View Poll Results: Is this Procudure working or not ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

1 8.33%
  • I havent tried yet !

3 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boot

Member registered user
    The poor mans install worked for me.

The extra bit the OP added to the HDhowto is just a DOS BAT file

I wrote it in notepad and just changed the .txt to .bat and saved it in c:
    my knoppix folder is on my d drive

d:
    cd knoppix
    cd loadlin
    loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 initrd=miniroot.gz lang=en ro

then i boot to dos with F8 and type knoppix which is what i called the file.

Cuddles wrote:

[quote="Cuddles"]KidClueless,

But, I think the reason for the "poor man's installation", is for those who don't have the ability to boot from a CD-ROM device. Laptops come to mind, they may have a PCMCIA card slot instead, and a CD-ROM on one of those ports, may not be bootable. Hence, the need to "try out" Knoppix as most of us have, through the use of the Live "CD" is not an option for them.

--------

My Laptop's external CD/floppy combo went dead, and I have to resort to exactly the technique shown here. This technique is a saviour.

But now I have another problem: I like the knoppix and now want to fully install it on my HD. Where should I go? What should I do?

FYI, this is my first dabble in Linux EVER, so plese be patient and clear.

Thanks

marPang

Senior Member registered user
    MarPang,

Not sure what you are saying, or asking, so, I am going to answer the two possible questions...

(1) CD-ROM is out and you want to install using the "Poor Mans Installation"
    (2) CD-ROM is just gone out, you already have the "Poor Mans Installation", and want to go with a "full blown" hard drive installation

(1) Without a CD-ROM, you want to get the CD-ROM onto either a hard drive, removable media, or even throw it into memory, so it can be booted just like the CD-ROM would be. In either case, you will need available free space on a hard drive that can contain what the CD-ROM would have had on it, I think around 710 meg - thats an over-estamate -=- If you want to use memory, I think you need somewhere around 710 meg PLUS enough memory to boot and contain the OS in memory as well - I have heard at least 1 (one) gig of memory, or more, minimum for a memory "Poor Mans Installation". If you need to get a CD-ROM transfered to a hard drive, but no longer have the option of getting to a CD-ROM device, you can either download the image from one of the mirror sites to your hard drive, or use another computer that has a active CD-ROM device and a "shared" removable media device that "once the CD-ROM is transfered to the media device, it can be connected to your laptop". Somewhere on these forums I have even heard of people doing a "network poor mans installation", where you boot your image from a network source.

(2) If you want to go with a "complete" install to your hard drive, either from a "poor mans install", or from the CD-ROM boot, you can follow the documentation found on this site, under the "Docs" above, or this one below, which I used to hard drive install Knoppix...

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Hope this helps,
    Cuddles[/url]

cheat codes

i have installed knoppix by this route (poormans and linload) but i need to use cheat codes to get knopix to work (old laptop fb800X600). How can i do this using this method of installing?

Member registered user
    The command needed to run Knoppix from HD are:

cd knoppix
    cd loadlin
    loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 initrd=miniroot.gz lang=en ro

after "miniroot.gz" and before "ro" you can put all the cheatcodes you want

Yep, my problem is case number 2: my CD-ROM just went dead (and I can't bring it back alive). So I had to use LOADLIN to boot knoppix CD image which is already on my HD.

Once I'm in Knoppix, then I did what you suggested to do a permanent install on HD, and it WORKED (though, being a newbie, it took me a couple of days to do it).

Thanks, Cuddles.

(Now I have additional confidence to try other things with Linux ...)

marPang

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    MarPang,

Not sure what you are saying, or asking, so, I am going to answer the two possible questions...

(1) CD-ROM is out and you want to install using the "Poor Mans Installation"
    (2) CD-ROM is just gone out, you already have the "Poor Mans Installation", and want to go with a "full blown" hard drive installation

(2) If you want to go with a "complete" install to your hard drive, either from a "poor mans install", or from the CD-ROM boot, you can follow the documentation found on this site, under the "Docs" above, or this one below, which I used to hard drive install Knoppix...

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Hope this helps,
    Cuddles[/url]

Junior Member registered user

Where is vmlinuz (ver 3.4)?

Hi,

This post refers to the HD boot of the compressed system - something I want to do. In the FAQ, I found the following (also referred to above):

__________________________________________________ __________

1.5 Run Microsoft Windows 98 or 95, copy Knoppix to HD & boot with loadlin
    a) Open ISO with [WinImage] Extract extract the directory ISO:\KNOPPIX\ to C:\ (The C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX file should be 700MB)

b) Open the C:\KNOPPIX\boot.img with WinImage and extract vmlinuz and miniroot.img to C:\KNOPPIX\Loadlin (you will need to create this directory)

c) Download loadling 1.6c or later to C:\KNOPPIX}\Loadlin\ (remmember to extract it)

now reboot to DOS, you can do this by pressing F8 while rebooting the computer.

Change directory to the loadlin dir: "CD KNOPPIX\loadlin"

Execute loadlin "loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 lang=en ro"

Now Knoppix should boot..
    __________________________________________________ __________

Well, I got part 'a' to work fine and I have used part 'c' onward to boot other flavours of linux from the HD.

But, although I found 2 versions of 'miniroot' (ie: 2.4 and 2.6) I can not find 'vmlinuz' - unless it is actually the files called 'linux24' and 'linux26' in the /boot/isolinux/ directory.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Geoff.

Senior Member registered user
    I've been using a different boot procedure since Knoppix 3.3 has 'tohd' & 'fromhd' cheatcodes.

Make a folder called boot on hda1 and copy vzlinuz-knoppix and miniroot-knoppix.gz into it. If this is an NTFS drive that you don't want to write to from Knoppix, first transfer the files to a floppy then copy from the floppy to the boot folder using Windows.
    Install Knoppix using the tohd cheatcode.
    Then install lilo on hda MBR but specifiy lilo use the 'fromhd' cheatcode:
    That's it.
    Excerpt from lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda1
    label="windows"
    table=/dev/hda

image=/boot/vmlinuz-knoppix
    label="knoppix"
    append="lang=en fromhd=/dev/hda1"
    initrd=/boot/miniroot-knoppix.gz
    read-only

[/b]

Junior Member registered user
    Hi,

Thanks for the hint but where do I find "vzlinuz-knoppix and miniroot-knoppix.gz " .

These files are not amongst the files that were produced by running winimage on the knoppix ISO file.

Regards,

Geoff.

ok, here is my method of using a "poor mans's" install of the latest (2004-05-17) knoppix 3.4 that allows boot either 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.
    I found you dont have extract vmlinuz to boot with loadlin.exe. try this:

1. boot from knoppix3.4 cd or extract the iso with winrar to C:\knoppix
    a. if you boot from iso use the "knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1" at boot prompt
    this should copy most of iso to your hd with 700meg knoppix file in
    the main knoppix directory (ie c:\knoppix\knoppix <--700megs)
    b.if you copy cd rom to hard drive put the 700 meg file in main knoppix
    directory (ie move 700meg knoppix file from c:\knoppix\knoppix to
    c:\knoppix)
    2. copy the entire boot directory from the cd to the hard drive so the
    linux24, linux26, minirt24.gz and minirt26.gz are all in this directory
    C:\knoppix\boot\isolinux\
    3. get a copy of loadlin.exe (search google for "loadlin" and get
    version 1.6c and put it in the boot directory (c:\knoppix\boot\isolinux)
    with the linux24,26,minirt24,26 files
    4. now boot into dos (F8 while booting win95, win9...if you have winXP
    make a dos boot floppy (ie format floppy with dos system files)
    5. cd to c:\knoppix\boot\isolinux and type the following:

loadlin.exe linux24 root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt24.gz lang=en fromhd=/dev/hda1 (and any other cheatcodes needed)
    OR
    loadlin.exe linux26 root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt26.gz lang=en fromhd=/dev/hda1 (and any other cheatcodes needed)

this worked for me but don't be shy about changing the loadlin command parameters until they work for you.

Moustache

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast