Yesterday I installed Knoppix to a HD partition, but as it was 3.2, it could only run the outdated knx-install command. Therefore, I had difficulty getting my partition icons onscreen like I am used to with live-cd knoppix. I didn't want to download the newest Knoppix image, but noticed that I had a copy of Overclockix (complete with install-knoppix command) handy.

So I put that on a partition and it works great. There are a couple problems, though, which I would be grateful if somebody could help me with.

First, I like to clean up my desktop and only keep three drive icons on it (my Windows C partition, my E partition which I use as download/mp3 storage, my Linux partition and my CD-ROM) - the others (I have a number of other partitions) are rarely used. I put these other icons into a "Misc" folder on my desktop and everything is nice and neat. The problem is, when I reboot, all of the icons are recreated! How can I stop this?

Also, on one of my networked computers (horrible E-Machines with onboard Intel graphics with a Samtron 75V monitor), it always loads up with an undesirable resolution (1152xI-Forget-Exactly). The computer isn't endowed with lots of RAM, so I want it to run at a quicker 800x600 res. When I change the res, though, it doesn't properly redraw the desktop (I lose the taskbar and a large chunk of the rest of the desktop!). I think, "OK, I need to reboot and it'll draw the desktop properly." Sure enough, when I reboot, it goes right back to 1152x???. Is there any way to actually save my configuration changes?

I noticed as well that all of my Firefox tweaks (I close the Bookmarks taskbar, make yahoo my home page, etc) all disappear, too.

I have a feeling that this can all be fixed with minimal effort, but I just don't know what to do!

Thanks for any help,
Dave