Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Knoppix 3.4 is delayed again ...

Senior Member registered user

Why Knoppix 3.4 is delayed again ...

Hi,

I'm just back from vacation and want to inform you, why Knoppix is not out already:

1. We are over with 65 MB (KDE 3.2.1 is big!). So we need to delete some stuff, but what? (Proposals can be written based on last edition of 3.3 as programs almost remain the same, but get bigger ... :-/ )

2. The Debian-Menu is integrated into the K-Menu as an Submenu, which is not very nice. for KDE 3.1 we had an script to automatically integrate the "Debian-Programs" into the KDE K-Menu.

Klaus already asked on debian-knoppix mailinglist:

http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...il/004953.html

But no one did answer. I'll try to make it work, but any help is appreciated.

3. You surely want to have the newest Kernel 2.6.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.1?

cu

Fabian

PS: Thats what _I_ know a the moment ...

Member registered user

Re: Why Knoppix 3.4 is delayed again ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    You surely want to have the newest Kernel 2.6.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.1?
    Yep, what about removing Koffice (Kword, Kexcel ...)? Since OO gives you much more options, what is the point to keep them both?
    I vote for removing Koffice!

aleu[/quote]

Thanks, Fabian. I've never anticipated a Knoppix release so much as this.

As for item #3, absolutely - must have new kernel and OOffice.

As for the other issues, it's time to go to DVD. It really is. It's overdue. The old excuse about the affordability of DVD burners just doesn't hold water anymore - they can be had for under $70 now in multiple formats. So many people have been asking for it, and the only dissenting voice I've heard is Klaus's. They are way cheaper now than CD burners were when Knoppix was launched. Besides, you can buy a preburned DVD and DVD player for less than it costs to ship them. And, if anyone really wants a CD - hey, leave version 3.3 on the mirrors indefinitely - it's great for that purpose.

OK, everyone start chanting with me so that Klaus himself can hear us . . . .

WE WANT DVD!!!!
    WE WANT DVD!!!!
    WE WANT DVD!!!!
    WE WANT DVD!!!!

Keep the CD please

The CD format is very handy for virus scanning/recovery work on unknown PCs. Every PC has a CD reader, but not always a DVD reader, Knoppix has saved my day too many times on CD...

If you have a CD you can always do a HD install and apt-get any apps you need... I am also in favour of kicking out KOffice, but please keep kstars... I really use it to plot the night sky in our observatory here...

See you on the bitstream, Alain

my vote is to remove koffice and add dvd+rw-tool, http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ .
    perhaps remove a few windowmanagers? twm, iceswm and kde should suffice for most things (i know i know, the others will be missed by me aswell).
    oh, and KEEP THE CD FORMAT. i have a dvdburner but...

Junior Member registered user
    I would change Mozilla for another lighter browser.

Another way to save space would be to make 2 or 3 different versions depending on the supported languages. For example: If you dowload the english version, you don't need all the german stuff (otherwise you would have downloaded the german version).

I propose:
    1 version with: English, German, French, Spanish ...
    another one with: Japaneese, Turkish, .....
    another one with: ...., ...., .....

Regards.

Víctor.

Quote Originally Posted by valonso
    Another way to save space would be to make 2 or 3 different versions depending on the supported languages. For example: If you dowload the english version, you don't need all the german stuff (otherwise you would have downloaded the german version).
    I guess maintaining several localised versions would mean a lot of extra work with every release, to prepare the CD's, upload them, take their MD5... But maybe it could be possible to adopt something like morphix's on-the-fly deb installation? If only in a limited way, namely for the KDE big i18n packages. With a base version supporting DE+EN, and such a mechanism clearly documented, it could be up to the national LUGs to prepare and provide localised builds...

Oh, and please stick to the CD format unless the aim is to turn knoppix into a geek toy instead of a broadly usable demo and rescue system. Also keep Mozilla (composer is useful, mail spam protection is decent out of the box), possibly providing a few additional themes to refresh its looks (eg orbit3+1, pinball). If at all possible, retain KOffice, if only to provide its developers with more feedback (plus, think of this: what happens when Sun can't afford to support OOo anymore?)

Junior Member registered user

IMHO

Hello team,
    Fabian, thank you for posting this!

In my humble opinion, CD should remain the common format just a while longer. Perhaps the 800MB high capacity CDs but still - CD. DVDs don't even have a single standard yet, whereas few if any PCs have no CD-ROM.

1. KOffice should deffinetely be out to save some space
    Perhaps some of the EDUTAINMENT & GAME items should also go?

2. I cannot comment on something I don't quite understand

3. Newest kernel + latest OOo - now that would be just superb. As long as it is feasible, of course.

Good luck team,
    Smith

Member registered user
    Fabian,

You just don't know how many people i've shown Knoppix to (and handed out cds for them to try out), Knoppix has certainly done an extraordinary amount to promote linux amongst those that were under the impression that the only alternative to windows is the mac.

You guys have done a fabulous job, and, like everybody on this forum, I'm eagerly awaiting the v3.4

What to leave out? Well, the suggestions made so far are very fair, basically whether we need two Office suites.

Duplication in languages is also probably not necessary (what? you mean that not everyone understands german?

And a dvd format or possibly a 2CD format could also be a solution (using a poor man's HD install).

Many thanks once again...

I vote 4 new kernel and openoffice too. Koffice removed and all the games because who play with those games?? A precompiled driver for nvidia cards would be a good idea.
    And... since 3.3 i cant tuned my tv-card (bt84 using the same configuration
    Thanks 4 all !

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast