Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxfire software install

Junior Member registered user

Foxfire software install

I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.7, connected to a windows printer. can get to my windows HD. Knoppix work without a problem. However I downloaded Foxfire browser, unzipped it into a new filefolder, installed with fioxfire-install from within Konqueror. I have no new listing in my applications list or icon anywhere to start it. I have searched the file system (as I would in Windows) but can not find how to get it started. I am relative new to Knoppix/Linux. What do I do next?
    TXS
    Bob

Member registered user
    two quick thoughts:

first: if you do a search, be sure you start from the " / " root directory. I'm running Kanotix, but when I launch "search for file" from the "K" menu, it defaults to my home directory. I have to manually change it to root " / ".

second: my copy of mozilla firefox is located in " user/share/applications ", yours might be there too.

HTH,

Paul

Member registered user
    A couple more things:

Once you've located the binary (application) you should be able to launch it in Konqueror by clicking on it.

To add it to your menu, right click on the "K" menu icon then select "menu editor". Then click on "File" => "add new item" and fill out the info. You can "drag" the completed item to wherever you want on the menu in the editor. Once you're done filling it out, be sure to "save" the new configuration.

Should work. Next time try using either "apt-get" or "Synaptic Package Manager" to install new software. Being a (almost) former Windoze user myself, I know you'll find using them to be -much- easier than what you're used to...

Paul

It is not in root/user/applications, it is foxfire (should be FIrefox) folder I created when unziping.
    I tried using K menu add menu but firefox would not start afterward. I did get on my K menu and set it to Firefox.bin in Foxfire folder. No luck. Any other ideas.
    TXS
    Bob

Member registered user
    Hi Bob,

I'm not sure I'm following you 100%, but it sounds like you're trying to use Linux as if it were Windows. If you had a "zip" file, it surely wasn't for Linux. If you put the binary in the wrong folder (or a folder of the wrong name), chances are it won't work. Usually Linux binaries have "dependencies" (kinda like Windows .dll and drivers) and if it can't find them, it won't work.

Do you have internet access through Linux? You don't even need a browser to install Firefox. Here's what I would do:

1. get connected to the internet
    2. open a terminal window (I don't know if you need root permissions to do this and I'm on a Windows system at the moment)
    3. type "apt-get update" (this will update your system's list of available "packages")
    4. type "apt-get install mozilla-firefox" (this will download and install the latest version of firefox that is available for your system)

There are other ways of doing this (using Klik and Synaptic) that might seem even easier, and sooner or later you should try all these methods.

Downloading a file and "unpacking" it is the -hardest- way of installing applications on your system and can become fairly involved. I usually avoid doing this if it's possible to get the application through apt-get, Klik or Synaptic.

IMHO, this is one of the things that makes Linux -much- easier to use than Windows... once you've learned these tools, you'll be hooked

Paul

Thanks, Bigkahuna

I updated the system.
    Firefox is up and running. Thanks
    I did need to know to go the the root to find the icon for the desktop and menu editor to put it in the start menu. SO thanksfor that also.
    FYI what did was:
    I had found FIrefox for linux (with the browser) and it had the the right extension so I unpacked it to a folder. I then ran the Firefox install.bin. That was when I could not get it to run.
    So where does one find this and other info to install apps, etc??? It did not seem easy to find anywhere till I found this board.
    TXS
    Bob

Member registered user
    You're right, there's a real shortage of good tutorials and books in the Linux community. There was one intro book ("Knowing Knoppix" I think?) book published in .pdf form that came out a few months ago, if I find the link to it I'll post it. Otherwise the best places to find the info are the Knoppix, Kanotix and Debian forums. Learning Linux takes a fair amount of determination, the tools are there, you just need to find them. You will probably become very "intimate" with the "search" button and "Google" to find what you need... I know I have

I'm glad I was able to help. I've been -getting- help on this forum for the last 6 months, it's nice to be able to -give- help instead!

All the best,

Paul

Senior Member registered user
    try

apt-get install doc-linux-html rutebook

Fingers99 rutebook

Have installed file. What do I do next? How do I use it?
    Bob

Senior Member registered user
    It's two seperate "books". Rute is perhaps the only book you'll ever need on Linux: it's Debian and RedHat focussed and -- if you followed it through -- would take you through to certification.

The HOWTO's address various Linux issues, topics and so on.

To use the HOWTOs, I suggest you open a File Manager in Super User Mode:

go to the Kmenu>System>More Programs and select File Manager Super User Mode.

Now, navigate the file manager to /usr/share/doc/HOWTO and drag and drop that directory onto your desktop. You'll have a dialogue which'll say (something like) copy here, move here, link here.

Select link here.

Now, you can access the files through your desktop without having to move them.

To do the same for rute, su to root in a terminal and do:

updatedb && exit

make a cup of coffee and when the prompt comes back do:

locate rute (you might have to do locate Rute)

This'll tell you where to navigate to with the File Manager so you can do the same again.

So, that's 3 lessons: how to create a symbolic link graphically, how to run updatedb, and how to find things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast