Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

Senior Member registered user
    I made some modifications to knoppix-autoconfig by adding following lines after last "fi":
    # Setting right permissions and owners to /etc/qt3, /tmp/.ICE-unix and /tmp/.X11-unix
    mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    chown -R root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    mkdir -p /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    chown -R root:root /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    chmod 777 /etc/qt3 2>/dev/null

# Copy everything from /etc/skel to /home/knoppix
    mkdir -p /home/knoppix 2>/dev/null
    cp -Rp /etc/skel/.??* /home/knoppix 2>/dev/null
    cp -Rp /etc/skel/??* /home/knoppix 2>/dev/null
    # mv /home/skel knoppix 2>/dev/null
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix 2>/dev/null
    I think that home directory for user knoppix can be done in this early stage (before starting X) because in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession is always --ignore-existing before copying files.

These modificationg might be too complicated and I have forgotten what difficulties I had using 45xsession when copying files from /etc/skel to /home/knoppix. So this is only my temporary solution for KDE 3.4.1. Perhaps someone knows a better way to do these thing than I have done. I think that with KDE 3.4.0 was no problem in populating /home directory.

Hope there would be an updated 45xsession and knoppix-autoconfig file in next Knoppix release to solve these owner and permissions problems and /home/knoppix directory population problems.

-tapsa-

Re: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

Here are a couple of small observations. (1) The HOWTO is so well written and clear that I I got a little lost when I didn't see the commands for exiting chroot at the appropriate places, evem though it is mentioned in the text. Actually sticking them in the command examples would make it just a little more explicit. (2) Most folks attempting this will be familiar with the apt-get way of life. But some may be a little newer (like myself). The HOWTO mentions grabbing updates from a local mirror. HHow about adding this OPTIONAL section for explaining how to do just that.

The following OPTIONAL section explains how to update your apt-get sources list to point to a fastt mirror near you. While in the CHROOT environment, type the following commands:

apt-get install apt-spy
    apt-spy -d testing -a north-america -e 3

where apt-spy will test 3 mirrors (-e 3) in North America (-a north-america) that host the testing distribution of Debian (-d testing, versus stable, unstable, or security) and will REPLACE /etc/apt/source.list with information that will allow apt to download updates from the faster mirror tested.

Hi,

First of all I got to say thanks for that working and really easy to follow howto ... I've been searching quite a lot on the web to find the way to modify Knoppix and this is by far the most complete howto there is ! I wanted to contribute a little bit so here it is:

I succesfully Remastered a Knoppix v4.0.2 CD with this howto so it could be added to the list of compatible versions...
    There is 3 things you need to know to do it successfully :
    1. There's a bug with the knoppix remaster script ... after your done copying the whole cd on the drive you got the stop the script type exit a couple of times to reset the tty then restart the script ... if you don't do this you wont be able to see what you type
    2. The part talking about /etc/X11/XSession.d/45xsession didn't really worked ... I used this thread to make my environment like I set it up : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18156 (BTW the lines to comment aren't really the same numbers as stated in the thread but they are really closed. Use common sense and you'll figure it out ! )
    3. The part that are stated for knoppix 3.8.2 do not apply to 4.0.2

Thats it, thats all. For the rest if you follow the instructions, you won't have any problems!

Stiff.

Oh yeah I forgot ... this should be sticky for sure !

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffmaster
    Oh yeah I forgot ... this should be sticky for sure !
    Iym not sure what this is, but rather than clutter the top of forums with many stickies, now that the new wiki software is up and functional, we are encouraging people to place information that they consider useful to many users in the wiki. That way it is well organized in a place where it can easily be found and can be maintained by all who are concerned about it. I invite you to move and edit any information that you would consider important enough to be made "sticky" into the remastering section of the wiki (reached by the documentation link near the top of this page).

The wiki, of course, also welcoms new submissions. If you are about to respond to a question in these forums and the information might help more than just the person who asked the question, consider writing your response in the form of an entry in the proper place in the wiki, and then just posting a link to that wiki entry as your response in the forum. That way the information will be well indexed and made available to many.

KNOPPIX 3.9 can be remastered ?

Hi, All
    First of all, thanks to UnderScore to write such a cool HOWTO !

in these few days i've been remastering Parallelknoppix 2005-08-02 version, which based on Knoppix 3.9, and the only thing that became a problem was, when i'm going to startx (after **START OF LAST HALF** on this HOWTO) than came out a message about permission of /tmp, and all i do is chmod 777 /tmp just like for Knoppix 3.8.1...and treat the rest of the howto as KNOPPIX 3.8.1...i don't know whether the author of Parallelknoppix has fix the bug on UNIONFS on it...

but than again...everything works well until i've burned it into CDR, all of the Application software that i've add in console mode
    was fine, but all of KDE customization on graphical mode after startx (after**START OF LAST HALF**) have gone !!!...
    Any suggestion ? is this problem has something to do with the 45session ? (i'm trying to try this out today)..

Thanks in advance

~viek~
    Warm greeting from Indonesia

PS : Sorry for such a bad english

trying to use USB flash disk

Hi again

i'm trying to 'saveconfig' (knoppix menu) the desktop and menu change into usb flash, -> which will turns into configs.tbz and knoppix.sh, and copy it back to the directory where the remastered reside

/mnt/<partition>/KNOPPIX or somewhere else it has configs.tbz and knoppix.sh, so it will rewrite it

,right before i'll burn the cd,

using konsole outside the chroot....

hope it will work

Troubel with eclipse ?

Hi , i want to make knoppix customizing with eclipse inside. I follow this tutorial, glad i have no trouble.
    But when i execute the eclipse. it says , it need rw in folder ( /usr/share/eclipse/workspace ). I just answer , is the solution is make a symlink to /var folder ? ( i heard that all symlink will be erase when i do the create compressed fs ).

Is this possible?

HI,

First of all, thanks for the hard working of developing this tool. I have been using Knoppix since 3.1, but, never try to remaster. This tool definitely will make this task a lot easier.

I read through all the posts in this thread. Before I dive into the remastering project, it will be appreciated if someone here can tell me if it is possible to use this tool to get what I am looking for.

I got an Open Source scientific software, on a normal hard drive install (SuSE or Fedore Core), I need to un-tar/unzip the source code to specific folder (say /home/knoppix/Software, ....), then, I need to un-tar/unzip the binary code to specific folders (I am not sure where exactly the binary go to), then, I need to edit /home/knoppix/.bashrc to refect the changes. Each time, I open up a shell terminal, .bashrc executed.

So, in the tool, after I remove the packages I do not want, what will be steps to install this special Open Source software?

Thanks a lot for pointing to me a direction.

phsieh2006

Is this supportsfor remastering knoppix 4.0 also

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast