Hi All,

I am trying to burn an image of a M$ Windoze XP Home partition onto a DVD and having had a look through the forums decided to use Part Image.

First problem: To free the DVD drive I tried "knoppix26 tohd=/mnt/sda3", after I created a fresh vfat partition as an sda3, but it failed to mount it by saying that it could not mount the sda3 partition (read only?). Not knowing how to overcome this problem I opted for the copy-to-ram method. So, I booted "Knoppix26 toram", removed the CD from the drive, inserted a new DVD and launched partimage from a root terminal.

To fit the 11GB partition of which only 5+GB is occuppied by the XP fs, I decided to use bz2. I thought that if Part Image only copies data not blank space and furthermore bzips it, it should fit within the 4.7GB of the DVD.

Second problem: Having tried the /mnt/auto/cdrom I could not mount the DVD. OK, so I created a new /mnt/dvdrw for /dev/scd0 (this how the DVDROM is recognised by knoppix) - but it would not mount that either. I changed the permissions to /dev/scd0 to allow execute rights to user and group but no luck. OK, no big shakes, I thought then that I could first save the .bz2 image onto a new partition on the hard drive and then burn it on the DVD.

Third problem: After I created the new partition as a vfat and then finished going through all the partimage menus, it won't run but it returns this error:
Code:
Cannot create temp file
[/mnt/dev/pi05030f67.tmp]. Please,
check there is space enough and
you have access rights.
Could you please correct my mistakes in the above, or suggest another way I could get partimage working?