I am new to Linux and new to Knoppix. This is what I am trying to do. I would like to boot to Knoppix Live CD 3.6 on a windows machine with an Iomega SuperDVD 12x Writer attached via USB. I would then like to create a backup image of the entire hard drive (windows partition) and burn it directly to DVDs. To reiterate, I am completely a novice to Linux. I can confirm that the drive is accessible when booting to Knoppix Live CD, which is great! Someone mentioned "dd" to me. Will this be acceptable? I am not very concerned about performance, but I am concerned with integrity.

Ghost for Windows / DOS is 100% NOT an option any more because I cannot see the USB drive. I have spent the last 180 hours trying to get this going but USB support for DOS just is not there... so please do not reference Ghost. Also Iomega will not provide any support for DOS based issues.

Does anyone know how to implement this? Perhaps there is an application that I could add to the Knoppix iso and then burn it. If it is via command line, I will need to know how to determine what device is actually the USB DVD burner and also how to determine what device is the windows partition. I tried the mount command but what is returned is somewhat confusing. In addition, I am not certain if it will be necessary to put some sort of size limit which will prompt me when the 1st DVD is filled up and it is time to eject the 1st DVD and inject the 2nd DVD.

I am not sure if this is a lot to ask and I am not certain if I am even in the right area to be asking such a question.

Any assitance on implementing this would be GREATLY appreciated !!

Thanks,
Mike