Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

Thank-you everyone, this should give me enough to go on for a bit, If I get stuck... I will start to cry like a little kid lost in a mall.

Ok, I have tried to get the KioskAdmin tool to compile under Knoppix 3.3 with no luck I get a QT error during the ./configure.

I think I'm like the other poster in that I would live to re-master a locked down version of Knoppix, with a single website coming up after boot. I was hoping to use the admin tool, and then copy all the config files it creates to a re-master, but no luck so far..

Reading the KDE Kiosk mode doc is not much help...

Anyone else have ideas or suggestions for producing a version of Knoppix that after boot only loads a web browser with a chosen website, and stops a user from breaking out of the browser?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by poobaa
    Ok, I have tried to get the KioskAdmin tool to compile under Knoppix 3.3 with no luck I get a QT error during the ./configure.
    From kiosktool page at kde-apps.org :-
    kiosktool updated
    Version: 0.2
    System Tool
    Depend on: KDE 3.2.x
    Posted by: zogje

-----------------------------
    It compiled on my kanotix HD install using <u>Kde ver 3.2.2-1</u> without problems.........

Good luck and let us know how you go with your project.
    rob

I'll give it a shot over the weekend, and see what turns up. If i can use the KioskAdmin tool on one, and move the files to the other it will be perfect.

Well the tool compiled on kanotix, but later gives an XML error while trying to run it. I'll have a go on the Kiosktool group, and see if I can find out why.

Thanks for the tips, and help.

Keep us posted

Well I seem to have hit a wall. My lack of a deep understanding of linux, and KDE, has put this on hold for me. My time line is also rushing to an end.

Maybe a group of us can work out how to do this...

With a HD install of Knoppix, the KDE Kiosk tool will install, and run with no problems, but here is where I get stuck. I need to take/find the configuration files made by the tool, and apply them to a test user. Then get a web broswer to start for that user with a defined home page.

If I can get this to work with the HD installing, maybe I can move the changed files into a remaster, using the knoppix user. But like I said before I need to find out what to do with the Kiosk tool.

So if anyone else has some tips, or insight, please pass it on.

From all my research on the net it seems like this setup is really wanted, but no one has made a disto to fit the bill. Something where a number of questions are asked, and bang, an .iso file pops out ready to go.

Wow, after searching high and low, I was able to find a working solution, and it’s perfect. All the hard work was done by a member of the Morphix (http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/) forms “Gandalfar”. This user put together a cut down version of Morphix, which only runs Firefox (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=219127). I added the Autohide plugin (http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide.htm), changed the Firefox startup to full screen, and added the needed startup page for the kiosk.

Now, I have a CD that will boot, and only run Firefox, in full screen mode. The two tiny issues I have found so far:

1.With full screen mode you need a wheel mouse
    2.It’s not really “secure”; a user can break out of WM2, and get a command prompt. For where I am using it, this is not an issue.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

please help me

Quote Originally Posted by poobaa
    Wow, after searching high and low, I was able to find a working solution, and it’s perfect. All the hard work was done by a member of the Morphix (http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/) forms “Gandalfar”. This user put together a cut down version of Morphix, which only runs Firefox (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=219127). I added the Autohide plugin (http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide.htm), changed the Firefox startup to full screen, and added the needed startup page for the kiosk.

Now, I have a CD that will boot, and only run Firefox, in full screen mode. The two tiny issues I have found so far:

1.With full screen mode you need a wheel mouse
    2.It’s not really “secure”; a user can break out of WM2, and get a command prompt. For where I am using it, this is not an issue.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.
    i am german and i need a bootable cd like yours? i want to start a browser , only the browser . if i really have red here you hafe this cd. can you give me a link where i can download this cd? thank you very much

knoppix web browser only

I have recently just finished remastering my own knoppix that only
    runs firefox .8. I haven't had a chance yet to look at vs. .9.1.

I still have some final touchs to it, but i'll hopefully be posting it for
    download later this week.

It starts X then loads firefox, so no window managers.

I decided to call it sluppix (after the university where I work).
    I also decided that the homepage will be set to http://sluppix
    then it would be easy for someone to set virtual host and dns names that
    will resolve sluppix to your own domain. If anyone else has a better
    suggestion, let me know.
    Finally, I removed several applications, the biggest was probably KDE.
    But still the footprint is around 450MB. Sorry. that's the best I can do.
    Also, i disabled the ctrl-alt-backspace funtion and any alt-F1-F7 keys.
    so the display cannot be killed.

I'll post back to this forum when I get things uploaded to my ftp.
    I will be posting two versions. One will be a web browser with no buttons,
    the other will have a limited set of buttons.
    Please download after 6:00pm.

Brad B.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast