View Poll Results: Did this work for you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

11 61.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: Speedtouch USb (Idiots guide, by an idiot!)

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by drb
    I have been using Kanotix in liveCD mode for about 12 months. Until Kanotix 20050-02 (2.6.11 kernel) I have had no problems with connection of my purple Speedtouch. I tried Knoppix 3.8 Cebit and ran the script in the note above without any problems . . . . but the script doesn't work in Knoppix 3.8.1. Has anyone got a purple Speedtouch 330 working overr PPPoATM in liveCD mode with Knoppix 3.8.1 (or preferably Kanotix 2005-02!). There is a report that the silver version has worked, with some difficulty, in Kanotix 2005-02.

drb
    I use a silver Speedtouch 330, and it worked fine when using the Live CD of Kanotix 2005-01. However Kanotix 2005-02 (and now 2005-03) does not support this modem when running in the Live CD version, although the drivers can be installed when running these versions of Kanotix (as well as Knoppix) from a HDD installation.

It's a mystery to me how Kano originally managed to get the Speedtouch to work in the Live CD version of Kanotix 2005-01, since he says he does not have a Speedtouch modem to test, and has in fact withdrawn support for this modem now.

http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.p...ght=speedtouch

It's also a shame that neither Knoppix nor Kanotix support this modem, which is such a popular one, in Live CD mode when the whole object of Knoppix is to provide a distro which does not depend on HDD installation.

I just thought I'd add my experiences to this Thread, as I too found the myriad of different driver instructions/projects (all very similarly named, speedtch, speedtouch, speedtouch-conf etc!.) on the net quite confusing. I've written in such a fashion that I hope someone totally new to Linux will understand:

This is my setup, and how I finally got it working:

Using a Toshiba Laptop (fairly old, 1ghz celeron), with a silver speedtouch 330 USB modem, and the latest LiveCD of Knoppix (4.0.2).

Starting in Windows, I downloaded the speedtouch-usb script from here: http://christophe.delord.free.fr/en/adsl/

Then, I copied this into a directoy on my hard drive c:\temp\speedtouch\.

Then, I rebooted and inserted the Knoppix liveCD.

Once Knoppix had loaded, I clicked the Knoppix icon at the bottom of the screen, and under Services I chose to set up a persitent home directory on the hard drive, using about 50mb of space. Once this was complete, I open Konqueror, and browsed to the temp\speedtouch directoy on my "c drive" (now called hda1). Then, I right-click in the directory display to obtain the "Actions" menu. One of the actions you can perform is to open a Terminal window here. Click this to open up the Terminal. Then type "ls" to list the directoy contents and verify that the "speedtouch-usb" file is actually there. Then, its simply a case of typing speedtouch-usb and pressing Return.

The script will then run. First it should detect your modem, and display the version of the Linux kernel that you are running. The script will then proceed until a dialog pops up prompting you to choose your VPI/VCI numbers. For the UK, this is the 0,38 option. Then click OK. The script should continue until another dialog box appears, this time asking you for a "connection identifier". Into this dialog you need to enter the username for your ISP connection. For example ABC123@xtreme3.pipex.net. Then, click OK, and another dialog will appear asking you to enter a password. Enter the password for your ISP connection. Then click OK.

Now, if all is well... the script will attempt to connect to your ISP. If it fails with a time-out message, I'd recommend running it again. If its successful, it will finish with the message "You are connected".

Then, you can close the terminal window and open up FireFox/Konqueror and start browsing!

Im not 100% sure the step of creating a persistent home directory is required, but I found without that step I seemed to get error messages about the "read-only filesystem".

I hope this helps somebody out there.

Nice one TheBoyMole - it worked immediately. I am so happy!

Just for info - I made my persistent directory 10Mb only and it works fine.

I did that because I wanted to make it in my FAT partition rather than any of the NTFS ones. The FAT partition is small because I only made it big enough to carry the small bit of windoze which needs it, so I had very little space - but 10Mb seems to be working OK.

Thanks again for making the process clear and simple.

Fatcharlie

Excuse me,I want to ask a question
    Can this howto work with Conexant AccessRunner DSL?

i am a newbie on linux.

i want to know if the procedure will also work for the HUWAEI WA1003A series modems which i use ???

PS- i have to connect using the USB port

Hello all,

I have not been lucky following this script

I tell you what I did, please tell me if I did something wrong, because I´m totally lost here:

-I extracted file speedtouchconf-27-jun-2006.tar.gz, by clicking right button and selecting extract to /home/knoppix/

-then extracted the microcode (KQD6-R204.zip) in /home/knoppix/speedtouchconf-27-jun-2006/ by clicking right button, and extract to.....(so I have this two new files KQD6P1.eni and KQD6P2.eni

and then I get the error: can´t find microcode

I reboot again and follow all the steps, excepts for the microcode, this time I copied alcaudsl.sys from my directory in windows/system32

then the error is: unable to locate firmware, if you have a silver modem, make sure you´re using rev4fw.zip

so I extract it in /knoppix/home/speedtouchconf-27-jun-2006/ since my modem is silver

and this is what I got:

the modem-run comand failed (code 235)
    modem-run results: mutex value not ok

I was very close this time because I could enter the info for my isp, but I don´t have any idea what that error means is there something I did wrong?

thanks and best regards,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123