View Poll Results: Is this Procudure working or not ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

1 8.33%
  • I havent tried yet !

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boot

Member registered user
    I have tried what it says in the faq about this

1.5 Run Microsoft Windows 98 or 95, copy Knoppix to HD & boot with loadlin
    Open ISO with [WinImage] Extract extract the directory ISO:\KNOPPIX\ to C:\ (The C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file should be 700MB)
    Open the C:\KNOPPIX\boot.img with WinImage and extract vmlinuz and miniroot.img to C:\KNOPPIX\Loadlin (you will need to create this directory)
    Download loadling 1.6c or later to C:\KNOPPIX}\Loadlin\ (remmember to extract it)
    now reboot to DOS, you can do this by pressing F8 while rebooting the computer.
    Change directory to the loadlin dir: "CD KNOPPIX\loadlin"
    Execute loadlin "loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 lang=en ro"
    Now Knoppix should boot..

But i couldnt get this to work, it uncompresses it shows alot of stuff going on the drops out saying kernel pani: no init found try passing init= option to kernel.... but nothing else happens...

so please make available the autoboot again. cheers

Member registered user
    I found the problem it is the last line in the how to.

Ahahahah I found the cure... there is something wrong in the how to...

1.5 Run Microsoft Windows 98 or 95, copy Knoppix to HD & boot with loadlin
    Open ISO with [WinImage] Extract extract the directory ISO:\KNOPPIX\ to C:\ (The C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file should be 700MB)
    Open the C:\KNOPPIX\boot.img with WinImage and extract vmlinuz and miniroot.img to C:\KNOPPIX\Loadlin (you will need to create this directory)
    Download loadling 1.6c or later to C:\KNOPPIX}\Loadlin\ (remmember to extract it)
    now reboot to DOS, you can do this by pressing F8 while rebooting the computer.
    Change directory to the loadlin dir: "CD KNOPPIX\loadlin"
    Execute loadlin "loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 lang=en ro"

the last line is wrong it should be

loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 initrd=miniroot.gz lang=en ro

booted up first time

Member registered user
    Yes!!!!! This works!!

I have a new board with win 2000. So no way to do this. Then, I install win 98 2 ed to try to use the loadlin option, but my baord doesn't accept this SO. SO, I boot with the win 98 boot disk, format c: /s (format and system to the HD). Boot with Knoppix, copy the cd and loadlin to the specified directory and Voila, everithing works fine.

So, my plan is configure the mega live cd machine. In the fact32 with dos, copy my 3 or 4 favorite LiveCDs (Knoppix, Technomancer, Dynobolix, LiveZope, Pollix, flonix) and with four or five .bat commands, go!!!. And I will install win 2000 (I need IIS and SQL Server, sorry)

It works, but whats the point? I mean, if you are willing to put knoppix on your hard drive, you obviously must use it often. So, that begs the question, if you use knoppix often, why limit your installation? The poor mans install doesnt allow installing additional software (I think). If you are going to commit some HD space for a permanent install of knoppix, why not just install it the right way? The benifits of a full install greatly exceed the inconvenience of partitioning.

Senior Member registered user
    KidClueless,

I can see your understanding, and reasoning, and I, for one, did hard drive (full) install...

But, I think the reason for the "poor man's installation", is for those who don't have the ability to boot from a CD-ROM device. Laptops come to mind, they may have a PCMCIA card slot instead, and a CD-ROM on one of those ports, may not be bootable. Hence, the need to "try out" Knoppix as most of us have, through the use of the Live "CD" is not an option for them.

Windows was the "only" OS I ever "installed" w/o "looking" at it first, a serious defect from the manufacturer, I think. The whole "Windows" issue, that I feel, is that most just "install" Windows because they have to, or that "program X" needs to run on Windows version "Y", so they either install it, or upgrade to it, without ever thinking about it.

Knoppix allows you to "use it", before you "commit" to it, through the use of the Live CD, but only if you can boot that CD - I think the naming of this is incorrect, or its "point of view" is being taken wrong...

The Poor Man's Install is not a "full" install on the hard drive, it IS a install of the CD image to the hard drive though, and thus, I think, is why is it named the way it is.

Knoppix has the "best" idea for a OS, that I have ever seen - use it, boot it, run it, learn on it, and see if "everything" on your system is supported, runs, etc... BEFORE you install it. Find out all the issues of specific hardware, what software it comes with, and lastly, for those coming from the Windows World, does Linux/GNU provide me with what I get with my "current" OS, before ever doing anything to "possibly" corrupt my "working" OS.

I ran the Live CD for about two weeks, before I "commited" to a full install, and even went to the point of "scrubbing" the whole system beforehand. I completely erased my system of its "previous" OS, and then installed Knoppix. But, the Live CD was needed for that, not just for the installation of the OS, but also for the "configurations". I couldn't get ALSA running, using the compiled source, for the life of me - what I ended up doing was to boot the Live CD with the ALSA cheatcodes, and then installing. I ended up getting ALSA preconfigured, compiled, and working, without having to do a thing - because the Live CD "carried over" my boot configurations into my hard drive installation.

I can't imagine a system w/o a CD-ROM drive, especially one that can't be booted from, but those systems do exist. If you are a "long-time" computer person, just try and find a computer system that has a 3 1/2 inch floppy device now-a-days? Or, for that matter, a 5 1/4 inch floppy, and going back to the "real" olden days, a 8 inch floppy drive?

Used to be, Windows driver disks came on 5 1/4 inch floppies, then 3 1/2 inch floppies, and now, CD-ROM -=- manufacturers realized that not many people had the need for the media they shipped on, and so, changed to the "current" media people were using. I think the worse thing any OS can do is to rely on the web, or internet, for downloading drivers and support...

I had a person, trying to install Windows, that needed to download drivers for there modem. Someone in that company really didn't think very well about what they were doing. How can you install drivers for you modem when you can't use the modem? Luckily, I had a backup system, was able to do the download for them, and then transfer the driver installation to there system to get them going. I wouldn't want to put someone through that, alone, and Knoppix, doesn't. In using the Live CD, a person can find out what works, what doesn't, and what needs to be replaced, before the installation and "full" commit is made. (if it is made)

Oh well, just my thoughts,
    Cuddles

Junior Member registered user

Why you would prefer "poor mans" to a full install

There are many situations were poor mans could be considered preferable to a full install. One example is if you're on the road frequently and using other people's PCs. Using poor man's and a persistent desktop partition you can have a whole customized system setup on someone elses computer in minutes and completely delete it when you're done.

If you're administering a network of lightweight clients this can also be an interesting approach.

But for all my cheerleading, I haven't actually gotten the smoothest results from the persistent desktop script. Let's do a poll on that one.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by kidclueless
    It works, but whats the point? I mean, if you are willing to put knoppix on your hard drive, you obviously must use it often. So, that begs the question, if you use knoppix often, why limit your installation? The poor mans install doesnt allow installing additional software (I think). If you are going to commit some HD space for a permanent install of knoppix, why not just install it the right way? The benifits of a full install greatly exceed the inconvenience of partitioning.
    Well. I have some reasons .

1st. This machine is an old laptop (compaq M300) without floppy. And the CDRom is in the expansion docking station. So, I prefer to carry only my laptop.

2d. The installed knoppix isn't the same that the live cd version. There are some small differences (hardware autodetection, network). So I prefer the behavior of the CD. I know, I can fix this things tweaking some configuration files... but, If the CD behavior is fine for me, why install and try the installed version look like the live cd?

3rd. You can't damage your installation. If something goes wrong, reboot and go..

4th.Instead to install my preferedd packages I'm having more and more easier get a Live CD with the applications that I need: Programming Pollix, Web development Live Zope, an small text Feather Linux, Navigate: Knoppix with an lightweight desktop

5th.The fun to do this. I really love tweaking with my pcs. So, it's more like the desire to do this for fun, without a practical application in mind. Maybe some day it proves to be usefull.

Member registered user
    you can use ANY partition with the FAT filesystem to copy your KNOPPIX files to.
    The trick then is to get the bootable part (kernel, initrd).
    *the bootable cdrom + FROMHD should work
    *loadlin should work
    *if FAT16 partition, SYSLINUX should work
    *Knoppix bootdisk should work, again, with same FROMHD cheatcode.

we're moving to kernel 2.6,
    but IMHO Knoppix should offer a "poor man's install" by copying the KNOPPIX file(directory?) to a selected FAT harddisk partition,
    then add a line to syslinux.cfg which automatically points
    to the already selected location.

Heh,.. wow,. I hadnt thought of it in terms of 'not having a cdrom drive' or 'installing it on somebody elses computer'. I suppose those are good reasons. however, If you can install knoppix the right way,. I would strongly suggest that you do! There are so many apps out there for linux, and you shouldnt limit yourself to the ones included on the knoppix cd (however good they are).

