Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help downloading 4.02 dvd

Senior Member registered user

need help downloading 4.02 dvd

Howdy:

Tried unsuccessfully to download the dvd using the following rsync command:

rsync -avv --progress rsync://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-EN.iso .

After running for a couple of days the program terminated with the following error:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (3109800730 bytes received so far) [receiver]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(359)
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (82 bytes received so far) [generator]

Then I tried again with the following rsync command:

rsync -avv --partial --progress rsync://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-EN.iso .

Once again after a couple of days the job crashed with the following error:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2686452034 bytes received so far) [receiver]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (82 bytes received so far) [generator]

But this time I have a partial file, between 2 and 3 gigabytes. I would like to crank up another rsync command and have it pick up the download where it left off and complete the job. Could someone please tell me how
    to do this?

Thanks

I can't help you with rsync. I'm sure rsync works & have used it about a year ago, but I choose to not use it to download Knoppix ISO files. I either use a local Knoppix mirror (of which I get 600KB/sec sustained) or I use bittorrent. Like rsync, bittorrent is an intelligent protocol that examines the differences of a file. This means you can use bittorrent and still use the currently downloaded portion instead of downloading the whole thing over again. I would start up a bittorrent client (I use azureus) and enable the download, after it sync up to the bittorrent server & begins downloading at 0.1%, stop the download & then copy your existing partially completed ISO image file and overwrite the one that bitorrent created. Once you start the bittorrent download, it will first check the partially completed ISO and will continue to download from where your rsync failed thus saving you time.

I hope this helps.
    James

Thank you James. Did I miss something on the local mirrors? I tried 2 of them, one here at the University of Florida and another at Purdue. Both of them had messages that said that the dvd iso was too large for them and to use the rsync command that I tried.

Don't know beans about bittorrent so I guess I've got a learning curve ahead. You mentioned something called azureus. Can you offer guidance there?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    Don't know beans about bittorrent so I guess I've got a learning curve ahead. You mentioned something called azureus.
    BitTorrent is pretty straight forward, and covered well in the wiki. See both the downloading faq and the article on BitTorrent. The only thing that I want to restate is that once installed it is very important to forward the proper post(s) in your router (I hope that you do use a router for safe high speed operation) and open any software firewall that you use for the BitTorrent ports. BitTorrent may seem to work but will be very slow if you do not do this.

azureus is just another BitTorrent client. James is fond of it. But to get started and for the widest base of support I would suggest that you start with the newest non-beta regular BitTorrent client.

Thanks Harry.

Don't have a router and don't have a firewall. I've got a hub on which I string my lan with linux and win98 machines. One of the win98's connects to the DSL modem and uses connection sharing to give the others internet access. Guess that leaves me out as far as bittorent is concerned.

I originally purchased the 4.02 dvd from one of the vendors. The disk had one of those paper labels on it and they seem to deteriorate. In a few weeks I couldn't access it in my dvd drive. I've had problems with those paper labels before. Tried to peel it off but couldn't. I really liked the 4.02 dvd so that's what got me into trying to do a download.

Looks like if I can't get rsync working right then I'm stuck.

Don't have a router and don't have a firewall.... Guess that leaves me out as far as bittorent is concerned.
    It doesn't leave you out at all, as far as BitTorrent is concerned. You just don't have to do the steps to set up the router or firewall. And I expect you have to run BitTorrent on the system connected to the DSL modem, not one of the connection sharing systems.

But you are extremely likely at this point to have multiple sypware/virus/trojan infestations. And any number of other network issues. I can't emphasise enough how important I believe a router is for high speed access, as it provides a NAT firewall that drops unwelcome and unexpected incoming attacks. Of course you can still infest yourself by downloading and running stuff from Warez sites or usenet, opening e-mail attachments, or even by visiting evil sites with an insecure browser. But a router is a very important piece of security hardware and provides a lot of utility too. And the price has become dirt cheapl I paid over $100 for a wired only one almost 6 years ago, now you can often find wired and wireless ones, even 802.11g wireless, for under $10 U.S. after rebate. I consider it extremely foolish to run without one, even with only one connection, and multiple connections makes it a no brainer.

I originally purchased the 4.02 dvd from one of the vendors. The disk had one of those paper labels on it and they seem to deteriorate. In a few weeks I couldn't access it in my dvd drive. I've had problems with those paper labels before. Tried to peel it off but couldn't. I really liked the 4.02 dvd so that's what got me into trying to do a download.

Looks like if I can't get rsync working right then I'm stuck.
    Labels are a known problem. I also don't like buying Knoppix from such vendors because they likely burn at high speed to increase their profit, although this is know to produce unreliable burns. There is no reason why you can't use BitTorrent though. And I recommend it over any of the mirrors because of it's error checking; I've had too many bad downloads from Knoppix mirrors.

Wow! Thanks again, Harry. Now the system that I have connected to
    the DSL modem is win98. I would love for that to be a linux system but couldn't get any help from Sprint as to how to configure same. Will bittorrent run on the win98 box?

the DSL modem is win98. I would love for that to be a linux system but couldn't get any help from Sprint as to how to configure same. Will bittorrent run on the win98 box?
    BitTorrent will run on win98 just fine (that usually how I do it).

Yup, you'll find that many lame "tech support" groups only support windows and then not very well and often with heavy Indian accents even though thay give their names as "Bob" or "Elvis". Knoppix can be configured to use that DSL connection; but I'm not the one to guide you through the PPPoE setup to do it -I never needed to, that's another reason why I advocate use of an inexpensive router - the router takes care of all of that DSL and PPPoE stuff for you, logging in to the ISP and so on. With a router you literally just boot the Knoppix disc and you are on the Internet as soon as the boot completes (just type a URL into the Knoquror window to see). Without a router and the magic of DHCP you need to do the PPPoE setup, enter your account information and the rest.

--Win98 is incapable for Bittorrent files over 2GB. You need a filesystem that can handle bigger files.

--Recommendations:

o BUY A ROUTER - security, real connection sharing (DHCP), ease of use

o Hire a local computer expert / teenager to set up your networking; have a couple of hankies handy for when he sees your setup.
    Just messing. I tried running Win98SE similarly, but found a better way.
    ( Router + 8-port switch + Linux + Squid -- http://www.squid-cache.org/
    )

o Buy a 2nd HD if you don't have one, solely for Linux install. Much easier than trying to repartition/resize.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO...html#CONFIGURE

--Once you turn off the Win98 connection, you should be able to run the Knoppix "PPPOE Config":
    K menu \ KNOPPIX \ Networking/Internet \ ADSL/PPPOE Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    BitTorrent will run on win98 just fine (that usually how I do it).

Yup, you'll find that many lame "tech support" groups only support windows and then not very well and often with heavy Indian accents even though thay give their names as "Bob" or "Elvis". Knoppix can be configured to use that DSL connection; but I'm not the one to guide you through the PPPoE setup to do it -I never needed to, that's another reason why I advocate use of an inexpensive router - the router takes care of all of that DSL and PPPoE stuff for you, logging in to the ISP and so on. With a router you literally just boot the Knoppix disc and you are on the Internet as soon as the boot completes (just type a URL into the Knoquror window to see). Without a router and the magic of DHCP you need to do the PPPoE setup, enter your account information and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Win98 is incapable for Bittorrent files over 2GB. You need a filesystem that can handle bigger files.
    That's dead wrong. I've downloaded the DVD version with BitTorrent on Win98 just fine.

Versions of BitTorrent before 4.0 did have a size problem, but I used 4.0.2 with no problem. I haven't updated yet to the current release or beta, but it would be pretty strange for the size problem that was in version 3 to have snuck back in.

Win98 does have the size limit of 4gig-1byte files, but the Knoppix DVD is about 3 gigs and much smaller than that. Some people falsely think the file size limit in Win98 is 2 gig, but that is incorrect.

If you download on a Win98 network, it's best to download to the system that your DVD burner is on. Win98 does have a problem transfering files over 2 gig across it's local network with Windows file sharing. But there are ways around this (I used FTP once, have also sliced a large file into multiple parts and reassembled them on the other side (also Win9 with no problems).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast