Thread: knoppix for kids mounted something incorrectly?

knoppix for kids mounted something incorrectly?

Synopsis: trying to setup a dual boot with 2 hard drives. 1 for windows, 1 for linux. linux partially installed with swap and linux partitions initialized: up until the mbr.

There were a pile of knoppix for kids cd in the schools computer lab. I was curious about linux, so I took one. At the same time I was playing around with Debian. I had a initialized swap and a ext2 linux partition, but Debian wasn't entirely installed. I wasn't sure about the last few parts of the installation, so i quit the installer. Hearing about how Knoppix doesn't touch the hardware on the system, I decided to put the Knoppix for Kids cd in to see what linux was like. The problem is that after everything autoconfigure, with all the colorful text detecting components, the screen went blank. With the screen just blank, there was not way to correct shutdown the computer. So I turned off the power switch in the back. The next time the computer booted up, the windows partition became noticeably slower. I could hear the hard drive clicking as it was searching for something. So I asked some friends, one of them heard of about knoppix for kids mounting partitions read-write instead of just read only or something? But he didn't have many more details. I think knoppix for kids mounted one or both of the partitions and didn't umount them. Searching google for similar problems yeilded nothing. I am hoping someone can help.

Senior Member registered user
    Its almost absolutely certainly nothing to do with Knoppix. After all, you didn't do anything other than run the CD which puts Knoppix in memory.

Do a cold reset and run scandisk and full defrag on Windows.

You'll amost certainly need to use one of the cheatcodes (see "Docs" above) to run Knoppix on your computer.

tried defrag

I ran windows defrag right when I noticed it took longer to load the user login. But that didn't seem to have any effect. This was on the windows partition. I can't remember if I ran scandisk, I'll try them both again. The system itself runs normally, but it's when i try to access the Recycling Bin or My Computer, that it struggles. Am I suppose to be able to see the other hard drive with linux on it, even though they aren't the same type of file system? Could I defrag the linux paritition in windows?

Am I suppose to be able to see the other hard drive with linux on it, even though they aren't the same type of file system?
    I think you can see it as a drive, but Windows can't access Linux's filesystem. (Not "made in Redmond")

Could I defrag the linux paritition in windows?
    Absolutely not! And you'll never need to. Except in truly bizzare circumstances, Linux doesn't fragment (and it has it's own tools anyway).

as long as the disk is less than 80%full it should never fragment much.
    above 85% it becomes noticeable and above 90/ it is clear, beyond 95% it is bad. there is a slidign scale here, if the disk is 10Mb that might be less, if it is 250Gb ... the files would rarely be 1% so 95%should work ok.
    it is the amount of room left to store the file in hat matters.
    if there is enough free so that the file can be written in full everything is fine.
    but if only scattered places are available and the file must be split disk starts fragmenting.

checked

I ran the windows 2000 defragmenter and it said the drives don't need to be defragmented. Most of the files were in the same vacinity, more or less.

I also tried running knoppix and knoppix for kids, this time with the cheats. One important thing I noticed was that it when I was shutting down the computer:

umount /ramdisk
    could not umount /KNOPPIX - trying /dev/cloop
    umount /dev/root

It was something similar. Any insight?

/KNOPPIX is in ram and on CD so no disaster

what else could be the problem? any other ideas?