Thread: Kanotix

Kanotix

Ive been hearing about Kanotix, does anyone like it. what are the difference from knoppix to kanotix.... Any views are greatly appreciated...

Senior Member registered user
    I like Kanotix very much. The main difference between it and Knoppix is that it is closer to a purely Debian Sid than Knoppix which uses a mix with testing (Sarge). I run both BugHunter7a and the older BH4 after switching from Knoppix. I just wanted something a little closer to Sid to make for easier upgrading and Kano's scripts especially for installing kernel source are wonderful.

Member registered user
    Kanotix is wonderful! I have it now installed on my desktop and laptop. It already has most built-in wireless drivers installed and will work with from the cd with no effort. Check out http://kanotix.com/info/index.php to get it.

The next Kanotix (due out soon) will have even more drivers reiser4 support and kernel 2.6.8.1. Please head on over to the Kanotix forums and post your requests. Additionally the next release of Kanotix will likely be done w/ squashfs instead of cloop. While this is not of great importance to the average user it will appeal to anyone interested in remastering as it not only compresses better (read more software) it also compresses faster.

The next Kanotix (due out soon) will have even more drivers reiser4 support and kernel 2.6.8.1.
    I am not even through finishing to cleaning up the ungodly mess I made of BH7a with my upgrading to KDE 3.3. There is no keeping up with that guy

A major difference is that the kanotix forum is almost exclusively in German.
    If you dont speak German then you are likely to miss 90% of the forum so basically your on your own.

(There is a English part to the forum its just not used much )

For HD installs I always use kanotix ...

Member registered user
    I downloaded Kanotic and tried it but it would not boot in 1280x1024 for my screen. It always booted in a lesser resolution no matter what I selected. Also the forums are mainly in German and this is a big disavantage. Given both these problems, I gave up.

My preferred distro so far is Mepis 2004-01. It is the only live CD which boots all my hardware out of the box. Also, it has better looking fonts than Knoppix so it really looks a treat. Unfortunately, Mepis doesn't include all the software included on Knoppix (e.g. ethereal, complete gcc, etc) so I am still waiting for Knoppix to match Mepis in hardware detection and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    A major difference is that the kanotix forum is almost exclusively in German.
    If you dont speak German then you are likely to miss 90% of the forum so basically your on your own.
    True much of the forum is in German but Kano is quite active in the English forum as well. Also he as well (as other knowledgeable individuals) can frequently be found in #kanotix.

followup

Thankx for all of your feedback, as usual I like this forum very much because the people are great and professional. I work for a security dept and always in the market for a good version of linux. Were gonna start testing kanotix and ill get back to you guys real soon with some info... Thankx much Bklynjames....