How can you install drivers for you modem when you can't use the modem?
    LOL! that same thing happened to me while installing windows. Good thing I had my knoppix cd. ;o)

Senior Member registered user
    KidClueless,

I agree with the install, why live with the limitations, when you can hard drive install, and have none....

But, from what I saw, all of this comes down to "personal freedom", something "almost completely" lacking within the Windows World. I have not heard, nor seen, a "LIVE" version of any M$ OS, and having a Knoppix, or for that matter, any, Live CD OS, can be quite powerfull in someones arsenal.

I have dealt with M$ OS's for many years, as well as some of the "competitions" that have come and gone: DOS from 1.12 to 6, Os/2 1.2, 1.3, and Warp, DeskViewX, Windows 3.x, 95, and 98... just to name a few - not one of them, except for Win3.x (it wasn't really an OS in the first place), provided a "Live" ability, you had to install them to try them. If you didn't like them, you gutted your system, and restored your previous.

Knoppix, as well as any of the (other) "Live" operating systems, are on "new ground" here. I don't think it is up to "any" of us to determine "why" anyone would use the Live version instead of installing, or for that matter, why anyone chose to use any version of Windows - it could simply be a "personal choice", or something else.

I, myself, read this thread, and was thinking: "why continue to use the cd-rom, when you can have everything by installing it?" - but thats me - I had to think about everyone I know, all the possibilities and uses of an OS, which can be mind-boggling, to see, it is a personal thing.

KidClueless, did you ever run more than one version of Windows? What made you change from your previous Windows version to the next? For me, I ran (many) versions, mostly changing versions to see if "something" got better than the previous version, or in the case of going from Windows 95 to Windows 98, most of the software was "forcing" me to "upgrade".... When you consider the choices of OS's out in the world, and all the versions, everyone has different reasons why they run what they run.

I think "we" need to realize that people use there computers differently, and in different situations. Consider all the choices in video cards, sound cards, hard drives, etc... Why do I have a NVidia and someone else has a ATI? Why do I have a 80 gig hard drive, and someone else might have a 120 gig? I think it depends on what you are doing with your system, and what you need to do requires for you to do it.

Whenever I post something, either as a question, or as a response to someone elses question, I constantly "step back" and look at the complete picture. Examine the "why", and try to resolve the question that way. Sometimes, I miss the mark, other times, I might "out guess" the next question, and still other times, I get it right. In all the years of working on computers, and of those years, more than a year working as a CSR for M$ in the Win98 phone support, I came to realize, you can't always know "why" someone wants to do what they do, the way they want to do it.

PC's are just that, "Personal" computers - when a person takes a computer "home" and uses it the way they want to use it - configures it the way they want, how they want it to look, and installs "who knows what", or "why", on it, etc... Its a personal thing.

Why would someone run Mandrake over Debian, or SuSE over RedHat, or any flavor of Linux over any version of Windows? Who knows? The individual person does, and has decided on that choice under there own factors, and reasons.

I am quite sure, if we take a poll on "why are you running 'X' instead of 'Y'?", we will find may reasons, some will match, and many will not.

Why am I running Knoppix/Debian instead of a "real" Debian install? -=- I got this question in the ALSA Mail Group -=- Why are you using Knoppix/Debian, based on "unstable/testing", when "they" say I should be using Debian "stable"? "They" actually wanted me to "explain" my reasoning to them, and when I pointed out my reasons, they just thought I "didn't have a clue." -=- Maybe, but I am using it, and I don't mind, even if "someone" is going to get down on me for my choices, they were still "my" choices.

Sometimes "we", as a family of all "flavors" of Linux, need to realize its all a "personal" thing. From the person who wants to run a "Linux" on the companies computers and the SysAdmin would "freak" if they installed Linux on one of the "companies" computers, down to the person who wants to "experiment" with Linux and not distroy what they have, to the person who sees Linux and decides "its just what I want". Personal choice.

Some of us, or I, have followed "blindly" behind M$ and installed the "newest" OS they have to offer, every time they offer a new version. Mostly because I didn't want to get "left behind" and have nothing that runs on the previous version anymore. I saw Knoppix, and saw the "berlin wall" begin to crumble, I saw years of "faithful blind following" M$ just walk out the door, and immediately "jumped on board" of the Linux bandwagon. I feel comfident of my choice, and quite happy, that "I" made the right choice. Someone else, it might not be as clear, or valid, or even an option. Thats OK, its all, what M$ used to have as there slogan: "Where do you want to go today?" - personal.

Just my thoughts,
    Cuddles
    PS -=- the soapbox is available to anyone else now [giggle]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast