Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
    You can find new version in my blog
    About Stallion: I verified the CDR's MD5 and I have burned the CD in Windows using Nero and it fails to boot on 3 PCs that boot Knoppix flawlessly. I thougth that perhaps maybe it was by CDR drive, so I burned it on a different PC with cdrecord in Linux on different CDR media and it too fail to boot on my 3 PCs.
    I also have tried it on 3 different systems (An Intel XP laptop, AMD XP desktop, Epia mini-ITX), trying both the Stallion and Firecast ISO's, using 1.44 2.88 and HD Emulations (yeah, that's 18 attempts). They recognize the boot disk as a boot disk with the correct emulation, but it doesn't boot. It just hangs. I've made other ISO's that work just fine, so its gotta be the image. Perhaps it's something with the drivers that come with morphix?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by davea0511
    I also have tried it on 3 different systems (An Intel XP laptop, AMD XP desktop, Epia mini-ITX), trying both the Stallion and Firecast ISO's, using 1.44 2.88 and HD Emulations (yeah, that's 18 attempts). They recognize the boot disk as a boot disk with the correct emulation, but it doesn't boot. It just hangs. I've made other ISO's that work just fine, so its gotta be the image. Perhaps it's something with the drivers that come with morphix?
    Yup, something very strange. Something very basic in the boot image, my desktop boots the previous version fine, this version it just looks at and then goes on to boot the hard drive instead, treats the CD as if it is not bootable (but it looks bootable under iso buster once I look at it in Windows).

I initially couldn't get the stalion download to boot properly, but I noticed that the download had prematurely ended and the file size was only 50MB. It burned ok, but would only partially boot. I re-downloaded and it has worked fine on several systems. I did have to enter cheat codes for screen=1024x768 and xmodule=vesa.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarnich
    I initially couldn't get the stalion download to boot properly, but I noticed that the download had prematurely ended and the file size was only 50MB....
    Mine was full size; md5 sum also check fine. Boots OK on my notebook, does not boot on my desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarnich
    I initially couldn't get the stalion download to boot properly, but I noticed that the download had prematurely ended and the file size was only 50MB....
    Mine was full size; md5 sum also check fine. Boots OK on my notebook, does not boot on my desktop.
    I've been unable to get any of the CD's I burned last night to boot on any of the machines I've tried at work today. STRANGE. I'll have to retry them at home , tonight.

Member registered user
    Okay - I got it to work. I figured out what I was doing wrong - Warpath gave instructions how to burn the ISO if you are remastering it, and those were the instructions I was following. I wasn't remastering it though, and so I was making a bootable image of a bootable image - which will cause your computer to hang.

The procedure needs to be different if you're starting with an image that is already bootable - which is what Gandalfar was giving us. Just burn the ISO as you normally would a Data CD (not a "Bootable CD") and it will work. It worked for me.

Now... how to get it on an IDE CF card for a truly solid state system. Anyone? Also, I need to add a touch screen driver.

Quote Originally Posted by davea0511
    .... Just burn the ISO as you normally would a Data CD (not a "Bootable CD") and it will work. It worked for me.....
    Well, this is a very misleading statement. When I just burn a data CD (under Nero) I just drag the files I want to the application and burn the CD. If you do this with an ISO ile ou'll just get a CD with a single file on it - the iso. Knoppix iso's (and other ISO's) should be burnt, when working with Nero (other systems will have similar options) with the "Burn Image..." option under the file menu, as documented in the faq.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
    You can find new version in my blog
    :P
    Very well done Ghandalfar!
    I run an internet cafe in italy.
    For a year I used Knoppix, whith no hard disk, as my linux kiosk system.
    Unfortunatly Knoppix has many haking applications like Ethereal, and has dangerous settings, for example the default knoppix user can do "su".

The "Stallion" live cd is a great improvement, but it neads some modifications to be 'the perfect linux system for an internet kiosk' :
    1) No root access,
    2) A button for saving internet files to floppy disks.
    3) Printing to shared printers neaded .
    4) Passwords inside web forms should never be remebered.
    5) Other languages for firefox's buttons and dialog boxs.
    6) Gaim
    7) No killall, reboot and shutdown ability, nor ctrl-ald-del.

Anyway, thank you so much!

Great work

I'm glad to see these projects available. I'd like to offer ...
    What I use to test the ISO's before burning them to disk is
    VMWare. With VMWare you can tell it to use an ISO instead of the CD
    and then when you load the VM it will boot striaght from the ISO like
    it would from a CD. This lets you save on CDs!

I would like to see an easy way to specify the home page.
    One possibility, if you specify the url as say http://sluppix
    then you can set the DNS to point to that machine. You could create
    a virtual host with a page that has a java redirect to the site
    you want. This way anyone who uses the disk can all have the
    same homepage set, but the redirect will point them to the
    correct page. I Hope that makes sense. I got it to work.

BB

Senior Member registered user
    mataz: would disabling Ctrl+Alt+Fn solve all your security concerns?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast