Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.3: KDE crashes with user=knoppix

Hybrid View

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.3: KDE crashes with user=knoppix

Hello!

I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my harddisk with the knxinstall-script. All my hardware was properly detected and everything worked fine. I was really pleased! However, my pleasure didn't last for long...

At first, I started my knoppix on HDD as user "root" as well as user "knoppix" without any problems. But the third day I when I switched my computer on, I got an error message from KDE's crash manager saying that "KWin" (the KDE window manager) had to be shut down due to some segfault errors. Reasonable work was no longer possible, as all window headers and frames in KDE were broken. I shut down the PC and turned it on again. Now, logging in in kdm as "knoppix", I got an additional KDE errror message: This time, "KSplash" was broken, too. Moreover, in KDE, everything is VERY VERY slow, there's a lot of ado on my harddisk and any program I try to start fails (e.g. Khelp) with or without an error message from the KDE crash manager.

Note: I did not do any changes to the system between the installation of knoppix to HDD and always did shut down the computer properly until the screen showd on the screen the words "Power down."

Very strange, too: The above mentioned problems DO NOT occur as user "root"! Here, the login from kdm is straightforward as is should be with the Mac-like loading of the diverse modules on the screen (sorry for that comparison, but I don't know how to describe this in a better way).

Furthermore, I checked my memory with the programme "memtest" for 72 hours showing no problems at all. Thus, my RAM seems to be okay.

Any ideas what's wrong with my system???

Please help me!!!

Best regards,
    Oli

Senior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix 3.3: KDE crashes with user=knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by Messiaen

Any ideas what's wrong with my system???

Please help me!!!

Best regards,
    Oli
    Who knows. Typical KDE nonsense it sounds like to me. Oh and KDE being slow well that's just how it is. During the install did you not add another user? You can add one now.

adduser <username>

then log in with that one and see if it works.

Hello rickenbacherus,

thanks for that idea! Unfortunately, my KDE crashes continue even with new users. Yesterday, for example, Konquerer and KHelp crasehed. I don't understand why this stupid system only works as user root!?!?!?!?

Meanwhile, it seems to me that Linux is still a very unreliable dream and I'm very close to do what I don't really want to: install the mainstream rubbish from Redmont, 'cause one has to admit that THIS system works!

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Messiaen
    Meanwhile, it seems to me that Linux is still a very unreliable dream and I'm very close to do what I don't really want to: install the mainstream rubbish from Redmont, 'cause one has to admit that THIS system works!

Olivier
    Sorry things aren't panning out for you but I cannot agree that Redmonds OS (and I use the term loosely) 'just works'. Perhaps for a casual end user it's ok but in a corporated environment I spend many hours and days patching, fixing and reinstalling windows. It is tiring. Here's a little something from my 400Mhz Linux box:

Code:
    uptime
     09:14:19 up 42 days, 17:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.39, 0.24
    Not too shabby eh?

Answer this honestly. How long did it take before you became 'good' at using Windows? Was it a week? Two? Most likely it took years. Give LInux the same chance and you won't regret it. Also realize that KDE is NOT Linux it is a desktop that runs on *nix and nothing more.

Personally, I prefer xfce4. You can install it with Synaptic. Make sure you get all of the packages.

You can nuke KDE in its entirety like so:

apt-get remove libarts1 kdeartwork-misc kdeartwork-theme-icon kdebase-data mkmenusfromkde-knoppix kdeedu-data

It will prceed to remove ALOT of stuff. Fret not as none of it is system related. You can install gdm:

apt-get install gdm gdm-themes

Now GDM is a login manager just like KDM. It has recently changed the way it does business and may not offer you the choice of selecting XFCE4 for your session. It did NOT the last time I installed it but that was 3 or so weeks ago. Things change very quickly. If it doesn't give you an XFCE4 option from the Session menu then you need to make a file:

touch /etc/dm/Sessions/XFCE4

Put the following in /etc/dm/Sessions/XFCE4

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=XFCE4
    Comment=Whatever
    Exec=startxfce4
    Type=Application

Restart GDM (or reboot if you prefer) and it *should* be there.

gluck

KDE not go away

I make:

apt-get remove libarts1 kdeartwork-misc kdeartwork-theme-icon kdebase-data mkmenusfromkde-knoppix kdeedu-data

and then startx but KDE is there slowly loading and finish with a blank screen

I would like iceWM

I think is vary important for me to learn Debian-Linux

messiaen:

perhaps you may find the error when logging.

startx 1>x.log 2>&1

will output system-messages and errors to the file x.log.

Do you know details, what library caused the crash for instance?

Re: KDE not go away

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Contreras
    I make:

and then startx but KDE is there slowly loading and finish with a blank screen

I would like iceWM

I think is vary important for me to learn Debian-Linux
    Well you just removed KDE so it isn't going to start. Just boot into text mode or hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and then do:

apt-get install gdm gdm-themes icewm

And you're right it IS important to learn Linux.

kde go home

apt-get install gdm gdm-themes icewm

I do that and download a lot of data but... KDE came again slowly and with its bad resolution.

Debian is hard

When youinstalled gdm it asked which login manager you woud like to be default. Did you select gdm?

Feedback to your suggestions

Hello altogether,

thanks for all your comments. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you a feedback earlier.

To "rickenbacherus":

Congratulations to your uptime! If MS-DOS had an uptime counter, it would have shown an uptime of > 5 years on my computer. Of course, on a single machine and not connected to a network; here I agree with you that it's a different game.
    To sum in up in brief: I HAD a very-well running system with DOS 6.22 / Windows for Workgroups 3.11, with which I did everything, i.e. desktop publishing, watching movies and - the last coup - even burn CD-ROMs under MS-DOS. Yes, that's possible! Then, I finally decided to switch to a newer OS and I was recommended Mandrake Linux. However this not only gave ca. 20 error messages during the installation but resulted also in a not working Linux (both the same with Mandrake 8.2 and 10.0). The same rubbish with Suse 7.3 and 8.2. Then I found out after a long search in the internet, that my ELSA Winner 2000 AVI graphic card (at the time when I had bought it a "Mercedes" under the graphic cards!) was no longer supported under Xfree, version 4.x! Really, what a great improvement!!! (( You always hear the warnings that you shouldn't use linux with too NEW hardware and then THAT! In contrast to that, Xfree 3.3.6 worked, but only in 640x480 that I coudn't stand. Strangely, Knoppix 3.3 even allowed a resolution of 1024x768 when run from CD; from HDD however, only 640x480... Thus, I bought an old - but newer than the ELSA card - Matrox graphics card via Ebay, which now allowed me at least the use of Xfree, version 4.x. But the installation of Mandrake (8.2 and 10.0) remained the same shit whith > 20 errors during instaallation and a non-working system. So, back to Knoppix 3.3: Here, everything's fine from CD, even the selection of the graphic resolutions worked perfectly. Then, having copied it to HDD and installing LILO, it worked only with user "root", but not with other users. AND: Though DOS-partition was still accessible, Windows 3.11 didn't work anymore! Bingo! And that's now where I am: I have a computer on which neither Win 3.11 nor Linux (Knoppix on HDD) really works. That's for the background of my anger towards Linux - not only that it doesn't work, but it also doesn't seem to tolerate existing OSs... (((((((

Concerning your suggestion to install XFCE4:
    I checked the screenshots on their website. First, I prefer the look of KDE and second, I haven't seen any HDD icons on the presented XFCE4-desktops. What I want is an icon for each HDD partition on which I can click and which automatically mounts my filesystem. I do not ever want to use the command-line and do things manually!
    In view of the comments "Carlos Contreras" made, it seems to be another adventure of which I'm not really keen on...

To "unknown user" from Berlin:

startx 1>x.log 2>&1

doesn't work, as I log in via kdm and thus X is already running on screen no. 7. Logging in from another screen (via CTRL-ALT-F1) and typing the command you gave me, will result in an error message in the file "x.log" saying that X is already running.
    But when I try to log in as knoppix from kdm, I immediately get the following message (I quote only the first sentence):

"Der kde-Startbildschirm ist abgestürzt (ksplash) und hat das Signal 11 (SIGSEGV) veranlasst.")

beneath you find some hieroglyphs which end up giving the names of the two libraries:
    /lib/libthread.so.0
    /usr/lib/libdecore.so.4

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and ideas!!!

Oli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast