Thread: How to make partition read-write

How to make partition read-write

I have a separate D: drive that I need to save some C: drive files to, before using the Win XP boot disk. I cannot save or modify anything on this D: drive current. I have followed the following instructions with no success:

-You will need to make the drive or partition writable to be able to copy files to it. Right click on the drive or partition on the desktop. This will bring up a little menu. Select the last item in the menu, "Properties". This will open a window with four tabs. Select the third tab, "Device". There is a checkbox labeled "Read only". Make sure it is unchecked, and click on Ok. See Appendix C for a picture.
    - Right click on the drive or partition icon again. If there is an item in the menu called "Unmount" select it.
    - Click on the icon on the desktop for the drive or partition. This will open the explorer type window again.
    - Go back to the window where you found your data you wish to recover. Select the files. Right click on them and select copy. Go back to the window we just opened for the drive or partition. Right click in the big area on the right and select paste.

After doing this, even though the Read-only checkbox is no longer checked, I still cannot add files.

Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Senior Member registered user

Re: How to make partition read-write

Quote Originally Posted by woodjack
    I have a separate D: drive that I need to save some C: drive files to, before using the Win XP boot disk. I cannot save or modify anything on this D: drive current. I have followed the following instructions with no success:

-You will need to make the drive or partition writable to be able to copy files to it. Right click on the drive or partition on the desktop. This will bring up a little menu. Select the last item in the menu, "Properties". This will open a window with four tabs. Select the third tab, "Device". There is a checkbox labeled "Read only". Make sure it is unchecked, and click on Ok. See Appendix C for a picture.
    - Right click on the drive or partition icon again. If there is an item in the menu called "Unmount" select it.
    - Click on the icon on the desktop for the drive or partition. This will open the explorer type window again.
    - Go back to the window where you found your data you wish to recover. Select the files. Right click on them and select copy. Go back to the window we just opened for the drive or partition. Right click in the big area on the right and select paste.

After doing this, even though the Read-only checkbox is no longer checked, I still cannot add files.

Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    hmm, try right click -> actions -> change read/write mode

Administrator Site Admin-
    You can remount a drive as writeable, but there's important information that you have not given us: what file system is the drive using? Common wisdom is that you should never write to an NTFS file system (and thus should not make it writeable) with Knoppix. For this reason, I split my NTFS file system on C into a smaller C and a FAT file system of D before I started using Knoppix on a then new XP system. I've never written to the C partition with Knoppix and have no plans to do so until those who know the file system drivers say that ut is safe to do so. I suggest you might not want to either.

Of course, Knoppix should be able to write to NTFS; but if there are know issues in doing so, why tempt fate?

I do have a NTFS, which I now understand cannot or should not be writable using Knoppix. Therefore, I found a 'windows ultimate book cd v1.1', which is a windows-based OS on cd and had a file system that allowed me to copy from c: to d:

Appreciate your help!

Captive NTFS?

Can someone explain what "Captive NTFS" is. We see it under "Utilities".

Thank you!

Administrator Site Admin-

This topic has been moved

This topic really has nothing to do with networking, and rather than let it grow here I have moved it to the general support forum where it seems to better fit and is more likely to get more responses (maybe not better responses, but more ). Please continue the discussion in the general support forum; I'll clean up this copy after the last poster has had time to see this.