succes!
    Well done! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by pboddie
    Yes, but I just wondered if you had any issues with the kernel. There are supposedly various issues with the different Atmel drivers and SMP-related patches, for example, and I wondered if this could be the cause of the experienced lock-ups.
    It would seem that the at76c503a driver (http://at76c503a.berlios.de) works, but you need a version later than 0.9 in order to get around this lock-up issue. See this posting:

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/at...ay/000140.html

Currently, I recommend downloading a "cvs nightly tarball" (http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/at76c503a) or another recent snapshot of the code.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast