Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

alsa problem

The output format of "lspci -n" is changed, and it caused a problem
    in alsa-autoconfig.
    Alas-autoconfig can't grep "Class 401".
    It's is necessary to change "Class 0401" to "0401".

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjrrr3
    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

Just a thought.
    Not everyone has broadband, believe it or not. Maybe they're in between jobs or maybe they live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not a practical option for everyone, alas.
    Yes,there is broadband available but the cost is still prohibitive for an ordinary home user like me. Perhaps getting the cd is a good alternative.

Member registered user
    Yes FreeNX avaliable,kde 3.3.0 from apt-get

I can't get the 3.6 release to boot on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop. I get the following during the bootup:

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [Toshiba MK2016GAP]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

and the cursor just sits and blinks at the last line, looking for the cdrom. I had the same problem with version 3.4, but not with version 3.3. Anyone have any suggestions about how to get around this? Thanks.

Member registered user

Questions for FabianX

Hi:

1. Why you don't use "debianised" Open Office ? It looks better ... .

2. After my ISP changed configuration of its DHCP server (Chello) it doesn't "cooperate" with Knoppix DHCP client (pump). Would't it be possible to add alternative dhcpclient which works fine?

Wojtek.

I use OneBase on my 2nd pc wich is knoppix based and it uses dhcpcd. It works realy fine for me. http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/s...eywords=dhcpcd
    Meaby it is also in the knx. repository.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometeus
    Yes FreeNX avaliable,kde 3.3.0 from apt-get
    I can't find KDE 3.3.0 using apt-get any where, do you have an idea where I can get it from? Or are you implying it will be available next week?

-Thanks

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by pscheie
    I can't get the 3.6 release to boot on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop. I get the following during the bootup:

and the cursor just sits and blinks at the last line, looking for the cdrom. I had the same problem with version 3.4, but not with version 3.3. Anyone have any suggestions about how to get around this? Thanks.
    Try "knoppix nodma" boot option at CD startup prompt. I have same problem with Dell desktop pc and this gets around it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbs
    Quote Originally Posted by pscheie

Try "knoppix nodma" boot option at CD startup prompt. I have same problem with Dell desktop pc and this gets around it.
    Or perhaps (assuming you don't have any scsi hardware in your latitude) "knoppix noscsi" and/or "knoppix26 noscsi"/"knoppix26". The noscsi is simply because it is hanging on /dev/scd0 which is the first scsi cdrom. As it has detected your hard cd as /dev/hdc one can only assume (though wonders never cease) that the cdrom is not using scsi emulation. For some reason it often seems to be that scsi auto detection can fall over on machines where there is no scsi (but some other piece of hardware is perhaps agressively matched and mistaken as a scsi device).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast