Thread: Losing data on hard disk when turn off computer

Losing data on hard disk when turn off computer

I use Knoppix Live CD for operation system. My problem : I lose everything saved to hard disk after turning off the computer. What causes this data losing? How can I save file to the hard disk and not lose it when I shut down the computer?

Senior Member registered user
    are you running from the cd?(no hd install of knoppix) if so then you will lose all data that was created while in knoppix because knoppix uses the ram it does not actuly save anything to the hd.

Re: Losing data on hard disk when turn off computer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jack
    I use Knoppix Live CD for operation system. My problem : I lose everything saved to hard disk after turning off the computer. What causes this data losing? How can I save file to the hard disk and not lose it when I shut down the computer?
    As pureone stated, running off the Live-CD, will evaporate everything that is contained in the OS, and data settings, upon reboot, or shutdown.

The solution is to hard drive install, which you will need a spare partition for Linux to use, and boot off of. OR, if you have a spare FAT partition, where you can place a file, that Knoppix will store your "personal home" and all your settings, then, you can use "Save / Create a Persistant Home". Lastly, this being the lesser of all these, with limtations of what is saved, and you have a FAT formated drive, either hard drive, floppy, or USB stick device, you can use "Save Configuration".

You should be able to find the last two options on the menu, under the "Knoppix" section...

To use these "saved" locations, when you boot the Live CD, you would just enter one of the following, depending on which option you choose, on your boot: prompt:

For a saved Persistant Home:
    boot: [your normal commands - plus] home=scan [or you can put the physical device on the command line ... like home=/dev/hda1 ]

For a saved "Save Configuration:
    boot: [your normal commands - plus] myconfig=scan [or you can also put the physical device on the command line - like myconfig=/dev/hdc1 ]

The hard drive install would be like running and booting Windows, no more command lines on the boot: prompt, as for the last two options, you do need to tell the Live CD that you have something saved, and to use it, but, it does allow you to boot a CD OS and still retian stuff, on reboots and cold boots.

Hope this helps, a little,
    Ms. Cuddles

Member registered user
    Hi All,

does using a persisitent home directory save all emails/fileters/settings etc, as I spent some time last night, thinking save knoppix configuration would do so..ouch..cheers.

EDIT: Okay, I've created a persisitent home directory image on hda1, but, need to know, do I have to save repeatedly, manually or, does the OS do it auto at shutdown..? Cheers, again.

downdogWoof...

Member registered user
    Hi All,

the message displayed after the image has been created for persistent home dir, is a little vague. Do I "have" to reboot immediately, to take advantage, or, does it initiate from the moment it's created.? Rather confusing; a newbie could perhaps, if it doesn't initiate immediately, think it does, and start doing stuff, thinking their data etc is being saved, when it isn't. I've been rebooting immediately, just in case. Do I need to..? Cheers.

downdogWoof...

Member registered user
    Hi All,

hello, anyone out there..? Cheers.

downdogWoof...

Re: Losing data on hard disk when turn off computer

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles

The solution is to hard drive install, which you will need a spare partition for Linux to use, and boot off of. OR, if you have a spare FAT partition, where you can place a file, that Knoppix will store your "personal home" and all your settings, then, you can use "Save / Create a Persistant Home". Lastly, this being the lesser of all these, with limtations of what is saved, and you have a FAT formated drive, either hard drive, floppy, or USB stick device, you can use "Save Configuration".
    do you have to run a command to saves everything to the knoppix.img file , like saving the config file ? cause i did al this and am not able to restore the home files

Quote Originally Posted by downdogWoof
    Hi All,

does using a persisitent home directory save all emails/fileters/settings etc, as I spent some time last night, thinking save knoppix configuration would do so..ouch..cheers.

EDIT: Okay, I've created a persisitent home directory image on hda1, but, need to know, do I have to save repeatedly, manually or, does the OS do it auto at shutdown..? Cheers, again.

downdogWoof...
    After creating a persistent home when you boot with 'knoppix home=scan' or home=/dev/hdwherever it is', you should not have to do anything to save the stuff in your /home directory; knoppix should be running using the persistent home as /home instead of ram.
    Test it a bit. make a test file /home/knoppix/test with kwrite or something, save it then shut down. When you reboot it should be there.

still doesn't work ,

getting these messges at boot when i boot with home=scan or home=dev/hda5/knoppix.img
    i also checked and the img file is on the hard disk...

-WARNING: FAT32 is not a good filesystem option for /home/knoppix (missing/symlink support)
    -WARNING: Better use an ext2 loopbackfile and boot with home=/dev/hda5/knoppix.img