Thread: CD ripping

Junior Member registered user

CD ripping

What do i do to properly rip CD's onto my computer using the highest possible quality. Size is not a concern. Also, how can i make it so i have all my music organised in a format similar to that of Windows Media Player where i can organise Playlest and Genra's and what not. Thanks a ton.

Senior Member registered user
    Have you opened up and taken a tour of k3b?
    CD & DVD burning software on linux will take
    a little familarization but k3b should be able to
    do all that you have asked.

Re: CD ripping

Quote Originally Posted by Phishman
    What do i do to properly rip CD's onto my computer using the highest possible quality. Size is not a concern. Also, how can i make it so i have all my music organised in a format similar to that of Windows Media Player where i can organise Playlest and Genra's and what not. Thanks a ton.
    First of all, terminology is paramount here...

Are you trying to "rip" or "burn"?

Rip has changed meaning a few times. It used to mean burning files or audio onto a device, like a CD-RW, or now, a DVD-R device. But, has currently come to mean - remove "audio tracks from a Audio CD Disc"

Burn, on the other hand, has always meant to burn files, or audio tracks, onto a CD Disc.

The previous reply to your post, was going on the assumption that you were either, one, trying to duplicate any type of CD Disc ( data or audio ) and burn it onto another CD Disc ( i.e. clone or copy ), two, "ripping" data or audio from a CD Disc to be stored as an "image" file, to be later used to burn that "image", or, three, needed to "burn" files ( either data or audio ) onto another CD Disc.

If, on the other hand, you want to "rip" audio tracks off of a CD AUDIO DISC, in audio files, to be stored on your computer, like "track1", "track2", etc... then, possibly k3b is not the right choice...

You may want to look at the following for "ripping" -==- abcde and jack -=- both do audio cd ripping, have extensive options for the processing, and a miriad of ways for storing these "ripped" audio tracks - try, if you have them installed, looking at the man pages for each - do a man abcde from within a Konsole window, ( looks like a DOS prompt screen )... If you dont have them installed, you can install them, depending on how you are running Knoppix ( either hard drive installed, poor man's installed, or just booting the CD Knoppix ) -=- Chances are, if you have a newer version of Knoppix, "abcde" probably comes installed - but dont quote me on this... Last version of Knoppix I used was v3.4, and it didnt have it installed...

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Ms. Cuddles is right on the money ripping and burning. She especially nailed abcde as a wonderful ripping/encoding tool.

ABCDE - A Better CD Encoder http://www.hispalinux.es/~data/abcde.php. Basically abcde is a scripted frontend to a ripper/encoder/tagger/renamer of music files. IYou must first install and then configure abcde before you will get it functioning like I will describe.

abcde usgae for me is as simple as dropping a CD audio disc into the cdrom drive. I type
    cd /mnt/storage1/mp3s
    and then I type
    abcde
    It will find the CD disc in the CDROM drive, query http://www.freedb.org/ so it can get the Disc's Artists, Title & track info, asks me if the queried info is correct. If so it rips the CD audio tracks to the hard drive as WAV files. Then it uses LAME to encode them to high quality variable bit-rate MP3s (LAME - Lame Ain't a MP3 Encoder, hint, it is a mp3 encoder). I use --alt-preset standard as it is a great compromise between file size and audio quality. Next it tags the mp3 with the artists/trackname info and then creates the appropriate directory structure.
    In my case, if I were to encode the Yanni album "Live at the Acropolis", abcde automatically creates the directories
    /mnt/storage1/mp3s/Yanni/Live at the Acropolis/
    and then lables my MP3s with the following format: Artist - TrackNumber - TrackTitle - AlbumTitle.mp3
    So the first track off of that CD would be named: Yanni - 01 - Santorini - Live at the Acropolis.mp3

Again, the greatest part about all this techno-mumbo-jumbo is that I drop a CD into the drive and type abcde and in about 20 minutes, it does it all for me unattended. NOTE: I had to experiment and configure it (editing a test conf file) to do exactly what I wanted.

According to the Knoppix packages listing http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix_cd/packages.txt, abcde is not included on the default Knoppic disc. In order to use abcde you will need other programs such as LAME & cdparanoia.

In order to get LAME, you will need to add a new repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. The page shows you the line you need to add http://debian.video.free.fr/. Then you should be able to install abcde:
    apt-get install abcde lame cdparanoia id3 id3v2

Happy encoding!
    James