Senior Member registered user

Administrator Site Admin-
    Thanks. Please post md5 sums.

And the second one is what exactly?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
    http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/pol_and_onas_linux.iso
    http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/par...2004-10-23.iso

(up for a while .. untile someone sets up a tracker)
    Thanks, it seems like the ftp server here is giving some problems.

I doubt that gamers will want parallelknoppix, it's for setting up a linux cluster. See http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix for more info about what it does.

Also, someone mentioned using "Pol and Ona's Linux" for a remaster. Don't do that - plain Knoppix 3.6 is a better place to start. There's nothing in my iso that you can't install with apt-get from the ordinary repositories. You can use kpackage to see a list of installable games.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Thanks. Please post md5 sums.
    parallelknoppix-2004-10-23.iso
    7c2a436789cff522ec8229f340b02e59

pol_and_onas_linux.iso
    bd108983f94af99b42b9003a91109407

Direct to you from the horse's mouth.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by mcreel
    pol_and_onas_linux.iso
    bd108983f94af99b42b9003a91109407
    Mine matches! Thanks.

I never have any problems with any other binary downloads, but the Knoppix downloads from the official mirrors are bad for me half the time or more (I've traced it to a translation that happens, as if it were a text file rather than a binary file, that replaces the Linux "newline" with the MS CR/FL byte pair). So I always like to check the Knoppix md5 before I contribute to my coaster collection.

parallelKNOPPIX looks very interesting. It ieven has step-by-step remastering and MPI tutorials on the CD! How is this different from openMOSIX (ie: clusterKNOPPIX and QUANTIAN)?

Regards,
    AJG

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    parallelKNOPPIX looks very interesting. It ieven has step-by-step remastering and MPI tutorials on the CD! How is this different from openMOSIX (ie: clusterKNOPPIX and QUANTIAN)?

Regards,
    AJG
    Sorry to put this long response in the games forum, but you asked here...

Here's the theory, as I understand it, but I'm not an expert on openMosix. With openMosix, which is used by ClusterKnoppix and Quantian, all MPI processes start on 1 computer, and they migrate off when that computer becomes more loaded than the others. See http://howto.x-tend.be/openMosixWiki/index.php, and type "LAM" in the search box there for more information.

With ParallelKnoppix, a standard MPI clustering environment is established before any MPI programs are run. So the parallel parts of the MPI programs know which node they are to run on from the outset. Now some speculation: I believe that the openMosix approach will work well for highly parallelized programs that require little communication between the parallel parts once the program starts. I speculate that this will not work as well when the program has parallelized parts interspersed with serial parts that run on the master computer. I think this will be the case since the overhead of determining which processes to migrate will be incurred repeatedly during execution, rather than once at the outset. I have no idea of the magnitude of the openMosix overhead in relation to the overhead of MPI communication. I haven't seen any evidence, and I don't have the time to investigate it myself, since ParallelKnoppix works well for my research needs.
    If you have any more questions maybe you should email me at my address posted higher up in this thread. Cheers, Michael

PLEASE anyone! Could someone torrent Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers?

Please, I beg you and I guess it's not just me who wants Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers.
    I am giving away free CD's/DVD's with Knoppix for kids and windoze users to popularize Linux among them and awaken their interest for Linux.
    This remastered Knoppix 3.6 gor Gamers could be just great to boost people's interest in Linux and it's capabilities.

So PLEASE could anybody who bought the magazine put up the ISO on some ftp/http or even better seed it on to bittorrent!?

Thanks!

btw: As I understand this remastered Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers comes with original/official NVidia and ATI 3d hardware acceleration drivers, is that correct?

Best regards,
    Robert

Michael,

Thanx for the info. I would love to do an end of year project with my AP Computer Science students (High School Seniors here in NY, USA) involving parallelKNOPPIX! I had 25 nodes based on a hdinstall of QUANTIAN last year (each node is a Pentium IV 2.8Ghz with 750MB RAM). That was very interesting! But we only touched the surface....

Robert,

If you want games and nvidia on a liveCD, then MORPHIX Gamer is for you.

I tried out POLandONAS and my kids, PAULandSARA, love it. Why not try it?

Regards,
    AJG

Member registered user
    If you get a 'qemu', you can make a Knoppix that boots 'virtual' under Windows (with autoplay, even. And virtual networking). Doing this to morphix-game gives some games that are fast enough. http://www.morphix.org/debian/autorun/qemu might be a good place to start, as might http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/qemu/index-en.html.
    Virtual DVDs are fun too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast