Thread: File download | "Disk is full" error

File download | "Disk is full" error

I want to download an .iso file which is rather big.
    I made the HD writable and tried many times to save the file [in order to burn a CD later] but it always stops as it reaches about 94M and says the disk is full.
    The disk is not full, though.
    Maybe this has something to do with the ramdisk, but I do not understand properly.
    How will I manage to download my debian file?
    Thank you
    Luigi

Actually, the file I wanted to download is Libranet, the best Debian Gnu/Linux, which installs about as smooth as knoppix does, and is 100% Debian. You can find it at www.libranet.com/
    Also, people from Libranet are quite helpful: as nobody answered here, I emailed them my problem, and here is the answer:

"It's possible that whatever web browser you are using in Knoppix is
    saving the file to a temporary file before transfering it to your final
    destination. You may be able to get around this by right-clicking on
    the ISO download link and choosing "Save Link" or "Download Link" (the
    exact wording will depend on what browser you are using). You could
    also try using an FTP client to download the files."

It *did* work, and I went to bed with a full Debian install.

Senior Member registered user
    Kirpi,

First, in support of Knoppix.Net - this is a "volunteer" supported forum, people help others because they WANT to, not sure if the support you got from Libranet was "volunteer" or not, but here, people post issues, and other people (who might be able to help) try and help them...

Second, from your isitial post, considering you just state "my drive was not full", and not exactly any perticulars on your drive, like capacity, free, or used space, nor things like "how much memory do you have?" stuff - the post was kinda vague to reply to... My assumption was that you really DID run up to a "Disk Full", and when the download died, the temp space was freed up so you didn't see that the drive really was full...

Third, I might have replied to your initial post, if it wasn't that I have been helping other people out, working a graveyard shift (other job), and "somehow" didn't find any time to even read any new posts lately... (not that I am a big Guru here, I try to help as many people as I can, but, as one persons issues "can" take a lot more time from someone...)

Fourth, as I always thought, and you seemed to get the jest of it, sometimes, the best help for some people, is not helping them -=- they tend to find answers to the issues on there own, and then, these people are even more "empowered" with the knowledge, and skills, that they found there own answers...

Lastly, as you might guess, since this forum is "staffed", if you can call it that, with volunteers, sometimes you post a issue, and no one else has ever had the issue come up - would you want me, someone who never got that specific error message, to "give you advice" on something I don't know about??? Heck, if you had a hard drive installation of Knoppix, and been running it for, say, ten years now -=- then got this error message -=- me, never having that specific error, and wanting to help you, could be doing you more damage, than good... Like, I could have suggested re-installing Knoppix to correct your error - true, it "might" fix your error, but at a severely dangerous cost to you, and your installation, right????

Don't get down on anyone here, because you didn't get a response in a week, sometimes, some of the people here, try and assist people by actually creating the "same" situation on there own systems, and trying to repeat the same issue, and then working out, on there own system, a way to resolve the issue - not sure if anyone here was doing this, or not, but, they could have been...

One final thing -=- Fantastic Kirpi, for not only finding out the resolve to the issue, but also, for finding it out on your own, and lastly, for replying to your original post with your resolve - I am sure that if "someone" else has the same situation, and error, they may be able to gain insight from your resolution as well

Cuddles

> ...this is a "volunteer" supported forum,
    > people help others because they WANT to,
    > not sure if the support you got from Libranet
    > was "volunteer" or not, but here, people post issues,
    > and other people (who might be able to help)
    > try and help them...

Yes, you are right: here is why I posted not only the problem but the solution also, as soon as I got it. Other people, in the future, might take benefit from it. At least I hope so.
    The support I got from Libranet was maybe not "volunteer" (although I did not pay for it in any way), but it was kind, prompt and effective. They were not forced to reply: they did, and thus gained a good mark :-)
    Not only Libranet works fine and can be downloaded for free, but the guys are kind (just compare with Microsoft ;-)

> ...from your initial post, considering you just
    > state "my drive was not full", and not exactly
    > any perticulars on your drive, like capacity, free,
    > or used space, nor things like "how much memory do
    > you have?" stuff - the post was kinda vague to reply to...
    > My assumption was that you really DID run up to a "Disk Full",
    > and when the download died, the temp space was freed up
    > so you didn't see that the drive really was full...

Once again you are right: I am not too technical, and always forget to put down all these measures. Often, actually, I do not even know where to find them.
    Anyway, I will read this page once more, and sure I will learn something: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> I might have replied to your initial post, if it wasn't
    > that I have been helping other people out, working a graveyard
    > shift (other job), and "somehow" didn't find any time to
    > even read any new posts lately... (not that I am a big Guru here,
    > I try to help as many people as I can, but, as one persons
    > issues "can" take a lot more time from someone...)

I undestand you: since when I had the baby [http://pamir.clarence.com/archive/026329.html] I do not have any time left even for the most basic need.

> ...sometimes, the best help for some people, is not helping
    > them -=- they tend to find answers to the issues on there own,
    > and then, these people are even more "empowered" with the knowledge,
    > and skills, that they found there own answers...

I might agree with you, but only to a certain degree: I could not find the soluton myself, without any hint.
    Also: computers are quite complicated, and I cannot spend three months just to install the base system. I need to use a computer, the same way you use a plane or a train, or an elevator: I'm not so eager to study mechanical engineering just to drive a car.
    Also, as said above, there is not any spare time left :-(

> Don't get down on anyone here, because you didn't get
    > a response in a week, sometimes, some of the people here,
    > try and assist people by actually creating the "same"
    > situation on there own systems, and trying to repeat the
    > same issue, and then working out, on there own system,
    > a way to resolve the issue - not sure if anyone here was
    > doing this, or not, but, they could have been...

Please do not misunderstand me: I just got the answer from Libranet and immediately made it available to you all. I just wanted to do something good.
    It is well possible, though, that my poor, croocked English let me say something which was not properly what I meant. Please forgive me: I'm italian, and learned your language by reading "The Lord of the Rings", singing songs from the Beatles, and the like. English is to me just like Linux: I use it, but do not feel easy with it: please allow for errors and wrong expessions.
    Thank you for your kind attitude.
    Luigi

Senior Member registered user
    for me giving suport is mostly asking questions to find things out, and if i understand what is wrong (or think i do) i try to help as best i can.
    i would most likely have given the tip on the temporary file from stat though, i have had that happen to me a few times.