K so i gave up trying to get my linksys wpc54g to work on knoppix 3.4 even tho the drivers are there. Sometimes it gets recognized & other times it wont. Its like dmesg is playing games with me, k thats another story. I moved on to try the proxim card. Following is what i did so read thru folks & let me know if u have any suggestions that i might try.

step 1. Inserted card it booted with some wierd stuff on the screen about ath1 loaded with warning & wlan loaded with warning although i dont see any of that on the screen. Regardless the wireless nic does get recognized so that i can at least attempt to go thru the other motions which follow. Btw dmesg does show the card is there.

step 2. K so i go thru wavelan config & add everything that i need to add for my nic card.

Went thru getting the resolv.conf file with dns servers from my isp. ( i know it would have done it automatically with wavelan but i still went & ran it.

step 3. DId a pump -i ath0 & wavmon goes nuts with RX & some TX sent but nothing budges i get a failed error message on pump. Also tried ifconfig ath0 up but nothing doing there either.

K so this is what i m getting as an end result, dmesg says the following a bunch of times.
ath0 : association failed ( reason 25 ) for 00:06:25:f7:79:01

Also another thing that i notice is that when i do an ifconfig while running pump -i ath0 i see an ip address on the built in nic for my laptop but nothing there for ath0???

K so thats my delimma i have posted everything that i tried so far. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Btw i have an IBM R40 laptop for this lil adventure that i am going thru.

Thnx. - Navid.