and when I copied the /tftpboot stuff to the actual machine that is my
    dhcp/pxe server, it was unconfigured with the unmodified contents of
    /tftpboot, which would not work.

I do not like having to pre-configure the network drivers. I think it would
    be better to have a bigger miniroot that contained all the net drivers
    and did its own detection, as the cdrom version does. I may whack
    that together. Since we're going to end up copying 100 MB of stuff
    eventually, copying the additional 6M of more network modules in
    the miniroot doesn't seem like much of a burden.

thanks,
    -dB
    I agree, but when trying to get a miniroot including all the network drivers, the system locked up in some driver (which obviously I didn't need) and I couldn't get the system to boot. I had to go back to a "raisonnable" set of drivers to get a "working" config. So I understand Klaus wich allow each one of us to customize his miniroot according to his needs. But it would be good to have a default which includes all the drivers mostly used and known to work well together with a good and fast auto-detection and without any lock up.
    Gilles

when trying to get a miniroot including all the network drivers, the system locked up in some driver (which obviously I didn't need) and I couldn't get the system to boot. I had to go back to a "raisonnable" set of drivers to get a "working" config.
    I don't mean to put all the drivers into the kernel, which would be the result of including them all at the moment. What I mean is to include them all in the miniroot, and then change the linuxrc script to do real detection of them and only install the correct one(s). What is does now is load everything you have in the miniroot, which is why it is awkward to include them all. Since the good autodetection is already around, the terminal server should use it as well as the CD system. This is what I'm thinking about putting together -- a changed linuxrc that will autodetect the net driver needed to nfs mount the KNOPPIX.

-dB
    [/quote]

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrower
    Since the good autodetection is already around, the terminal server should use it as well as the CD system. This is what I'm thinking about putting together -- a changed linuxrc that will autodetect the net driver needed to nfs mount the KNOPPIX.
    -dB
    I am 100% with you then.
    BTW, I have trouble accessing page 11 of this news/topic. Page 10 is the last one I can access from the top of the page (Goto page ...). Is there a limitation to 10 pages in this forum ?
    GvR

More bugs in Knoppix 3.4?

I installed K 3.4 on my hard disk the day it came out and have been using it since then. I have, however, encountered three problems which I would like to know if anyone else has had, and know if anyone knows how to solve them?

1. Even though I have run the network card configuration script and successfully configured the card, every time I restart the computer the network doesn't work. On the startup screen I can see it backgrounding the DHCP server (which I do not need because I have a fixed IP). When I re-run the script, all my values are there, and I just click on OK, and then the card works fine. But I have to do it by hand every time...

2. By default cupsd doesn't start. I have to su to root and start it by hand. I have tried dkpg-reconfigure cupsys but the daemon will not start automatically.

3. The strangest of all. When I first did the installation, K 3.4 put a load of icons on my desktop that I did not need, so I deleted some of them and changed the name of others to more meaningful names, and everything is fine, but when I reboot (or plug in my USB pendrive), I loose all the changes I have made and get all the original icons? Strange.

Any suggestions would, as usual, be very well received.

Tim

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_
    Suggestions for 3.4 5-10 HD Install issue?

Here's the output after a restart into a HD beginner install:

root@knoppixlt:/home/jack# netcardconfig
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
    Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?

Any ideas never had an issue with 3.3?
    No bug.

Please add it to Bugs/Installer-Bugs though ...

I'll explain:

Root is no longer allowed to access the users display due to security reasons.

Just do:

su - # creates new environment for root

and use netcardconfig in text modus.

Or:

use:

kdesu netcardconfig

cu

Fabian

Re: More bugs in Knoppix 3.4?

Quote Originally Posted by timread
    I installed K 3.4 on my hard disk the day it came out and have been using it since then. I have, however, encountered three problems which I would like to know if anyone else has had, and know if anyone knows how to solve them?

1. Even though I have run the network card configuration script and successfully configured the card, every time I restart the computer the network doesn't work. On the startup screen I can see it backgrounding the DHCP server (which I do not need because I have a fixed IP). When I re-run the script, all my values are there, and I just click on OK, and then the card works fine. But I have to do it by hand every time...

2. By default cupsd doesn't start. I have to su to root and start it by hand. I have tried dkpg-reconfigure cupsys but the daemon will not start automatically.

3. The strangest of all. When I first did the installation, K 3.4 put a load of icons on my desktop that I did not need, so I deleted some of them and changed the name of others to more meaningful names, and everything is fine, but when I reboot (or plug in my USB pendrive), I loose all the changes I have made and get all the original icons? Strange.

Any suggestions would, as usual, be very well received.

Tim
    Hi,

please add al bugs to the bugs-page / knoppix-installer

1. is a bug. I added some code to make sure this won't happen. Obviously it did not work.

2. fixed in new version and same as 1). "Workaround" for now: as root do:

update-rc.d cupsys defaults

3. Hm, well you need to change mkdesktophdicons and disable it somehow ...

Its a feature not a bug ...

I don't know how to fix that yet though ...

cu

Fabian

Hi Fabian:

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank you for the good work on Knoppix, I would support the idea of paying you guys for your work, but that is another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    please add al bugs to the bugs-page / knoppix-installer
    I would love to, but when I connect to the Bugs section I am asked for another login and password - is their a FAQ about how to use the Bugs mechanism? It would be useful to know so that we can all help make Knoppix better.

1. is a bug. I added some code to make sure this won't happen. Obviously it did not work.
    Ok, it's not the end of the world to re-run the script when I reboot the machine, since K 3.4 is so stable, I don't do it that often

2. fixed in new version and same as 1). "Workaround" for now: as root do:
    update-rc.d cupsys defaults
    Worked like a charm...

Well, maybe it is a bit ugly but I found that:

chmod 0 /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons

Seems to have done the trick, at least my desktop does not change without me asking it to do so.

Thanks.

Tim

To add anything to the WIKI, scroll to the bottom, type your forum username in the box, and click Edit, which should be just above and to the left of that name box. If the screen is asking for both a login and password, back up to the previous screen. No password is necessary - just name and Edit.

Klaus, Fabian and everybody else responsible for Knoppix, in one word:

BRILLIANT

Boot with kernel 2.6 and toram (1Gb Ram), it's fantastic. In 5 minutes listening to music, browsing Internet and chatting. Installed the Flash plugin and looked at the flash page of my club

Vielen dank fur dieser Knoppix 3.4.

Quote Originally Posted by timread
    Hi Fabian:

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank you for the good work on Knoppix, I would support the idea of paying you guys for your work, but that is another thread.

Well, maybe it is a bit ugly but I found that:

chmod 0 /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons

Seems to have done the trick, at least my desktop does not change without me asking it to do so.

Thanks.

Tim

Not realy a clean way to do it, you just made it impossible to run the script at all. you should try to find out where it is started, and remove that line. but I dunnow where its started, it must be some knoppix-script somewhere maybe in init.d or init.rc.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast